Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else get anxious when ordering a brand new set of wheels?

Old 05-26-2020, 04:49 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Anyone else get anxious when ordering a brand new set of wheels?

Sorry, this isn't specific to the S2000, but since I'm here more often than my daily car, and the fact that the most visited Mazdaspeed forum is down indefinitely. I figured I share it here with you guys instead.

Recently, I needed to replace my corroded summer wheels. They were Enkei RSV. During a wash, I discovered a crack along the surface of the wheel. Did I mention they were heavily corroded, don't worry I picked them up for cheap $300? So the cost of having them re-finished would either break even what I could sell them for, I decided to get a different set, and to change out the look.

Well, browsing used market, it was difficult to find something that would (1) fit my car and (2) something that I actually liked. I actually banged my head against the wall when the set of used wheels I purchased did not fit. Instead of waiting for another desirable wheels to pop up, I decided to go into the new market and pick what I wanted.

And here comes the many level of stress and anxiety. And it's all having to do with the price of new wheels, lack of readily available information, and the fact it's an aging car. Here's my experience for ordering wheels for my 2009 Mazdaspeed 3:
1) Will it fit? I mentioned that a prominent forum was taken down and thus, damn near a decade's worth of knowledge and answer was lost. Google is suddenly not all that useful when the source of the material is no longer available. I went on Fitment Industry as well to look. Problem is, they cater to idiots who love to slam their cars and think rubbing and scraping is a rite of passage. So, that didn't help.
2) Are my preliminary sizing/fitment correct? I learned what I could understand about offset and let's hope it will fit and clear with no problems . Again, kind of an issue when a massive bank of knowledge is no longer available.
3) How long will the honeymoon period last? Every thing new and shiny is going to look great. But what if upon unboxing, that "other color" you kind of considered actually looks better? But what about a year from now? Or when you suddenly see a design you didn't think you'd like, but you do?
4) It's an aging daily driver, how long are am going to keep it? My 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 is at 110,000miles and I am the original owner. Trust me, there's nothing wrong with the car, it's not going to be replaced because of a mechanical failure. A decade's worth of daily driving have prompted me to think about getting something new and different. Unlike the S2000, my Mazdaspeed 3 is old to me.
5) Do I really want to throw ~$1,000+ of cost into a car, where the resale value is not that strong in the market? If I am being realistic, $8,000 for my car is a damn good offer. So, do the math there.

I've never ordered brand new wheels before, so I never honestly felt this way before. What are your experiences when you ordered your wheels, expensive or not? Because you've read up until this point, here's a look at me buying wheels:

By the way, yes... I did order me some new wheels . Because if I didn't that means I'm getting rid of it and incurring new monthly payments that I haven't had for the last 5 or 6 years. (And it's a great feeling!)
Old 05-27-2020, 07:07 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Some of us own wheels the cost of a lot of used cars and they depreciate the moment they are unboxed. Wheels in all regards are very personalized and people may feel general ideas of good wheels but then comes down to color/fitment for bbk/clearance for fenders/size/psychology of the way it sits/rolling/personal feels etc.

Choosing to drive means the fact some form of damage will occur. I accept but it feels bad, got some road scars on new ce28 within one month of ownership.

It’s one of those things if you really want it and truly for the passionate if exceeding normal price range for wheels to get the job done i.e volks/hre/bbs etc.

Considering you already need new wheels it’s not a bad idea to get what you really want. Disappointing to hear a forum with vast knowledge for your Mazda went down. The whole stance shit is meh but it’s usually the people who do the bad/questionable shit. Although 1000+ wheels on a 8000$ car is nothing. As you mention about the stance shit, some of them putting that much on 2000$ cars hahaha. Anyways even with what I said up top, someone will probably want your wheels eventually if you decide to sell them at the depreciated market cost which usually isn’t bad if it’s a desirable wheel/color combo.

anxiety is probably normal Even more so with expensive wheels. the cheapest set of wheels and tire combo should exceed 200$ on steelies and shit tires. They’re rolling money that can take damage

Ive seen some ms3 on some x9 Rpf1 on 235 up to 255 tires so you should not have a problem fitting something good/decent
The following users liked this post:
Say Chi Sin Lo (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by EffWun
Some of us own wheels the cost of a lot of used cars and they depreciate the moment they are unboxed. Wheels in all regards are very personalized and people may feel general ideas of good wheels but then comes down to color/fitment for bbk/clearance for fenders/size/psychology of the way it sits/rolling/personal feels etc.

