S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Detailing Tips for Soft Top

Old 10-27-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Detailing Tips for Soft Top

I just rediscovered my soft top... I have had a hardtop installed with a one-piece Izzy style bracket for a long time, and because it was such a PITA to remove and install the top, I just kept the hardtop on full time...

Well I recently installed the OEM hardtop brackets, and now I can conveniently go topless again!

My soft top is in great shape... The previous owner installed a canvas soft top, and it is in great shape...

When I put the soft top up, the fabric is pristine, but it is dusty... The black color is dull looking and inconsistent (because the dust settles on the fabric inconsistently due to the folds in the top).

Is there an existing thread (or can we make this thread "that" thread if it doesn't already exist) on how to bring out the color and the water repellency of a soft top?

I have to believe after all these years that there is an existing thread out there somewhere... Another challenge I have is that little "hairs" (not real hair follicles, but little threads that look like hair) are stuck in the weave of the canvas... How do I get these out (or clean up most of it)?

This top has the potential of looking really nice...
Old 10-27-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

A soft short bristled brush and your favorite car wash soap and plenty of water should remove the dust particles. To protect the canvas top I would use the 303 fabric guard product. I assume the hairs aren't stitching coming out so you can simply clip them off with scissors or a razor blade.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:44 AM

A few more questions:

1. Is a 16 ounce bottle of 303 protectant enough to cover an untreated S2000 soft top?

2. Is a soft bristled brush with my favorite car soap in lieu of the 303 soft top cleaner (not the protectant)? Is there any reason for me to purchase the cleaner, or should I put the money towards more protectant?

3. I read that the overspray on windows and painted surfaces is a big problem... Is this your experience? And if so, how did you overcome it? Did you mask off the car with blue painters tape and a light clear plastic tarp/cover?

4. Does a treated soft top make it easier to remove bird droppings? How easy is it to remove bird droppings from a soft top?
Old 10-30-2015, 10:01 AM

1. Is a 16 ounce bottle of 303 protectant enough to cover an untreated S2000 soft top?

Yes, it will be enough for at least 8 applications.

2. Is a soft bristled brush with my favorite car soap in lieu of the 303 soft top cleaner (not the protectant)? Is there any reason for me to purchase the cleaner, or should I put the money towards more protectant?

Unless you have old imbedded stains, tree sap or bird poo the car soap and agitation with the soft brush will remove all the dirt and dust. If you do have pre-existing stains I would use the canvas cleaner from 303

3. I read that the overspray on windows and painted surfaces is a big problem... Is this your experience? And if so, how did you overcome it? Did you mask off the car with blue painters tape and a light clear plastic tarp/cover?

I use a small microfiber pad or a foam pad to apply the 303, the pads are the same one's used to apply waxes or sealants. Saturate the pad and make long passes over the top, it may take several repeated coats to thoroughly cover the top. I would do this process in the shade if possible, the whole process seems to go much easier on a top that isn't hot to the touch. I don't recommend spraying the top from the bottle, you will have a mess!

4. Does a treated soft top make it easier to remove bird droppings? How easy is it to remove bird droppings from a soft top?

Easier? Maybe, the main advantage is the UV protection and new appearance it gives the top. Always remove bird poo from the top ASAP! The acids attack the canvas/dye and can leave permanent stains. If you are sure it's a canvas top be sure to use the 303 protectant for canvas tops. Hope this helps
Old 10-30-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point

Easier? Maybe, the main advantage is the UV protection and new appearance it gives the top. Always remove bird poo from the top ASAP! The acids attack the canvas/dye and can leave permanent stains. If you are sure it's a canvas top be sure to use the 303 protectant for canvas tops. Hope this helps
What process do you use for removing bird droppings immediately? Simple rag doused in water...wipe and dry clean?
Old 10-30-2015, 12:49 PM

That will get 90%, and reduce the effects of the acids. I take it you occasionally park where birds are an issue, I avoid trees because of birds and sap.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:59 PM

Thanks Vanishing Point...

I also try to avoid trees and lightpoles for the very same reason...but sometimes they are unavoidable...so I appreciate the tips...

BTW, is there a difference between the 303 "High Tech Fabric Protectant" and the 303 "Fabric Protectant"? Or are they the exact same thing? I notice that if I buy the convertible kit, it says that it contains the "High Tech" fabric protectant...but when I look at the products available to purchase individually, there is only the plain fabric protectant...

My guess is that they are one and the same...
Old 10-30-2015, 04:09 PM

303 Protectant is meant for rubber, vinyl and plastics. The 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is meant for loose weave fabrics, like your canvas top.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point

Yes, it will be enough for at least 8 applications.
Wait a minute... 8 applications??? So the entire soft top can be covered with just 2 ounces of protectant?
Old 10-31-2015, 09:59 AM

Initially it could take more, especially on a canvas top. Once it's treated, subsequent applications should use less product.

Quick Reply: Detailing Tips for Soft Top