S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine sound and more problems

Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine sound and more problems

Hey everyone. I've been trying to find someone with my exact problem the past couple days but I couldn't find anything. I live overseas most of the year and store my S2000. I drive it when I come home for leave for the time being until I get stationed back in the US. When I parked it last year it had just started to develop a rough idle at all times and when it was cold it would bog on acceleration and anytime you went from cruising to WOT it would backfire a ton. It hasn't ever stalled on me though and when it warms up, most of the hiccups are gone except for the idle. Sitting in the car you can feel a bit of a shake every few seconds accompanied with small little stumbles in the exhaust note and pops.

Today I took it for a valve clearance check at honda and they reset the clearances, saying they were all much tighter than they should be. Still have the rough idle and the bogging when cold but now I also have a much louder valve train and between 3-4k Rpm every once in a while I'll hear a high pitched chatter like i'm hitting something resonate frequency just for that split second and it dies off. It doesn't always do it. It wasn't loud enough to capture the sound on and it's entirely possible it has been doing that all along, and I didn't notice it but I don't think so. Tomorrow i can upload the video of it that I have. . It seems very loud to me, and though I know these cars are loud, this seems excessive, but it rises and falls with the RPM and stays constant, and isn't quite as bad as the TCT videos I have seen.

I have an OBDII reader on the way and already have the software so I can read out live info from the car to try and figure out which direction I should head in, but has anyone else experiences these issues in this exact case? Thanks to everyone in advance.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Map sensor? Idler pulley? Spark plug? Coil pack? Is it throwing a CEL?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Last year I did the map whack and zip tied it. I haven't fooled with the idler pully. There are some aftermarket plugs in it but I pick up the oem ones I ordered tomorrow. I haven't been able to do anything about changing out or testing coil packs. I don't know many s2ks around me. It threw a CEL one time and it was for multiple cylinder misfire. It went away and never came back but the car still does as I mentioned.

Here is a video or the idle AFTER I had the valve clearance adjusted. http://youtu.be/73UXmPs2Fyk
Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 PM

Sounds a lot like an idler pulley noise. How many miles on the car?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:26 PM

123K and counting.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by TixonPB
123K and counting.
Yeah, check the idler. It doesn't cost anything to check that part.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 PM

I did a search but couldn't find much on the idler pulley making a sound. Just the tensioner. How would I go about testing it? Thank you for the help so far!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 PM

It's a bearing so test it like any other bearing; play with it a bit. First remove the belt. It's basically free, so why not. Plus, you can check your other pulleys and belt at the same time. You can take the camera move it around then replay it to see where the noise is louder if you don't want to do the labor before you're sure. Your engine is quite loud. It's hard to distinguish what noise I'm hearing. Change your oil yet? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSHR9Mj55_I

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/769...rpentine-belt/ diy

The problem isn't solved so don't thank anyone yet. lol
If billman or someone more experienced can chime in, i'm sure they can get you sorted out quickly. If you haven't gotten Billman's TCT, I would suggest it if you plan on keeping the car for a while just as a precaution.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:43 PM

I'll run out and check it here in a little bit. Earlier i changed back to OEM for the spark plugs from the e3's that a PO had installed. DIdn'ty clean up the rough idle and miss. Still not throwing a code, but read that coil packs can cause this before they go completely bad (as in the rough idle and bogging when low in the RPMs) so I'm trying to find someone to swap coilpacks with in the KY area. While changing the plugs I did a compression test and got 230-225-225-231 so those numbers seem healthy. Still more worried about my misfire than the ticking, but i'm curious to figure it out for sure.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:50 PM

It's not the pulley. I removed the belt and it spins freely with no sound.

Quick Reply: Engine sound and more problems