Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Looking for race seats to test fit

Old 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Looking for race seats to test fit

I'm seriously looking for seats that would serve a dual-purpose: spirited weekend driving and 5-10 HPDE track day events/year. I would like to keep the 3-pt restraints for normal driving and 5- or 6-pt harness for the track. I've read lots of reviews and suggestions, but I'm looking for someone that will let me test-fit their setup. I am 5'10" with a 36-38" waist. Help in the Charlotte area would be most appreciated, but willing to travel if nothing local comes up.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by will010100
I am 5'10" with a 36-38" waist.
This sounds like a personals ad, LOL!

Will also enjoys puppies and strolls on the beach at sunset.

Bump for a good guy; someone help this man start spending money on his S!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 AM

Hahaha! Thanks, I forgot to mention the puppies.
I called GT Motoring asking about their Recaro Pole Position seats, but they were reluctant to sell me seats I've never tested. Based on what I saw at the autocross Saturday, most have stock seats or aluminum-shell race seats. I'm looking for a balanced solution suitable for HPDE, yet something my wife will also ride to the beach in...'cause you know how I like those long walks. :-)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:50 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm actually in the exact same boat. Installing a roll bar next weekend and will very likely need seats and harnesses for VIR Sept 7+8 with THSCC.

I too like long walks on the beach...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM

I was able to test several seats at AMP last Friday. Discovery Parts at the track has about 20 seats to choose from. Dawsonville GA is a long drive to test seats, but if you can get a track day in at the same time, I'd recommend it. I ended up ordering the ever-popular Recaro Pole Positions.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 AM

I probably need to add seats before I can attend a track day...don't think I'll be able to pass the broomstick test with the stock seats
Old 07-27-2013, 06:27 AM

I'm not familiar with THSCC requirements. You should really ask someone that has been.

After 7 HPDE events at 3 tracks, nobody has done a broomstick test for OEM 3-pt harness. Not sure if they test for racing harnesses. My understanding is the if you roll with 3-pt, you will lean-over and be safely pushed into the car without being "squish like grape". Ironically, with racing harnesses you cannot move, so anything above the hoops/bar...well you get the idea.

I agree with putting priority on the roll bar! You are welcome to test my seat/rail configuration when I get them installed (next weekend weather permitting). I have a harddog roll bar too.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by will010100
I'm not familiar with THSCC requirements. You should really ask someone that has been.

After 7 HPDE events at 3 tracks, nobody has done a broomstick test for OEM 3-pt harness. Not sure if they test for racing harnesses. My understanding is the if you roll with 3-pt, you will lean-over and be safely pushed into the car without being "squish like grape". Ironically, with racing harnesses you cannot move, so anything above the hoops/bar...well you get the idea.

I agree with putting priority on the roll bar! You are welcome to test my seat/rail configuration when I get them installed (next weekend weather permitting). I have a harddog roll bar too.
I did a ride-a-long with Stephen Westerfield, THSCC club president, at the CMP event they held in June. We've spoken several times since and it sounds like the test is required if you run with them. I've also heard from several others that TrackDaze does not require the test provided you have the roll bar installed.

I'm installing the bar next weekend and will check to see how everything shapes up. If I end up needing seats, I'll take you up on the offer...hell, might take you up on it at some point anyways!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:27 AM

So quick update: I passed the tech inspection on Thursday, which included the broomstick test. Pass/fail is entirely dependent on how I'm sitting in the seat. In my normal driving position, I pass with about 1/8" to spare. If I sit up straight, I need another inch or so and fail. I'm set for VIR in 4 weeks but long term I'll add seats and harnesses. Has always been in the plan, was just concerned that I'd have to scramble to get everything done in time.

Will - How did your seat install go?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 PM

The seats are in. They could use some tweaking, and I still need to install the harnesses. All-in-all, I'm happy so far.

Quick Reply: Looking for race seats to test fit