Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-02s for the rear, S-03s for the front?

Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-02s for the rear, S-03s for the front?

hello.

i'm ready to be made fun of as I post this question but what kind of danger would I be embracing if I were to drive S02 rear tires with S03 front tires?

And what difference is there between s02s and s03s?
Thank you very much in advance.

KS
Old 01-23-2006, 12:24 AM

i just did some research and found out s03s may be what i need for my type of driving...!

anyways, my 1st question still remains...! thank you
Old 01-23-2006, 06:36 AM
dcg

I'd think this would make for interesting (read: extremely dangerous) wet weather driving, as the S-03s are much better in the wet.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:37 AM

I don't think it is a good idea to mix tires on a car. Tires will exhibit varying levels of grip under specific circumstances.

For instance, the S02 and S03 may grip the same on warm dry pavement, but not in the wet.

The S03 is reportedly a better wet weather tire, so in the wet you will suddenly find that your car oversteers relative to the handling on dry pavement.

Why take the risk? Maintaining proper tires on your car is the cheapest insurance you can buy.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:29 PM

So... here's the story...

I got my S used and it's currently equipped with Potenza S02 for the front and Dunlop SP Sport 8000 for the rear. I am currently, however, in need of changing only the front tires. So...

1. Is this even a right setup to begin with? (two different brands)

2. Would it be better to get a pair of Dunlop Sport 8000's for the front as well? (I will be only getting front tires)

3. Is there another suggestion you would like to make?

I'm currently looking around on the tirerack.com but I haven't found the answer...

Thank you!
KS
Old 01-23-2006, 03:56 PM

Since you live in Seattle, you will probably need a rain tire . The S03's supposedly are pretty good in the rain with little sacrifice in adhesion on dry roads.

If you can beg borrow or steal the extra $, replace all four tires with the tires that fit your driving style and climate. To repeat what people have said, it is dangerous to run different tires front and rear on any car, especially a performance car.

Call tire rack and talk to Jim or any of the sales people. They will help you to decide what the best tire is for your situation. I have been buying tires from them for 20 years and have never gotten bad advice.

If you have to compromise, it would be best to get the Dunlops for the front until you need a complete set.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by FO2K,Jan 23 2006, 04:56 PM
Since you live in Seattle, you will probably need a rain tire . The S03's supposedly are pretty good in the rain with little sacrifice in adhesion on dry roads.

If you can beg borrow or steal the extra $, replace all four tires with the tires that fit your driving style and climate. To repeat what people have said, it is dangerous to run different tires front and rear on any car, especially a performance car.

Call tire rack and talk to Jim or any of the sales people. They will help you to decide what the best tire is for your situation. I have been buying tires from them for 20 years and have never gotten bad advice.

If you have to compromise, it would be best to get the Dunlops for the front until you need a complete set.
indeed that's probably what I will be doing: getting a complete set of S03s.

I've been trying to save money for a s/c, but what's the use if i slip and crash, eh? (maybe it wouldn't be that funny when that happens to me)

so, i'll preferably get a set of S03s unless Jim says a pair of dunlops are fine for the front.

And you're right about Seattle :-p i'm quite shocked though that I haven't slipped and crashed with my bad setup for 2 years! geez! (good to be a granny-like driver sometimes...)
Old 01-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would only match the tires. For every day driving it is not going to be a problem. When you get into an emergency situation with the S03 rear and the S02 front the car is not going to react the same and chances are you are going to hit whatever you were trying to avoid.
If I can help let me know.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:16 PM

i called Jim and took his advice.

just ordered a complete set of Potenza RE750s!

this will add just a little more time till my s/c... ah well

safe driving, everyone