Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could be the problem? New tires on '08 CR...

Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could be the problem? New tires on '08 CR...

What's up everyone! I used to be an avid reader of the forum when I owned my first '02 S2000, but it has been a very long time since I have been on here, primarily because I have kept my CR bone STOCK. . .

I purchased my '08 CR new in 2008. I have put roughly 38,000 miles on it since. I have probably gone through 3-4 sets of tires on the beast and have always been happy with the performance of them. Well I decided to be cheap! Instead of going with the OEM's this time, I went with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's on the rear only. I still had quite a bit of tread on the front, so I didn't want to replace those yet (again, being cheap!)

In any case, immediately, my car would wobble very strongly at about 65-70 MPH. Very noticeable. Also, my traction control kicks in when it seems needless. I assume the traction control problem is from the higher tread wear that I didn't think about before I made the switch. I can deal with that I guess. The biggest problem is the wobbling. Tire pressure is correct and fully balanced (checked both twice). The tires were the only thing that was changed.

Any ideas? Is it the different tread patterns (front and back)? Do these tires just blow? Am I completely missing something here? I appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:07 AM

The Star Specs are really good tires. What is the pressure? (I know you said you checked it, but what is the number and did you check it "cold?") Are all the lug nuts tight? And finally, what are the sizes of the tires?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 AM

255/40ZR17's. Same as stock. 32 PSI right on the money! Checked them cold. Sorry, I did check the lugnuts as well on the side of the road (that's how annoying it was for me) . . . nice and tight.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Relax,

Check balance again at another shop,

Check alignment,

Return them for an exchange or another set.

Hopefully there isn't another issue outside the tires, though it doesn't appear to be. Hope it works out for you! These tires are much gripper and slightly taller than the RE070s. Having them mismatched with RE070s on the front isn't ideal either.

-Marc
Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 AM

Well, I have a 2 options. Assuming everything checks out with alignment, tire pressure and lugs being tight. Ebay these Dunlops and get a new set of Potenzas for all four wheels, or replace the front with the Dunlops to have a matching set. . .

I definitely would like to do the latter of the two. I just don't want to purchase the front Dunlops and still have the same issue. You think the mismatch would cause this much difference in ride? Everyone I have talked to says "no," but it seemed to be the most obvious "problem" here.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO...I would get matching fronts.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 PM

I'm sure everyone is at the edge of their seat just waiting to hear what's next! . . . After snooping around the message board a bit and taking your comments into consideration, I have decided to go ahead and try out the Dunlops on the front and see how a matching set feels.

Wait patiently though everyone, I may have a super cheap set of slightly used Dunlops available soon!!!

Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't be disappointed. Star Specs are excellent in the dry and surprisingly great in the wet. I feel very confident when I run them.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

i am currently running star specs in the front and re01r (070's should be no differernt)in the rear and have no issues,...the tires are soooo similar that there is no understeer/oversteer issues due to one tire being grippier etc.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like an odd problem. Star Specs are pretty much just as good as the OEM tires.

Quick Reply: What could be the problem? New tires on '08 CR...