S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Just another ptuning build thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just another ptuning build thread

IM unpacking and planning now. I'll try my best to update this thread with progress. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for y'all.
Thanks.

Year 2005 with 38k miles.
Here is what's going in.

Koyo VH081226 radiator.
Gt3076r turbo ptune kit
Id725 injectors
Aem 2 ecu
Aem fuel pump
Ptune flex exhaust adaptor
Recirculating dump
Ptune oil cooler
Speedhut pillar pod
Aem serial gauge
Aem air fuel gauge
Ptune vacuum block

Stock numbers on mases dyno are 186 hp. With tune from mase 201hp.

It will take a few weeks to install as I'm doing it on my spare time and trying not to piss off the mrs after buying all this stuff.

Why did I pick ptuning?? I researched quit a bit before buying. This would be my first FI car so I'm a total neophyte. Lucky for me the Jacksonville s2000 community has quite a good amount of turbo s2000s and almost all seem to want to help. Also mases shop is literally 5 min away and I have him on speed dial. I called a few manufacturers of these kits and I got the best response from ptuning. They put me on the phone with toan, the tuner from the shop, and we spoke for over an hour. I was impressed so I ordered.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@ updated 4/15/14
I’ve put a little over 2000 miles on it so far. I just returned from the RTD 2014 event which was a good 1600 mile trip. The car was flawless and was a blast to drive. Pulls hard 3-6th.

With the mugen exhaust the car is very quiet. Almost too quiet. However the benefit is all you can really hear is turbo spinning and blow off popping. It is truly intoxicating and freaks people out when they hear it.

My setup:
gt3076r
id725 injectors
aem 2 ecu
ptune oil cooler
Koyo radiator
Mugen AP2 exhaust
Ptune flex adaptor
AEM fuel pump
Radium dual catch can system
Arp studs 400-8013
Spark plugs Bkr8eix
ATP Inconel shielding for manifold and turbo housing.

Tips for ordering:
I dealt with Abel ( pronounced - A bell ) and I was very satisfied with his service.
IMO If your goals are 400-430hp you don’t need 1000cc injectors. Save $80 and get 725cc injectors. Mase tells me I’m only using 80% when full boost so I still have some room to go.
Ptuning will send you a painted “Ptuning” innercooler. If you don’t want it make sure you tell them.
Ptuning will price match parts. So make sure you do your research.
Make sure you count everything once you receive the box. I was missing one part.

Installation:
First I'd rate myself a 4 out of 10 as far as home mechanics go. I'm only moderately intelligent in most things. Second be prepared to spend 40-50 hours if you have never done this install before. Of course I can do it much quicker now after all I have put myself through. Third make sure you have some smart friends come over and help out. Fourth supply them with beer. And fifth buy your wife/girl gifts and chocolates she's going to get impatient.

Instructions are not so good. But luckily the support is great. If I had questions Abel would get answers quickly. If you are installing with a dump to atmosphere option the piping goes together easier. If you have the recirculating dump it’s a little trickier. The toughest part was aligning the dump pipe to the down pipe. My tip to you is to leave the clamps a little loose on the manifold, waste gate, dump, and downpipe so you can manipulate until things line up. I found rotating the turbo outward a bit helped.
Make sure you create enough clearance between the dump pipe and the frame rail. You need around ¼ inch or when it heats up it will hit and create noise and vibration. To do this turn the waste gate down to get the dump closer to the downpipe.

Issues:
Small pinhole leak on coolant turbo line. Ptuning sent me a new line.
Oil residue / leak on tblock ( oil return line ) . have not resolved it yet. Very small amount of oil and is not increasing. This will be resolved when I add the distribution block.
Arp manifold studs backing out. losing nuts. When I installed the 2 outer holes where very tight fitting around the studs. This was causing them to back out. If the manifold does not clear the studs cleanly do not proceed with the install. I had to use a drill press and drill the outer 2 holes so it would clear. I have not had a problem since.
AEM serial gauge shows high coolant temps( I’m guessing it’s about 10 degrees off)
If you use any injectors besides the id1000 make sure you have the correct base map before you try to start it. They sent me the wrong basemap and the car would not start.

Future changes:
Ptuning oil distribution block.
Oil temp and pressure sensors
Stainless steel turbo oil return line
Attached Thumbnails Just another ptuning build thread-image-1192867506.jpg  
Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks good! Give us more info on your build. What year car, engine size, modified engine, engine managment, turbo choice, ptuning options, planned tuner, what kind oc dyno will you use, how much boost, and what kind of fuel.

Phew, good luck!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
Old 12-28-2013, 05:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well we all know who had a freakin' AWESOME Christmas now!
Old 12-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Looks good! Give us more info on your build. What year car, engine size, modified engine, engine managment, turbo choice, ptuning options, planned tuner, what kind oc dyno will you use, how much boost, and what kind of fuel.

Phew, good luck!

Ooh yeah good idea. I updated the first post. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a awesome build coming cant wait to see the end results.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Nice parts list Jim. Let me know when you're ready to start installing.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Please update the turbo you chose, im assuking a 3076? Not a 3670? Is it a gtx or gt?

I am very excited for you! I hope the install goes smoothly!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Nice stuff! In for updates!
Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Redline S2K
Nice parts list Jim. Let me know when you're ready to start installing.
I'm just about ready!! Just took inventory and everything checks out.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Please update the turbo you chose, im assuking a 3076? Not a 3670? Is it a gtx or gt?

I am very excited for you! I hope the install goes smoothly!

Oops. Updated.

Quick Reply: Just another ptuning build thread