Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Fitment Guide

Old 03-04-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

With those offsets, you'll find you'll need to run a fairly narrow tire to prevent rubbing. Anything wider than the stock rubber and you'd run the risk, unless you take measures to make more clearance.

Offsets closer to stock would give you more options regarding tire width. IMO if you spend money on aftermarket wheels and get something with offsets so low you can't run wider tires than stock, what's the point? Unless you're in it just for show. (The rear wheels you list are narrower than stock... why bother?)

If you asked me what the best wheel size for everyday use, it would be the stock size and offset. Honda knew what they were doing. The car needs high offsets. There is no reason to go to 18" wheels on this car, unless you want bling. And if you don't follow the offset rules, you're not going to be able to improve on the stock setup.

My $.02.

Regards,
Ken
Old 03-04-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual, thanks so much for the input.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 PM

Hello, I'm new at this just about to purchase a set of wheels only for looks they are 19 x 8.5 with 235 tires & a +45mm offset would they fit in the Front and Rear? or Would there be any rubbing? I noticed the front required a lil more offset +13mm according to the charts... how can that be achieved? or would they just stick out a little bit? Thanks for a reply hope to hear from some one soon it be a great help!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 AM

With a +45 offset in the front, a 235 will rub. 215 would be about the widest you could use without rubbing. 205 would be even better. But your 8.5" width wheels might be too wide for a 205 or 215. With that offset you really need a narrower wheel for the front.

In the rear you could use your 235s or probably even a 245.

I would not purchase those wheels for the S2000. For the given offset they're too wide for the front.

Nothing can be done about it except to choose a wheel with the proper size and offset, unless you wan to modify your fenders.

Regards,
Ken
Old 04-05-2007, 09:42 AM

Good Morning Ken and to Everyone

First let me apologize for taking space in this particular thread. I chose not open a new thread as I feel that as my concern is in relation to our "Wheel Fitment Guide."

Anyhow, based on your advised, Honda has pretty much "nailed" down the best wheel set-up for AP2 which is the current OEM F: 17 x 7 +55ET & R: 17 x 8.5 +65ET.

FYI, I've been trying to search for that exact set-up for MY06, however, the wheels available just do not strike me. I did find numerous wheels that I very much like, however, they are mostly 18s".

There are at least 6 different wheels I've seen which I really like (BBS LM from TireRack, SSR MS1 for sale by one of our members, DPE from a local wheel & tire shop here in Hollywood, CA, Jline from a dealer in FL, and Work S1 from one of our sponsors but cant seem to get a reply to my inquiries, hence, Work might be out).

My main question is for the BBS LM from TireRack.com. Here's the specs/info:
Size Selected: 18x8 Front
Price: $748 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Recommended Tire Size: 225/40-18
Wheel Offset: +50mm
** Lightweight: 21.7 lbs. **

Size Selected: 18x9.5 Rear
Price: $799 (each)
Estimated Availability: Special Order
Recommended Tire Size: 255/35-18
Wheel Offset: +55mm
** Lightweight: 22.5 lbs. **

Now, mind you, I have read and reread several times our "Wheel Fitment Guide" and I feel confident that I truly understand the guidelines (I think keeping my fingers crossed).

When I compare the specs of these BBS LM to our "guide," it seems that the front tire which TireRack recommends does not meet our guidelines. TireRack recommends 225 for that front wheel with a +50 offset. Based on my understanding from our guide below, shouldn't size 215 would be more appropriate because size 225 tire requires a +53 minimum offset? I'm sure TireRack are experts when it comes to fitting vehicles. However, could you or other experts here explain why TireRack opt for 225 tire size instead of 215 for a wheel which has a +50 minimum offset? Wouldn't a 3mm makes a big difference? Wouldn't this cause rubbing? I believe the rear tire recommendation is accurate.

For the front:
Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 AM

Wow, that's a long post!

When I wrote the guide, I did so based on reports I read regarding fitment and rubbing from members on this very forum. Lots of searching and reading and PMing. Then, the results were interpolated with an offset calculator.

3mm is not a big deal. The reason is that there are so many tolerances and variables at work here. Perhaps the two largest ones are tires and alignment. Those two things can make a big difference. Some tire brands and models run narrow compared to others. The camber settings on your vehicle can also make a large difference. The guide is designed to prevent rubbing for everyone, but it's not a law, just a guideline.

There is no exact number, below which you will be guaranteed to rub. As stated there are just too many variables. The only way to be sure is to try it yourself, unfortunately. The further you stray from the guidelines, the higher the likelihood you'll rub.

Ken
Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 PM

Indeed, it's quite a long Post. I apologize for that.

As usual, I very much value your knowledge and expertise. Thanks again for your time, Ken.

Peace
Raleigh
Old 04-05-2007, 12:36 PM

My pleasure. Even though I don't have an S2000 anymore, I still enjoy helping out when/if I can.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this thread to be tremendously helpful as I'm shopping for new rims. I read through the thread and didn't find any information about the maximum offset for different tire sizes. With high offset and wide tire/rim, will there be risk of rubbing with chassis/steering linkage/suspension or does our car have sufficient clearance that this is not an issue?

I've also dug up race car tuning book by Fred Puhn that I got a while back and did some spirited reading. There are a few relevant pieces of information that I thought may be useful to share here, esp for the performance minded. I'd caution that these information are geared more towards racing than street driving and are among a large number of other factors that affect performance of a car. This is also base on my comprehension of the materials, so I'd rely on the pros in this forum to slap my hands if I stated anything that is incorrect

- Rim Width: You want to maximize this for a given tire size as it stiffens sidewalls resulted in less deflection of tire and lower slip angles -> better cornering.

- Track Width: This is the distance between the left and right wheels. Increase this to reduce weight transfer -> faster cornering but may increase toe changes during acceleration & braking. Reducing offset accomplishes this because this pushes the wheel out. However, you want to keep the front tire offset close to stock if possible to avoid affecting steering (per suggestion earlier on in this thread) unless you really know what you are doing.

Generally, it's best to keep the offset stock, and maximize tread/rim width for best dry weather handling. If you really need to pick a different offset, keep this in mind:

Front Wheel - Any changes will affect steering.
Rear wheel - Increasing offset reduces track width & cornering ability but gives more clearance from fender. Decreasing offset increases track width & cornering ability but reduces clearance from fenders.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by RS2000,Apr 6 2007, 01:04 AM
With high offset and wide tire/rim, will there be risk of rubbing with chassis/steering linkage/suspension or does our car have sufficient clearance that this is not an issue?
I haven't heard of any problems relating to that. Luckily the S2000's double wishbone setup provides lots of wheel clearance on the inside.

Quick Reply: Wheel Fitment Guide