S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Over boosting problem.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Over boosting problem.

Is it normal for a gt3582r to leak on the compressor wheel backing and all six bolts? My old precision sc61 never had this issue and it also came with a orange o ring. My garrett doesn't. Also when I remove the bolts to add rtv to them. I shot air into my turbo and all six bolts leaked out.

Update 7-7-16 it's been a while so I'm gonna update everyone. I sold my tial 44mm and purchase a precision 46mm wastegate. I took it for a test drive and still overboosted. Come to find out when I did a boost leak test. My vacuum line came in contact with my wastegate and melted. I got that all fix up now. I went ahead a did a boost leak test again and found out this whole time my gt35 had a leak on all six bolts that holds the compressor wheel and the backing leak also. This is fully tight down. I ended up rtv and sealing it up. About to do another boost leak test again today.

Update 12-22-15

I did another boost leak test and found out that my compressor wheel boost source has a leak and I have two leaking coupler.

I plan on using some hair spray to seal the coupler.

The boost source on the compressor wheel that supply the wastegate and solenoid with pressure is another story. Garrett turbo didn't have a boost source tapped on so I ended up doing it myself. Everything looks good until I realized yesterday that when I tapped the housing. Instead of tapping straight down on the highest point. I tapped it off a little to the side. When my taper push lock is screw in. Once the higher point seals up, my lower part is still a little open and causing a boost leak. Hopefully this will help with my overboost problem. I'll keep everyone posted.

I have a bad over boosting problem on my turbo set up. I'll give a quick run down of the set up and what i have try already.

2000 AP1
stock f20c1 with upgraded ap2 retainer and oil jet bolts

t3 pfab eltm
gt3582r 1.06ar housing
3 inches down pipe to stock exhaust. I do have a 3 inches qtp cut out.
tial 44mm mv-r wastegate dump to atmosphere (10lbs spring from tial newer chart)
pfab intercooler piping with cx racing intercooler (same specs as pfab stage 3 intercooler)
greddy type s bov
id1000
aem 320 e85 pump
aem fpr
marshall fuel pressure gauge tap into stock fuel rail (60psi idle)
comptetion stage 4 clutch
aem ems series 2
mac boost solenoid

So i been trying to get my car to hold boost before i head over to a tuner and strap this on a dyno. My local tuner seem like he didn't want my money. My option are to take a 4 hours to another tuner or get a e-tune. My biggest problem right now is my car would over boost. I seen as much as 18 psi before 6000rpm. If i didnt set my boost cut, i'm sure it will rocket and blow my motor. The car is on e85 and running smooth. I have been able to dial my daily driving in pretty good. I can take this on trips and drive normal. I just can't go into WOT. The car will over boost.

I try different solenoid and switching my wire. One is wire into my ems on d16 pin, second with is wire up to a 12v under my foot fuse box.
I try setting all boost setting to zero. still overboost.
i try setting my boost wg base duty from 0, 50, 100 and still getting overboosting.
I try a grim speed manual boost controller and still over boost.
I try running off wastegate spring by using the compressor nipple pressure to the bottom port of the wastegate and it still over boosted.
I open my wastegate two times to confirm my spring with tial and kingsperformance to make sure it was correct and check the wastegate diaphragm (no pinch)
Today i took my wastegate off and pressure test the bottom port and my wastegate open up at 11psi and fully opens around 17psi.

I'm lost on what else to try. Any idea? Thanks i appreciate the input and idea. I need to make sure its fix before driving to a tuner. Also have a lean fuel problem i needed address after figuring out this over boost problem.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

If you put the hose right to the wastegate(routed correctly) then the problem is with your wastegate. Double check all the hoses and maby try to mess with the adjustment on the blow off valve.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a wastegate problem you need to vacuum check the top wastegate port with a mityvac make sure it holds vacuum. The bottom port will not hold vacuum this is normal but if the top port won't hold the diaphragm is torn or some of the 4 set screws that hold the valve are missing. I've seen this problem before wastegate only had 1 set screw holding the valve and car was over posting to 20 psi I would start with that.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by umair
If you put the hose right to the wastegate(routed correctly) then the problem is with your wastegate. Double check all the hoses and maby try to mess with the adjustment on the blow off valve.
I forgot but I have try adjusting the bov and that didn't help.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by staylor725
Sounds like a wastegate problem you need to vacuum check the top wastegate port with a mityvac make sure it holds vacuum. The bottom port will not hold vacuum this is normal but if the top port won't hold the diaphragm is torn or some of the 4 set screws that hold the valve are missing. I've seen this problem before wastegate only had 1 set screw holding the valve and car was over posting to 20 psi I would start with that.
What is a mityvac? And how do u go about testing thing. I'll open up the wastegate and check the 4 screw holding the valve and check te diaphragm again. Also will take picture..
Old 10-20-2015, 03:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A mityvac is a vacuum/pressure tester you can apply vacuum or pressure and it has a gauge so you know how much your applying. Where are you located?
Old 10-20-2015, 03:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hershey
tial 44mm mv-r wastegate dump to atmosphere (10lbs spring from tial newer chart)

Today i took my wastegate off and pressure test the bottom port and my wastegate open up at 11psi and fully opens around 17psi.

Try a smaller spring?
Old 10-20-2015, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by staylor725
A mityvac is a vacuum/pressure tester you can apply vacuum or pressure and it has a gauge so you know how much your applying. Where are you located?
I'm located in coweta oklahoma. I just got to work and realize I forgot my wastegate. I was gonna use a work clamp to hold the wastegate while I take off the screw. I'll get it for tomorrow and get some picture. I see what your talking about now. I'll go buy one. You made have to show me how to use that.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle
Originally Posted by Hershey' timestamp='1445310278' post='23780579

Try a smaller spring?

That's another thing I'm going go try.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:07 AM

Is my boost solenoid hook up correctly?

Quick Reply: Over boosting problem.