Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM tires vs others

Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OEM tires vs others

The rear tires on car will be wearing out within the next year or so and I'll be looking for new tires. It's a given that I'm going with something different than the OEM rubber that's on there now, but it has me wondering how other tires compare to what I currently have.

If you look at the Tirerack surveys, the numbers on the RE050 are downright bad. They are literally at the bottom of the pack. Considering this, and the insanely high price on them, you have to wonder why ANYONE would even think of putting these tires back on the car.

Regardless, the RE050s have the reputation for being a very stiff riding tire. To anyone with experience with other tires, how do the OEMs compare to say the Starspecs and other Max performance tires? The Starspecs seem like they would be the ticket for me, but I've been leery of reports of stiff sidewalls with these tires. I've already been through that with the OEMs and I just want something a little smoother next time around.

Thoughts?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First off if you stay in a Max or Extreme performance tires they are going to have stiff side walls. Secondly if you do just change the rear you would want to stay in the same kind of tire. Mixing the Star Spec with the OE front tire is going to make the car under steer. For normal driving that would not be an issue but in an emergency situation it could be a problem.
If you want a smoother riding tire take a look at the Bridgestone RE760 Sport or the Continental DW.
If I can help let me know.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

re050 are not amazing but still quite good.
for the money there are much grippier options available.
if re050 would cost half they would be worth looking into for some applications.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:16 PM

I wonder why the RE050s rate so poorly on TireRack's website. At the price they sell, I would assume that *most* of these reviews come from people who have them on their car from the factory. If these folks are not accustomed to high performance tires, they would probably rate them below average in ride, noise, and treadlife. Any other ideas?

And I mention the sidewalls because someone wrote in one of their reviews that they went from RE050s to Star Specs and the ride was "much smoother". I'm not expecting anything drastic, but I wouldn't want anything harsher riding than the RE050s. Equal or slightly softer I could deal with.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Continental DW, I really cant stop raving about these tires. Much better dry grip compared to my old Re050s, phenomenal handling in heavy downpours, and an even smoother quieter ride, and to top it all off? They can be had for a few hundred less than the bridgestones!

check my review https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/872...me-contact-dw/
Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the DWS? Difference from DW?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 AM

HTR ZIII would be a good choice for you
Old 08-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pvtryan
How about the DWS? Difference from DW?
The DWS is an all-season tire, and the DW is a max performance summer tire.

They are different classes of tire, I have DWS for spring and fall in Norhtern Ohio, but, have summer tires.

What tires are best depends on where you are, how you drive, and what weather you expect to drive in.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 PM

I live in Atlanta and it's deathly hot most of the year. Winters are mild and we only see a few days (maybe up to a week) of snow per year. I have another car for my DD when it snows, so that won't play a role.

The HTR ZIIIs look mediocre by most accounts. I would get the DWs before I get those. What I'm actually considering is picking up a pair of Michelin PS2s in closeout for $179 each - which is a steal.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 PM

i haven't read one bad things about michelin's newer PSS...i was considering the new S04s for a while but now i am convinced the michelins will be the best for their category.

Quick Reply: OEM tires vs others