Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5mm spacers and their lack of 'hub lip'

Old 02-24-2019, 07:54 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
^^^Good info. At first glance that caliper looks like my trophy. Is the ST43 a slimmer design then all others that makes this fit possible? A good buddy of mine is pretty firm on not wanting to touch his fenders, but would like a BBK ideally. Will pass this info on to him. Wheel choices are tough enough with stock fenders, and introducing a BBK into the mix just seems impossible. I'm impressed you are also able to run a 255 up front and being lowered to boot without rubbing. This all isn't a combination that would have thought even possible. Id probably steer him towards a 225 or 245 up front for some added safety margin. He does prefer a stagger anyway. Myself, well im sure you have heard of my fitments
Supposedly their BBK STR-43 caliper was made just for the s2000, or so they say. On their site it says that it's specially made by Stoptech for the application. All I know is it fits, lol. Your trophy kit has much larger calipers I believe; 6 piston? These are 4 pots based on the C43 caliper.

(photo cred goes to adrs2k lol)

Here's a link to the kit I have: https://v8roadsters.com/product/v8r-...43-trophy-kit/

All of the known wheel fitments are posted in there as well. I was considering running a narrower tire up front for a slight stretch, but I do know that Adam is able to make it work. I'm not going to be stupid low, probably no more than 3/4", and I'll be running around -3* of camber out front, but we'll see. Something about a meaty tire that really gets me. And yeah I know all about your specs and fitment hahaha.

Last edited by Kyle; 02-24-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

^^^ No the trophy is also 4 pot for the s2k. Looks identical to that one at first glance. I think the st43 is slightly lighter weight so must be slimmer in places, as i recall seeing a thread on it. Either way i think they are about the same cost, so might as well go with the st43, if fitment is a big issue. Thanks for the info
Old 02-24-2019, 09:00 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Just to raise awareness, i measured the oem security lugnut bolt weight. Turns out it is about 20grams heavier than the 4 other oem bolts per wheel. Thats 20grams of rotating weight that is unaccounted for. Will it make absolutely any difference on ride quality? No. But it definitely wont hurt it. Main reason for removing the 4 security lugnuts for me was i hated keeping track of the security socket. That and changing between 19mm socket and special socket per wheel got annoying quick. Now i can remove all lugnuts with just a 19mm for convenience sake. And i doubt anyone wants to steal 17" rims nowadays anyway.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:48 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

If you go with aluminum nuts instead you will save another 150-200g.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

^^^ No the trophy is also 4 pot for the s2k. Looks identical to that one at first glance. I think the st43 is slightly lighter weight so must be slimmer in places, as i recall seeing a thread on it. Either way i think they are about the same cost, so might as well go with the st43, if fitment is a big issue. Thanks for the info
The STR43 as pictured above is a new Stoptech caliper, but it is only available as part of the V8Roadsters kit. It is a trophy caliper (motorsports line), but its smaller overall, holds 20mm brake pad, and is almost half the weight of the current ST40 based Trophy Kit. STR43 kit was designed to be the most offset friendly BBK on the market all while not sacrificing any performance.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by adrs2k
The STR43 as pictured above is a new Stoptech caliper, but it is only available as part of the V8Roadsters kit. It is a trophy caliper (motorsports line), but its smaller overall, holds 20mm brake pad, and is almost half the weight of the current ST40 based Trophy Kit. STR43 kit was designed to be the most offset friendly BBK on the market all while not sacrificing any performance.
Cool thanks for the info. Sounds good in theory on them holding up. Thermal capacity at the track is the primary reason for running a BBK, hence the BIG in BBK. If the calipers are smaller and lighter and can still withstand the heat and abuse at the track, than seems like a winner. I imagine most the weight savings is in the rotors.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Cool thanks for the info. Sounds good in theory on them holding up. Thermal capacity at the track is the primary reason for running a BBK, hence the BIG in BBK. If the calipers are smaller and lighter and can still withstand the heat and abuse at the track, than seems like a winner. I imagine most the weight savings is in the rotors.
The weight savings is in the caliper. I don't know what the rotor/hat combo difference is.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Community Organizer

The weight savings is in the caliper. I don't know what the rotor/hat combo difference is.
How could they shave half the weight off the caliper and have it be effective at alleviating heat transfer and also be stiff? Id have to see them side by side to see how much smaller the caliper is/where the material is shaved from. Didn't think there was much left of the caliper to trim after the standard ST40 to trophy caliper revision. That's why I was thinking a lot of it has to be in a smaller/lighter rotor package, but again too small/too light and its no longer in theory an effective BBK. At some point the only benefit going to this from stock is the 4 piston.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:00 PM

How could they shave half the weight off the caliper and have it be effective at alleviating heat transfer and also be stiff? Id have to see them side by side to see how much smaller the caliper is/where the material is shaved from. Didn't think there was much left of the caliper to trim after the standard ST40 to trophy caliper revision. That's why I was thinking a lot of it has to be in a smaller/lighter rotor package, but again too small/too light and its no longer in theory an effective BBK. At some point the only benefit going to this from stock is the 4 piston.
The ST40 design has been around for ages and its a BIG caliper. Stoptech has optimized and removed all the excess material on their entire new line of Motorsports calipers (since the ST40 came out there have been plenty of advances in materials and engineering). Their C43 caliper weighs a little less than the STR43 and both weigh significantly less than the ST40 which is really overkill for the S2k. For years Stoptech took their tried and true ST40 and used it for every application possible and did not have many caliper options that were optimized for different vehicles (power, weight, wheel size, contact patch, etc). Therefore all we ever had was the ST40 kit. To me its pretty cool that there are more optimized options available now. Not saying "better" because only a specific end user can really quantify what "better" means. For me, I can say the STR43 is better because it fits my setup easier and gave me some other options that I prefer over the ST40 kits.

I have zero concern about the smaller and lighter STR43 having any issues managing heat and its already been used and abused on track during development. The STR43 uses a 328x28mm rotor...so still a big rotor .
Old 02-25-2019, 12:06 PM
Community Organizer

I have zero concern about the smaller and lighter STR43 having any issues managing heat and its already been used and abused on track during development. The STR43 uses a 328x28mm rotor...so still a big rotor .
Nice Well I very may have considered the STR43 over the trophy if it was available 2 years ago. But it wasn't, and the trophy like the STR43 is a beautiful looking piece of manufacturing that does as it was intended, even if its not as light. I don't mind a little overkill, that's kind of the whole point of my car anyway lol. At least its lighter and stiffer then the base ST40 caliper, as it should be for another roughly $500 for the kit.

Quick Reply: 5mm spacers and their lack of 'hub lip'