Choosing to drive means the fact some form of damage will occur. I accept but it feels bad, got some road scars on new ce28 within one month of ownership.

It’s one of those things if you really want it and truly for the passionate if exceeding normal price range for wheels to get the job done i.e volks/hre/bbs etc.

Considering you already need new wheels it’s not a bad idea to get what you really want. Disappointing to hear a forum with vast knowledge for your Mazda went down. The whole stance shit is meh but it’s usually the people who do the bad/questionable shit. Although 1000+ wheels on a 8000$ car is nothing. As you mention about the stance shit, some of them putting that much on 2000$ cars hahaha. Anyways even with what I said up top, someone will probably want your wheels eventually if you decide to sell them at the depreciated market cost which usually isn’t bad if it’s a desirable wheel/color combo.

anxiety is probably normal Even more so with expensive wheels. the cheapest set of wheels and tire combo should exceed 200$ on steelies and shit tires. They’re rolling money that can take damage

Ive seen some ms3 on some x9 Rpf1 on 235 up to 255 tires so you should not have a problem fitting something good/decent
Yeah I don't know if I can ever justify the cost on stuff like Volks, Advans, and etc. I see their appeal and merits. But good god man, $3000+ on wheels alone is tough to stomach. Especially like you said, the minute the touch the ground, they're exposed to all kinds of road debris and etc. Maybe one day, I will spend that kind of money on a brand new car.

I really can't justify spending that much on an aging, and especially old-to-me car. Hahaha, $1000 already sound excessive to me.

HOWEVER, I'm super looking forward to them now. I'll add pictures once they arrive and mounted onto the car.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sometimes you can find clearance pricing, or a really good deal, on a set of rims. I feel the same way about dropping $3k on a set of volks: though my heart says yes, the wallet says no. I got lucky and found a good compromise: $1400 for 17x9 Advan rz2 in bronze. They were brand new and on clearance from Evasive.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
Sometimes you can find clearance pricing, or a really good deal, on a set of rims. I feel the same way about dropping $3k on a set of volks: though my heart says yes, the wallet says no. I got lucky and found a good compromise: $1400 for 17x9 Advan rz2 in bronze. They were brand new and on clearance from Evasive.
That's an amazing deal! Man, wish there were some clearance deals now. I looked on Evasive as well, but no luck.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:19 AM

Did your wheels come in?
Old 06-14-2020, 12:40 AM

Did your wheels come in?
Yes sir they did!

They look and fit even better than I could have imagined/calculated:

WARNING! LOTS OF PICTURES

The following users liked this post:
EffWun (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:24 PM

Looks and suits the Mazda hatch, good choice. Some semblence to gram light.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:44 AM

Looks and suits the Mazda hatch, good choice. Some semblence to gram light.
I forget which ones, but Gram Lights were the reason why I have a soft spot for clean, simple 5-spoke design wheels. Yeah these absolutely look like a less expensive alternative to them. I'm very happy with them.

Also, the light gunmetal finish of "Storm Grey" gives my white car a nice subtle contrast. Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I do this a lot. I've purchased new BBS wheels for a few of my old VWs I've always come out okay on them but it's just such a chunk of change for something that is largely cosmetic. What makes it worse is when you find the thing you've tirelessly shopped for used after buying them new.

That's where I am on my S2K. I know I want to do wheels for my AP1 but when I look at the price of ZE40s or something I really like I just can't pull the trigger. I'm on some AP2 wheels which is nice but I'd like to upgrade just to switch up the looks. Will I do it? Who knows.

Enkeis look good on your hatch. Also makes me miss living in the city.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get anxious when ordering a brand new set of wheels?