Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5mm spacers and their lack of 'hub lip'

Old 02-22-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Heads up that to install studs on the S2000 you will need to replace the wheel bearings. They fall apart when you pull apart the hub to access the studs.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

It can be done without pulling the hub, at least in the front.
Check this thread if you don't know how https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...-front-1080121
Old 02-23-2019, 06:04 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
It can be done without pulling the hub, at least in the front.
Check this thread if you don't know how https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...-front-1080121
In the rear it can be done too, if you are ok with shaving a part of the studs like in the link above. Maybe for the rear you have to shave off a little bit more, can't remember. At least it works for OEM length studs for sure, I replaced one on the rear without pulling the hub bearing by shaving a little bit off.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Good to know^
I just started to push out the front studs today.
Not the best feeling grinding off material from the knuckle but it will probably be ok, I hope
Old 02-23-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Got some like this I had on my civic <just for the possiblibility of design>
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-PAIR-...item33937dfc6a
Old 02-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
If it matters that much you can have some custom made. It will cost you, though. I'm personally getting some 2mm spacers made to give my BBK a little more breathing room. It's a specially made BBK for higher-offset wheels, and I'm going to be running 17x9 +63 RZIIs. With the wheels installed there's only like 1mm of clearance between the spoke and the caliper....3 would be ideal, and I think even suggested by the manufacturer. The guy I'm talking to said it should be no problem to make hub & wheel centric spacers that are only 2mm...not sure who says it can't be done....maybe from a mass production standpoint and the material they're using? The ones I'm getting are made from billet aluminum. Check out wheeladapter.com, they start their custom spacer advertisement at 5mm, so clearly they're more than confident in machining them with a bore-centric lip. But if you contact them like I did, they can do it even smaller per your request. I'll get pics of mine if you're interested, should have them in a few days. Guy makes them and ships them the same day.
Curious, why go to the added trouble/expense when you can just get a 3mm off the shelf? Is 1mm going to make or break you?
Old 02-23-2019, 08:52 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Curious, why go to the added trouble/expense when you can just get a 3mm off the shelf? Is 1mm going to make or break you?
When you see my setup, yes. It's cutting every aspect of fitment extremely close between wheel offset, BBK, and stock fender clearance (non-rolled). Reference adrs2k, my setup is exactly the same more or less.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:37 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Kyle
When you see my setup, yes. It's cutting every aspect of fitment extremely close between wheel offset, BBK, and stock fender clearance (non-rolled). Reference adrs2k, my setup is exactly the same more or less.
Well I can appreciate that. I do certainly know about threading the needle on fitments. What is the wheel and tire size set up and BBK choice?

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-23-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:24 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Well I can appreciate that. I do certainly know about threading the needle on fitments. What is the wheel and tire size set up and BBK choice?
17x9 Advan RZII +63 w/ 255 tires square. I went with the V8Roadsters Stoptech STR43 kit that Ricky Flowers helped develop. It's a bit more friendly with higher-offset wheels as opposed to other BBKs, but not by much. Even with the +63 offset up front on a 9 inch wheel with a 255 tire the fit is still very tight on a lowered car. I do know that Adam still did some minor modifications to his front fenders, I believe he bent the tabs upwards slightly, but not a full on roll of the entire lip. At that point every mm helps, so that's why he and myself as well were splitting hairs with the sizing of the spacers. I believe he milled down some 3mm off-the-shelfers to 2mm. I personally don't have access to getting stuff machined for me, and if I paid someone to mill mine down I might as well just get some bespoke ones made to my specs instead; they were still very expensive though, I doubt many people would bother, but given how much thought and money I've put into my planned build so far it wasn't a stretch for me to opt for them.

Here's a pic he posted of his setup without a spacer, I believe he said it was about a credit card's worth of clearance or 1mm-ish, I believe most BBK manufacturers call for around 3-5mm of clearance between spoke and caliper typically.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Community Organizer

^^^Good info. At first glance that caliper looks like my trophy. Is the ST43 a slimmer design then all others that makes this fit possible? A good buddy of mine is pretty firm on not wanting to touch his fenders, but would like a BBK ideally. Will pass this info on to him. Wheel choices are tough enough with stock fenders, and introducing a BBK into the mix just seems impossible. I'm impressed you are also able to run a 255 up front and being lowered to boot without rubbing. This all isn't a combination that would have thought even possible. Id probably steer him towards a 225 or 245 up front for some added safety margin. He does prefer a stagger anyway. Myself, well im sure you have heard of my fitments

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-24-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: 5mm spacers and their lack of 'hub lip'