Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSS's vs RE-71R's

Old 04-09-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts
Default PSS's vs RE-71R's

Looking for some advise.

Current set up:
Lowered on Eibach Springs
15mm spacers all round
OEM 17's
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 215/255's with only 1 summer season on them.
215 => Sect. Width 8.4" and Tread Width 7.7"
245 => Sect. Width 9.8" and Tread Width of 8.5"

I'm adding power to the car this spring (KW Kit) and thinking about rubber. I'd like to retain my 15mm spacers if I can as I really like the current stance and have very little to no rubbing issues currently.

Considering Potenza RE-71-R's in a 225/255 set up.
225 => Sec Width of 8.9" and a Tread Width of 7.6".
255 => Sec Width of 10.2" and Tread Width of 8.9"

My questions:
1. Do you think I'd have any rubbing issues with the 225/255's?
2. Are the 71-R's that much better to make this even worth it? The 71-R's 225's have the same tread width as my PSS's but may rub due to a wider Sec width. Will I even get any more traction given same tread width??
3. The 71-R's 255's only have a 0.4" wider tread width than the PSS 245's. Again - are the 71-R's that much sticker than the PSS's to justify the switch?

I'm basically trying to decide if it's even worth it given what seems to be very little increase in width on the rear and next to no increase in width in the front? I do wish the PSS tires had a harder side wall but other than that they are great.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the main point here is that the RE71Rs will have a significantly higher grip level than the Mi PSS. The tread compound is designed for autocross and track day lap times. With increased power coming, I think you would be better off with the RE71Rs. If you want to daily the car only, with occasional canyon runs, then the PSS will do the job.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks
The car will be a street car - no canyons around here either. Yes spirited driving but probably 0 track time too.
Maybe I'll see how she does with the current rubber then decide if I need more traction.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just installed RE71Rs with 225/255 and they fit great. But I opted to _not_ lower my car at all from stock (in fact I am just a bit higher in the rear at 14" vs 13.75" on stock AP1 I measured at work). Got tired of bottoming out when going over speed bumps, now I can drive over speed bumps without concern about someone rear-ending me for going so slow over them.

Really happy with the 225/255 RE71Rs, but it has been cold in MA so far this Spring. First time I pulled out of my driveway I fishtailed and felt like I was on marbles due to the rubber being so cold. Since then I've gotten them warm and had a couple spirited driving sessions.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snitm
I just installed RE71Rs with 225/255 and they fit great. But I opted to _not_ lower my car at all from stock (in fact I am just a bit higher in the rear at 14" vs 13.75" on stock AP1 I measured at work). Got tired of bottoming out when going over speed bumps, now I can drive over speed bumps without concern about someone rear-ending me for going so slow over them.

Really happy with the 225/255 RE71Rs, but it has been cold in MA so far this Spring. First time I pulled out of my driveway I fishtailed and felt like I was on marbles due to the rubber being so cold. Since then I've gotten them warm and had a couple spirited driving sessions.
The main concern I hear over these tires is that they are extremely noisy. Could you give us your impressions regarding the tread noise at different speeds? It has also been stated that they become louder the more they wear. I am also about to put tires on my S and this is the only thing keeping me from the RE-71R's. I was going to opt for the Star Specs instead due to the similar performance but decreased volume. However, they are out of stock for the rears at Tire Rack, as they are discontinued due to the ZIII's.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I went from PSS to RE71R on the FD, and honestly I didn't notice the noise.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
I went from PSS to RE71R on the FD, and honestly I didn't notice the noise.

Is there perhaps another huge source of noise in the car that's loud enough to drown out a space shuttle launch....?
Old 04-13-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Brady936
The main concern I hear over these tires is that they are extremely noisy. Could you give us your impressions regarding the tread noise at different speeds? It has also been stated that they become louder the more they wear. I am also about to put tires on my S and this is the only thing keeping me from the RE-71R's. I was going to opt for the Star Specs instead due to the similar performance but decreased volume. However, they are out of stock for the rears at Tire Rack, as they are discontinued due to the ZIII's.
The 71R is ridiculously noisy.

The MPSS is fairly quiet.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Re71r is a true performance tire, whereas the PSS makes compromise for longevity and wet conditions.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
Re71r is a true performance tire, whereas the PSS makes compromise for longevity and wet conditions.
Which is precisely why the PSS fits better for the OP's use case. The main selling point of the re71r is super high grip levels for those last tenths of seconds (lap times). The PSS will be a much better street tire - longer lasting, better in the cold, quieter, with comparable grip levels that you will see on the street.

Also, the re71r is best paired with coilovers - you're way under sprung/damped for these tires. With more grip comes more roll - which would cause more wear/tear on your suspension components. I guarantee that the PSS will better match the mods you currently have on your car, as well as for your intended use

Quick Reply: PSS's vs RE-71R's