Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advan RZII fit question/opinions

Old 09-11-2018, 10:58 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Advan RZII fit question/opinions

Okay so I got my wheels in finally. 17x9 +63 RZII square setup in Racing Bronze. My previous thread is probably going to be right above/below this where I was back and forth about what wheels I wanted to run due to not wanting to mod fenders at all. Adrs2k's CR was mentioned running RSIIs which are virtually identical in the above mentioned setup w/ 255s all the way around I believe. As far as what's been stated he bent the fender liner tabs just for safety but nothing else. My understanding is this setup fits dangerously close but it's doable if you want to go a little lower than stock, which I do.

My main plan was to run them up front with 3mm spacers which will supposedly allow me to clear a stoptech st40 kit., but if I'm already dangerously close I'd rather not go any further. Which brings me to this dilemma. I hastily ordered these wheels knowing they'd work for me more or less, without knowing that there was in fact a 17x8 +54 offset sizing available as well which I believe would work in the front without any fear of rubbing whatsoever....they're only 1/2" wider than stock with similar offset. Evasive won't let me return and exchange 2 because these were custom order. That's fine but I'm trying to assess if I should just drop the idea of a bbk, and run a stagger setup without worry. This will be a street car, and apparently the stagger is better for street driving. Evasive said I'd require a roll for the 17x8 +54s....I flat out don't believe them on that one lol. I might just try and cut my losses and see if someone wants to buy 2 of these for a discount
Old 09-11-2018, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 17x9 +63s RSIIs on all 4 corners running 255/40/17 AD08Rs and run 3 mm spacers. You likely can't clear the out of the box ST40 kit, you likely can clear the v8roadsters ST43 kit though.

Rubbing will depend on more than just offset, camber, ride height, and even spring stiffness affect it too. I run a fairly stiff spring at 12k front so the amount of potential contact is pretty low, couple that with -3.0 degrees of camber and it's even better as the edge of the tire will be pulled in further. But if you want to be extra sure you won't do any damage to your fenders just get a heat gun and blow on those fender tabs for a few minutes and push them up maybe 30-45 degrees.

I have somewhere between a 1.5 to 2 finger gap on all 4 corners, and i haven't felt any rubbing, but it did rub when it was lower.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by silhouette
I have 17x9 +63s RSIIs on all 4 corners running 255/40/17 AD08Rs and run 3 mm spacers. You likely can't clear the out of the box ST40 kit, you likely can clear the v8roadsters ST43 kit though.

Rubbing will depend on more than just offset, camber, ride height, and even spring stiffness affect it too. I run a fairly stiff spring at 12k front so the amount of potential contact is pretty low, couple that with -3.0 degrees of camber and it's even better as the edge of the tire will be pulled in further. But if you want to be extra sure you won't do any damage to your fenders just get a heat gun and blow on those fender tabs for a few minutes and push them up maybe 30-45 degrees.

I have somewhere between a 1.5 to 2 finger gap on all 4 corners, and i haven't felt any rubbing, but it did rub when it was lower.
Thank you for chiming in; it sounds like your car is sitting about where I wanted to have mine in terms of finger gap/ride height setting. I had also planned on maxing out the stock camber adjustment in front @ -3 degrees as well I believe is what stock allows. Regarding the brakes you're saying you still can't clear even with +3mm spacers? That sucks for me....If such is the case it's looking like I won't be running a bbk on this car regardless. And given your situation with the spacers which I most likely won't be running I'd imagine I'll be pretty safe with the camber up front and 12k springs. My plan was 12/10k

Edit: You sir, are awesome. the STR43 trophy kit clears 17x9 +63 without spacers....this is exactly what I needed to know. Feeling a lot better about my setup now. Admittedly I'd never even heard of this setup before now....Figured it would be a lot more popular with s2k guys given the trouble we have with offsets and wheel fit/clearing bbks

Last edited by Kyle; 09-12-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:43 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

So I originally ran RS3 with my Advan's and trimmed the front bumper liner and bent the tabs. I never rubbed the outside fender front or rear. As I tracked more, I bent the tabs more. Then I went AD08R which are wider and decided to do a gentle roll up front and out back. I would occasionally rub in the rear at the bumper tab when running a 3mm spacer in the rear and -3 camber. I do rub on the inside frame rail on on track or under a lot of compression on the street (high speed section with a big bump or dip).

I switched tires to Maxxis and I have a 3mm rear spacer in and I do not rub. The Maxxis tires are narrower than the Advans. I've done a test fit a few times with a 3mm spacer up front and it looks like I still have plenty of clearance to the outer fender.

As silhouette mentioned, there is a new BBK that is available to order designed by V8 Roadsters that utilizes a STR43 caliper, custom mounting bracket, custom rotor hat, and a 328x28mm rotor. https://v8roadsters.com/product/v8r-...43-trophy-kit/. The RSII will also fit a ST40 or Trophy kit with a 3-4mm spacer.

