California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Dash Cameras

Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Cameras

Update as of 06-14-2013
Hi guys

I still have some cameras in stock so hit me up for prices and details (sold out of the power magic pros)

Hi guys, I posted this in the electronic section as well but wanted to see if any locals had interests in these.

I wanted to see if anyone here runs a dash camera or has ever been interested in them.

I recently bought one a few months ago and it actually came in handy in helping me with a situation. Since then, I purchased more and installed one in each of my family members cars. Before purchasing them, I realized there wasnt much information or reviews for the US market. There is a TON over seas and in Canada. A lot of people were surprised when I told them I had one installed.

I wanted to see if people were interested in them and if there is a market for them.

let me know what you guys think.

UPDATE

Hey guys,

all gone

the Incident that made me a strong believer.

The driver was trying to blame me saying i came out of a shopping center. and see what happens at the end!

[media] http://youtu.be/o-3Ix0OMKQI[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-3Ix0OMKQI&feature=youtu.be[/media]
Old 04-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

Well, you know I run one and that I envy you your Blackvue. I have low-cost cams in both my daily driver and in my S2000. I don't intend to ever have a car without one, particularly since I can't imagine a future without me owning some sort of performance vehicle which LE might find to be a tasty target for tickets.

I think if more people realized how important these cams can be in so many different scenarios, I am convinced more people would run them. As you have mentioned, for some reason the US market just hasn't quite picked up on these yet, but they are all the heck over the place in Eastern Europe and Asia. If more Americans were running them, not only would prices go down, but feature sets and quality would improve dramatically as well.

I frequent a few discussion forums about dashcams to try to keep up on the latest information/innovations, and I'm excited about the future of this market. I am certain that more vehicle manufacturers will start including these as common items in cars moving forward, but in the meantime...
Old 04-05-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

yup i've been wanting to get a dash cam..
Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 PM

lol, I do love the blackvue. You're correct, the more people find out about them, the better the features will get. I recently purchased a lower model for my mothers car that doesnt include wifi but includes all the other features as mine does.

I recently got in touch with some companies and hopefully in the very near future will be able to offer these for sale at the much lower price as what you see them go for on amazon and other websites.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:48 PM

Coolness! Do you plan to become a factory authorized reseller? That would be way cool!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 PM

thats the plan. Its kind of hard work to get into it, thats why i wanted to do a little bit of "market research" on you guys before hand.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 PM

My only question for you dessi would be, why would an S2K owner purchase a dash cam when they can run a camera where the wind deflector is.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by super_mut
My only question for you dessi would be, why would an S2K owner purchase a dash cam when they can run a camera where the wind deflector is.
Are you asking that seriously or in jest?

In case your question is serious.... "Dash cam" is a generic term used in reference to blackbox style cameras which are always-on and more of a witness-style unit as opposed to a Go-Pro. My "dash cam" in my S is mounted on my wind deflector and the one in my DD (same style unit) is on the windshield. You can mount them wherever you want.

So the reason why an S2000 owner would buy a dash cam has nothing to do with placement and everything to do with wanting a permanent (or semi-permanent) always-on solution.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by super_mut

That is a good question.

When I use the term "Dash Camera" I mean a camera that will record the street view around you, record your speed, and record your gps location all with a time and date stamp. This would be used more for insurance purpose if you were involved in a car accident or something happened while you were driving. Think of it as a "Black box" for the car.

The mounting points are generally anywhere in the car and not specifically the dashboard. I have my mounted on the windshield right behind my rear view mirror.

The wind defuser is a great spot to mount if you wanted a view of the driver inside the car as well. I chose not to do this because I wanted to show as much of the area surrounding the car as possible.

Also, a "dash camera" versus another camera such as a "go Pro" is better for this type of recording because it automatically turns on with the ignition and starts recording without any driver input. a “set it and forget it” type of feature because it will also auto delete old files once it gets full.

The camera I use is plugged into cig lighter so no wiring is needed.

EDIT: and RMurphy beat me to it, couldnt have said it any better
Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by desii
EDIT: and RMurphy beat me to it, couldnt have said it any better
Well, actually, you *did* say it better.

Quick Reply: Dash Cameras