Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Worthy All Season Tires

Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track Worthy All Season Tires

I'm going to the track next weekend and I'm looking for a good all season tire that's good for the track (225/45/17), any recommendations?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

These are two very conflicting goals. I doubt you're going to get a tire that's very good at both.

That said, people really seem to like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, or if you don't have snow in your area, the DW.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, which was recommended by TireRack for Ultra High Performance All-Season.

The verdict is still out though.. I don't feel like they're quite as responsive as my former Potenza S-02s, but that's to be expected.

I'm just not sure I'm willing to sacrifice the responsiveness for light snow/ice traction in Washington, D.C.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh,Dec 10 2010, 05:27 AM
These are two very conflicting goals. I doubt you're going to get a tire that's very good at both.
I won't lie, I came in here for the lols
Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd also like to know. Also, what's the best type of loafers to play basketball in?

In all seriousness though, where are you that you can go to the track in December? I imagine if it's warm enough there now, it's warm enough to run summer tires year round.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I wasn't clear in my initial post. I'm in SoCal. Obviously I don't have to worry about snow around here but I do have to worry about the rain. So what I'm really asking for is a tire that's good for the track and the rain.

The reason is that this will probably be the first and last time I take these tires to the track. I'm making plans to buy a dedicated track car soon. So I don't want to be stuck with track specific tires all year round on my daily driver.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotcha. I hear the Star Specs are good in the rain. FWIW - I know the Kumho XS are not.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I don't know why so many people equate RAIN with ALL-SEASON tires!
Good Max Performance Summer tires should outperform all-seasons in wet/warm conditions. And all-seasons are not appropriate for track usage.

I agree that Star Specs are fantastic in the wet to a point, but they will hydroplane sooner due to less void area. After white-knuckling it in torrential downpours on the track and on the way back home from Mont Tremblant on Specs with ~4-6/32 tread left, I switched from StarSpecs to Sport Maxx TT for this reason. I then tracked at Watkins Glen on Star Spec fronts and Sport Maxx TT rears, and once scrubbed in the rears were keeping up with the fronts.

Long/short, I don't think you give up much in terms of dry performance going with Max Perf instead of Extreme Perf tires, but you gain relatively more water-channeling capacity/hydroplaning-resistance in heavy deluge/standing water conditions.

My .02...
Old 12-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Bridgestone RE-11 would be my choice. They were used a lot during the Tire Rack One Lap of America.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 AM

What about for cold, but no snow or ice?

Quick Reply: Track Worthy All Season Tires