UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Darren's 2003 MCB GT

Old 05-04-2015, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What wheels are those?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are just 2008 s2000 wheels iirc. Black powder coated and then diamond cut. The look is great until they start to corrode as these have. Look fine from a few meters away though.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Argh - must be a trick of the light in the first pic
Old 05-06-2015, 01:54 AM

Finally got the front brakes sorted yesterday. It's beena while since I worked on a car myself and since all my tools are at my brothers they were all over the place!

For those asking, these are the wheels, as you can see, they have started to corrode a bit in places.
Darren's 2003 MCB GT-7ej7hmk.png

First issue was getting the jack under the car, of course my brother only has a standard trolley jack so it wouldn't fit under the jack point so I had to roll the car back and then up onto some blocks of wood. Then the stupid jack also has a bent handle, meaning I could only move it about 2" before it hit the bumper. Needless to say it took a while!

By the time It had gotten up far enough to put the stands underneath, it was actually only high enough on one side to get under properly. So I had to do one side, then get the other side up far enough to get the other stand under.

With the wheels off I found some very tough to remove bolts, I tried in vain for about 5 minutes before giving up. A squirt of WD on all and by the time I'd finished my lunch they all loosened up nicely.
Darren's 2003 MCB GT-tjbqchc.png

Caliper moved up nicely and the old pads came out. First side was passenger and the pads looked like they still had 5-6mm left but I changed anyway. The drivers side had one pad at about 1mm at it's lowest and about 7-8m on the other pad!
Darren's 2003 MCB GT-n15uz7z.png

All done, all greased back in and added a little to the bolts too. This was just a "quick" job as I knew they needed doing. With more time I can get at them properly.

Both my brothers 06 STI and my S2000 on his drive.
Darren's 2003 MCB GT-emt39cm.png

I also found my blown fuse for the radio/power outlet. Not sure why a 10A fuse would go from a radio and a 2.1a phone charger but I'll see what happens going forward. Maybe it's been there 12 years and it's time was nigh.

Right now my list of jobs for the car are

Transmission, diff, clutch and brake fluids all changed in a few weeks when my brother is back from honeymoon. Oil was only done a few weeks ago at the last service.

Refurb the alloys. Not sure on going graphite or silver. Seen a pic of graphite with red calipers that looked great, but they were aftermarket calipers so stood out a bit more.
Fix the windscreen chip
Get to work on the paint chips with a paints4u kit.
Patch the soft top just in the bottom corners where the B pillars would be, potentially also modrify straps and lizard skins.

As for modifications, I want to try and keep the car modestly unmolested. Things I'm looking at are things that can be reversed easily and don't cost the earth, or require me hacking the car to bits.

Hood dampers
LED bulbs for the cluster instead of the Qube kit
Paint the calipers, as yet no idea what colour
Possibly Eibach springs to drop it 1" or so.

One question, on a scale of 1-10 how cold do you think the AirCon gets in your S2000s? Mine seems ineffective in that regard but I'm used to my Octavia so I'm having to get used to all sorts of differences!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by DBt85' timestamp='1430748466' post='23600658
On the way home I had my phone charging on a 2.1A adapter and the radio going, after about an hour or so I heard a slight click and the radio shut down and the charger stopped working and never came back. The windows still worked and the rest of the car was fine. Will have a look tomorrow.
You've blown the fuse, so pop in a spare and all will be well.
It had the wrong fuse for starters, should have been a 15 amp small type blade fuse...although if you're running the stereo and a 2.1A charger I'd upgrade it to a 20 amp as I had that problem before and the 20 amp fuse solved it.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Floppy
It had the wrong fuse for starters, should have been a 15 amp small type blade fuse...although if you're running the stereo and a 2.1A charger I'd upgrade it to a 20 amp as I had that problem before and the 20 amp fuse solved it.
Where are you getting 15A from? The service manual (which incidentally I've just unlocked and added bookmarks to) says 10A for Fuse 9 in the under dash box. I'm not sure I want to go putting in double the capacity fuses only for my wiring to start melting instead.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:18 AM

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts

The uneven wear on the pads suggest sticking sliders and/or piston to me. Double check and grease them up before you waste more pads. It won't get any better, that's for sure.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:13 AM

Cheers, I'll have a look as soon as I can.

Back to driving my Octavia for the next week, never felt like a roadboat before, now it does!

Also finally sold a camera lens I've been hoarding for 6 months, just weighing up whether to spend the proceeds on sorting the wheels out or on the fluids, paintwork and getting the windscreen chip sorted.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:15 AM

After the issues above I discovered that my right front caliper was sticking a bit which was causing the uneven wear. Since I was visiting Worcester anyway I dropped both front calipers off at BiggRed to be reconditioned at a cost of £140 plus £10 to post them back to me. I had them coated black rather than red as I just wasn't sure.

Upon putting the first one back on I realised that I had somehow managed to lose a banjo bolt washer somehow. As a result I could get the first one done fine, but not the second. A quick trip to Halfrauds and B&Q and I found the closest I could get, but its too hard to be crushed properly by the bolt and so it's leaking a tiny drip. Very annoying!

So now I've just ordered a pack of copper crush washers of an appropriate size so I'll finally be able to drive again come Thursday! The same day my Octavia needs 4 new tyres fitted lol

I've also just ordered my first little mod, the Sokie hood ampers from Alvoturk9000 on Ebay.

Despite all that, I'm very pleased with the work BiggRed have done on the calipers. They look great and once the wheels are refurbed It'll all look even better.

Darren's 2003 MCB GT-dscier0.jpg
Darren's 2003 MCB GT-q0nfagb.jpg
Darren's 2003 MCB GT-uffvsov.jpg
Darren's 2003 MCB GT-xui4wgg.jpg
Old 06-07-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Look nice ! Thursday will tell just how much better they feel!!!

Quick Reply: Darren's 2003 MCB GT