Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dunlap replacement tires are squirrly. need advice.

Old 11-22-2002, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dunlap replacement tires are squirrly. need advice.

Hello,

I replaced my back tires with Dunlaps and the car handles like sh*t now. Like I'm driving in a strong cross wind. It does not feel solid at all and in fact is a little scary corner on the freeway.

Here is the story. I called the Honda dealership to get the tires, they said , "sure thing, bring it in toromow." I did and got a call later that morning. They would have to order the exact same tires but they could put on some Dunlaps. I'm not "tire" educated, but he said the rating was the same and repeated several times that these are "better" tires and would last longer.

The tread is vertical and not diagonal like the original tires. Sorry for my lack of technique terms here.

I have been unable to reach them by phone and will call back soon. I can not continue with the tires I have. Has anyone experienced this before? Thought I could trust the Honda service manager guy. Are they slick because they are new? That seemed logical, but when I drove the car off the lot 1.5 years ago with new tires, it handled great.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-22-2002, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have the model of the tires? are these SP5000/8000/9000 tires? and what is the size?

Any of the dunlops are going to handle like crap on this car. On some other cars they work very well, but this car is twitchy. You'll also notice even if you hit a bump, your back end will get squirley. Its more annoying than anything, and it drives your level of driving confidence down down down.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:30 AM

I haven't been on this site since tirerack & this tire forum. I see now that I could have save money ordering from them. Next time.

No one has experienced this problem with the squirrlyness??
Old 11-22-2002, 10:33 AM

Thanks,
I'll go out to my car in a minute and bring back the specs to post for your review.

I don't know what this means, "SP5000/8000/9000", but i'll look for it.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:48 AM

Schatten,

Here is the info, what do you make of it? The handling is not just a little sucky, it really sucks.

Dunlop P225/50ZR16
(mount on 16.5 dia rims)
SP Sport 8000
4 plies
Dot DBWX C33R (whatever that means).
Old 11-22-2002, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunlop - company name
SP Sport 8000 - or just SP 8000's for short, that's the model
225/50/16 - that's the size. This is the rear tire which is different than the fronts, and I'm quite sure this is the WRONG TIRE SIZE.

If you look at the top of this forum, there is a NOTE about correct tire sizes. While the stock is 225, its actually a really w i d e 225, and if you are going to go with anything other than the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) S02', then you need to go with 245's. But even a 245 for the SP8000's they will be twitchy, squirrely, and they just don't work for this car at all.

Sorry for your problems, I hope you get ahold of the dealership regarding this matter.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In general, Honda dealers know almost nothing about this car. They would be the absolute LAST place I would go to buy tires. And Schatten is correct about the rear tire size. You need to go with 245's (maybe even 255's) if you don't go with the OEM tire.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:19 PM

exactly. check the rear tire size. should be at least 245s. you're losing rear traction you had by running smaller diameter tires in the rear.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:29 PM

I called them. If they can not get me the OEM, I'll purchase elsewhere. Not worth it. They told me to drop it off Monday. He's going to check with the local tire dealer they buy their tires thru. He hadn't heard of this issue, but it sounded sincere in wanting to 'make it right'.

thanks guys, don't know where else i could have gotten this info.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:40 PM

Yes, I read thru, "NOTICE: Correct Rear Tire Size ( 1 2 )"

What's with all the angry and pettiness?

Quick Reply: dunlap replacement tires are squirrly. need advice.