Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires recommendation for learning the car

Old 10-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires recommendation for learning the car

Hi guys, I plan to buy new tires for the tracking purpose and some spirit driving.
I am looking for a set of tires that is forgiving and tolerance for mistakes.
I have nt01 since my first track days, but I hardly learn how to save the car since they were very grippy.
Once the car starts to lose control, it just spins. Things happen too quickly, I dont even have time to react.

So I need a set of tire that is not that grippy but responsive, sensitive and forgiving.
Are RS4 or federal rsrr good for my need?
Thanks for reading
Old 10-04-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you on coilovers? ap1 vs ap2? alignment settings? wheel width and tire sizes you're running? RS4's and federals last pretty long and are pretty grippy, but i would try some autox if you want to learn car control. getting a softer rear sway bar/disconnecting it might help as well.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Tires aside, if you are on an ap1, I agree that an ap2 rear sway bar will help soften the break away character of the rear tires some. In general you will increase your rear grip, but it adds some added leeway/flex to let go a little more progressively. You can feel the suspension working more back there before it just lets go.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:10 AM

I am on ohlin with 12/10k springs.
Not sure the alignment setting, my garage guy helped me to set it as track/street use.
Looking for 225/255 tire size
Old 10-04-2018, 10:11 AM

Mine is ap2 and it has an Eibach front sway bar
Old 10-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Community Organizer

Sounds like all you need now is the driver mod

But seriously, this is a scalpel of a car, firm and precise and to get it to handle predictably you need a firm sidewall tire to go with it, as it came with stock, so its kind of the nature of the beast, its not a long wheel base car with spongy tires and a big v8 that can power and drift easily through a corner, its a car designed with fast corning speed and when the tires let go it happens quick no matter what compound your running. The rs4 are probably the softest in the sidewall/most forgiving in the extreme summer line up if you want to try and gain as much warning as possible, but ultimately its just going to be more seat time. This is not the easiest car to drive at the limit, but so rewarding when you learn how.

Best case scenario is to learn and feel comfortable pushing its limits in stock trim first. Stiffer springs/sways and grippier tires increases your performance window, but generally narrows the window of forgiveness at the same time.

Putting a inferior gripping tire on the car for its spring rate is also not favorable, you need to match the spring rate of the car to the grip the tires you choose can generate. It should be matched properly. Id say with your spring rates and bias an extreme summer compound would be the best fit. Stagger bias then becomes somewhat preferential in your case. Many would argue closing your bias to a 245 up front or even going square would ultimately be ideal, but it all depends on where you want your grip balance to be. A 225/255 is common also and surely a good streetable and safer option until you get more confident in the cars break away character.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-04-2018 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
law471471 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the advice.
So RS4 is the way to go? Or federal RSRR ok too?

I really did not think much before I bought the nt01 and upgrade the suspension system. All I thought was not to die on track.
Should I swap back to stock ap2 coilover or put the stock ohlin spring 10/8k back on?

I understand s2000 is not an easy car to drive. It is hard to control once it is at its limit, but it is really fun
Old 10-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by law471471
Thanks for the advice.
So RS4 is the way to go? Or federal RSRR ok too?

I really did not think much before I bought the nt01 and upgrade the suspension system. All I thought was not to die on track.
Should I swap back to stock ap2 coilover or put the stock ohlin spring 10/8k back on?

I understand s2000 is not an easy car to drive. It is hard to control once it is at its limit, but it is really fun
I cant say how the construction/firmness of the RSRR is, maybe someone else can chime in on those, You cant lose on the RS4, I think they would be a well suited choice for you.

You have already invested in the set up, so up to you. As long as you are having fun and able to make forward progress on learning the cars limits then I say its a win. The coilovers you have regardless of spring rate have some good damping character being favorable to a bit more forgiveness.

That said, I prefer a non staggered spring set up and with running a small 225 up front and a stiffer aftermarket sway up front (don't know exact weight) Id consider swapping the front back to the 10k and leaving the rear alone for a more balanced grip threshold, but that's just me. Either that or put the factory front sway bar back on and leave the front 12k springs on.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-04-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

got on well with fed rsrr,before my recent AD08r,just need some heat in all semi slicks.
think you need same spring rate f&r if you have eibach fsb with 225/255.
my 10/8 with CR fsb was not good..
Old 10-04-2018, 10:01 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Federal 595RS-R and 595RS-RR are two different tires. Pretty sure noodels talks about the RS-R version
I'm not sure how they differ, I've only tried the RS-R and they were really nice for the small amount they cost.

Quick Reply: Tires recommendation for learning the car