Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires rubbing fender bad... Need advice

Old 08-02-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires rubbing fender bad... Need advice

I dropped my s2000 on coilovers probably about 2.2 inches yesterday. It's still on stock AP1 wheels which are far from aggressive, so I assumed i wouldn't need any fender work, I was very wrong. My fronts are rubbing the fender liner bad and chunks of my tire are falling off. I'm not driving the car anymore until I find a solution. What should I do? Im willing to do fender work just no pulling. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Raise the car .75-1.5 inch would be your only option. A basic fender roll wouldn't even work since you're not even rubbing on the outer lip of the fender liner. I've never even heard of a case of someone rubbing on oem wheels (w/o spacers) until now, so your car must be on the ground.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by 0bsolete
Raise the car .75-1.5 inch would be your only option. A basic fender roll wouldn't even work since you're not even rubbing on the outer lip of the fender liner. I've never even heard of a case of someone rubbing on oem wheels (w/o spacers) until now, so your car must be on the ground.
Thanks for the reply man. Yeah It's slammed but I've definitely seen lower. Do you think adding some camber to the front would help? I asked the mechanic that put them on and he said its not possible to add camber to the front which confused me...
Old 08-03-2013, 01:28 AM

Camber and take out liner then re evaluate. A roll won't hurt either if u wanna be on ur nuts gotta sacrifice
Old 08-03-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuka_BlueS2K
Camber and take out liner then re evaluate. A roll won't hurt either if u wanna be on ur nuts gotta sacrifice
Haha alright I'm just gonna take the liner out then because it's already torn to sh*t anyways. So to get this straight you can add camber to the front stock? My mechanic said that wasn't possible which didn't really make much sense.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

you can also just trim back the liner in the places it's rubbing with a dremel tool. no need to remove the liner completely. there is only a certain amount of camber adjustment with a stock setup. it's unlikely but are you maxed out already? also curious to see a picture of you car. you must be crazy slammed to be rubbing like that with AP1 wheels/tires.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Picture of the car

To show how far the lip is from the ground

View of one side without turning the wheels... one of the guys at the shop I got them installed at did a little bit of modification to the liner which didn't really work and now I have loose fender liner... not a good idea

The other side is a little worse, turned the wheel so you can see the tire has been eaten in the spot of the rubbing.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2000ths
you can also just trim back the liner in the places it's rubbing with a dremel tool. no need to remove the liner completely. there is only a certain amount of camber adjustment with a stock setup. it's unlikely but are you maxed out already? also curious to see a picture of you car. you must be crazy slammed to be rubbing like that with AP1 wheels/tires.
Pics added. Thanks for the reply btw
Old 08-03-2013, 08:38 PM

Looks good trim liner and piggy back on what he said. Only some camber can be dialed in. Be careful tho my buddy just tore his fender out on stock ap1s slammed. I'd reccomend a roll to avoid future paint or body work. Car looks good on ap1s go for exhaust you'll love it.

Just saw chunks out of tire. Better roll asap or you WILL RIP THE FENDER OUT. Example below of what will happen. Good luck man.
Attached Thumbnails Tires rubbing fender bad... Need advice-20130405_110947.jpg  
Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuka_BlueS2K
Looks good trim liner and piggy back on what he said. Only some camber can be dialed in. Be careful tho my buddy just tore his fender out on stock ap1s slammed. I'd reccomend a roll to avoid future paint or body work. Car looks good on ap1s go for exhaust you'll love it.

Just saw chunks out of tire. Better roll asap or you WILL RIP THE FENDER OUT. Example below of what will happen. Good luck man.
Thanks for the quick response man! I'm taking it to a shop ASAP to trim the liner and roll the fenders. Not driving it until then.

Quick Reply: Tires rubbing fender bad... Need advice