I actually shipped a spare RSII wheel to a friend that is helping develop the kit and my wheel bolted on and cleared with no spacer (that is my wheel in those pictures on the site). I think there was maybe 1-2mm clearance. We also test fit a 3mm spacer and there was plenty of room! I am planning on buying this kit when its finished because I have always wanted a BBK and now there is an option that requires no spacer; or a very small spacer to be extra safe (I have a friend that will mill down a 3mm spacer for me to either 1mm or 2mm. I want to get the kit and measure everything before I decide).
The following users liked this post:
Jpmelfi (09-25-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by silhouette

Hey all. I can confirm that the 17x9 +63 RSII fit the V8Roadsters kit without a spacer. There was only about 1.5 mm of clearance, but it fit. I would personally add a 3mm spacer (or whichever spacer you're comfortable with) as it allows for miles of room between the caliper face and the back of the wheel spokes. The STR43 when bolted to the S2000 allows for almost 5mm more spoke clearance than an ST40,/ST40 Trophy. Let me know if you have any questions about the kit, as I'm the one that helped design it and have been testing it for some months now.
The following users liked this post:
adrs2k (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by adrs2k
So I originally ran RS3 with my Advan's and trimmed the front bumper liner and bent the tabs. I never rubbed the outside fender front or rear. As I tracked more, I bent the tabs more. Then I went AD08R which are wider and decided to do a gentle roll up front and out back. I would occasionally rub in the rear at the bumper tab when running a 3mm spacer in the rear and -3 camber. I do rub on the inside frame rail on on track or under a lot of compression on the street (high speed section with a big bump or dip).

I switched tires to Maxxis and I have a 3mm rear spacer in and I do not rub. The Maxxis tires are narrower than the Advans. I've done a test fit a few times with a 3mm spacer up front and it looks like I still have plenty of clearance to the outer fender.

As silhouette mentioned, there is a new BBK that is available to order designed by V8 Roadsters that utilizes a STR43 caliper, custom mounting bracket, custom rotor hat, and a 328x28mm rotor. https://v8roadsters.com/product/v8r-...43-trophy-kit/. The RSII will also fit a ST40 or Trophy kit with a 3-4mm spacer.

I actually shipped a spare RSII wheel to a friend that is helping develop the kit and my wheel bolted on and cleared with no spacer (that is my wheel in those pictures on the site). I think there was maybe 1-2mm clearance. We also test fit a 3mm spacer and there was plenty of room! I am planning on buying this kit when its finished because I have always wanted a BBK and now there is an option that requires no spacer; or a very small spacer to be extra safe (I have a friend that will mill down a 3mm spacer for me to either 1mm or 2mm. I want to get the kit and measure everything before I decide).
Thank you for coming in! Once I saw your car I knew the RS/RZ was for me. Only reason I went RZ is because they’re available in Racing Bronze; but the design difference is so subtle it doesn’t matter much.

Keep me in the loop when you get the kit and what you decided on for spacers up front so I can emulate you Also, if you don’t mind, what brand of spacers are you running? I wanted the T1Rs but it doesn’t look like they’re made anymore.

So this is a relatively new kit, I see now. Awesome, glad it’s been a slow process for me with my build as far as procuring parts; this new brake kit dropped at just the right time!
Old 09-12-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Hey all. I can confirm that the 17x9 +63 RSII fit the V8Roadsters kit without a spacer. There was only about 1.5 mm of clearance, but it fit. I would personally add a 3mm spacer (or whichever spacer you're comfortable with) as it allows for miles of room between the caliper face and the back of the wheel spokes. The STR43 when bolted to the S2000 allows for almost 5mm more spoke clearance than an ST40,/ST40 Trophy. Let me know if you have any questions about the kit, as I'm the one that helped design it and have been testing it for some months now.
Thanks for developing this kit! Any plans for a group buy? Unless I haven’t seen it I think this kit should get an official thread!
Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys

Thank you for coming in! Once I saw your car I knew the RS/RZ was for me. Only reason I went RZ is because they’re available in Racing Bronze; but the design difference is so subtle it doesn’t matter much.

Keep me in the loop when you get the kit and what you decided on for spacers up front so I can emulate you Also, if you don’t mind, what brand of spacers are you running? I wanted the T1Rs but it doesn’t look like they’re made anymore.

So this is a relatively new kit, I see now. Awesome, glad it’s been a slow process for me with my build as far as procuring parts; this new brake kit dropped at just the right time!

Thanks for developing this kit! Any plans for a group buy? Unless I haven’t seen it I think this kit should get an official thread!

I was doing my daily browsing and saw the post with my name in it, haha. I will provide an update and details, hopefully within the next month. I currently have project kics 3mm spacers (http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...-PLATE-SPACERS). I've searched a lot for 1-2mm but can't find them. I plan to slap my current 3mm from the rear up front to test the fitment and then either stick with the 3mm or give them to a friend to mill down to maybe 1.5mm or 2mm. It is a small difference, but I would prefer to play it as safe as possible and use the smallest spacer possible since my current setup works so well.

Check out Ricky's build thread. He has the prototype kit and has been tracking it and street driving it for awhile. I am sure there will be lots more official information once the final parts arrive and the first batches are shipped out.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Well, I'm not a sponsor or anything, and I'm pretty sure I can't make a thread for it. I'll ask. In regards to pricing, the first ten kits are going to be sold for $1950, with the price to increase thereafter. There is no "group buy" but that will be the introductory price. It is on sale now, and is scheduled to ship next week.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Just got word that the rotors just shipped and the intermediates are being packaged, if all goes well I expect it to ship some time next week.

Quick Reply: Advan RZII fit question/opinions