UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

OEM Wheel Cap Refurb

Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Wheel Cap Refurb

About 6 months ago i refurbished the wheel caps on the car, I wasnt willing to post what i had done until they had been on the car long enough to see if they last!! the wheels are now going in the be refurbed as they themselves are looking shabby.

like many others the original caps had gone to pot and looked awful. i thought i would try to nitro mors the lacquer then repolish what was there but they were badly pitted and a complete loss.

so after failing this i peeled off the original milk bottle tin and used some speed tape (aluminium tape) and stretched it by hand across the front of the face.

this took about 15 minutes to prep all 4. wanting the oem machined finish i started trailing on a lathe using sandpaper and various tools but learned most just didnt work. finally i stumbled on using scotch brite! its the daddy.

quick test against the wheel just to check colour its pretty close

old face next to new not as shiny yet

With my new spiffing finish i gave them a quick squirt of isopropyl alcohol and stuck on the new logos i ordered on ebay

finally i wanted to use 2k lacquer but ran out of time and effort so i settled for PU lacquer not knowing how well it would stick

after 3 coats they came up and shined nicely!

Its not 100% as shiny as orignal but doesnt notice and look manky any more so im happy!
sorry for the poor pics but they were taken on the mobile. ill add a car pick later
Old 09-04-2013, 06:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good!

I'll have to bookmark this for when I get round to doing mine.

Edit :-
Where did you get the speed tape from, I can't find it for sale here.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:16 AM

I get it from work normally, the stuff I ended up using here was from tlc direct, the 100mm wide tape is thinner than usual but that helps it stretch
Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered, Thanks
Old 05-05-2016, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by BlackFerret
About 6 months ago i refurbished the wheel caps on the car, I wasnt willing to post what i had done until they had been on the car long enough to see if they last!! the wheels are now going in the be refurbed as they themselves are looking shabby.

like many others the original caps had gone to pot and looked awful. i thought i would try to nitro mors the lacquer then repolish what was there but they were badly pitted and a complete loss.

so after failing this i peeled off the original milk bottle tin and used some speed tape (aluminium tape) and stretched it by hand across the front of the face.

this took about 15 minutes to prep all 4. wanting the oem machined finish i started trailing on a lathe using sandpaper and various tools but learned most just didnt work. finally i stumbled on using scotch brite! its the daddy.

quick test against the wheel just to check colour its pretty close

old face next to new not as shiny yet

With my new spiffing finish i gave them a quick squirt of isopropyl alcohol and stuck on the new logos i ordered on ebay

finally i wanted to use 2k lacquer but ran out of time and effort so i settled for PU lacquer not knowing how well it would stick

after 3 coats they came up and shined nicely!

Its not 100% as shiny as orignal but doesnt notice and look manky any more so im happy!
sorry for the poor pics but they were taken on the mobile. ill add a car pick later

Hi, can i ask what PU Lacquer you used please? I've ordered the speed tape for my caps but the variety of lacquers out there are vast and i want one that'll give it a good finish like yours
Old 05-05-2016, 06:18 AM

Hi, can i ask what PU Lacquer you used please? I've ordered the speed tape for my caps but the variety of lacquers out there are vast and i want one that'll give it a good finish like yours
Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

What is "speed tape? What's it used for normally, it might come in handy at work on trade ins. Ta.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed tape is silver finished sticky tape I've seen it used to stick ventilation ducts together however as link below it can be used for a lot of other things....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape

If you search aluminium speed tape on Google you'll find it

Edit: special ductape!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has tempted me to sort my centre caps out! Is there an easy way to remove the caps? I've tried a flat headed screwdriver and other similar metal implements but don't want to scratch the alloys. Is there a trick I'm missing or is it a take the wheel off and tap the cap from the rear to make it pop off?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gav86
This has tempted me to sort my centre caps out! Is there an easy way to remove the caps? I've tried a flat headed screwdriver and other similar metal implements but don't want to scratch the alloys. Is there a trick I'm missing or is it a take the wheel off and tap the cap from the rear to make it pop off?

Thanks
Yes you need to take the wheel off and pop it off from the back.

Quick Reply: OEM Wheel Cap Refurb