S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

AEM 1052 Fan Fix, Idle Fix; finally.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default AEM 1052 Fan Fix, Idle Fix; finally.

I'm a NA, 01 S2000, intake and exhaust owner. Used to be boosted and only own the one AEM 1052 ecu. I had so many issues I'd lived with. AC shut off every stop light, relay clicking when turning on AC fan in AEM. I've read on here about countless fixes, but none of them held the magic key. Here are my tune variables and I'll try to explain methodology in detail to help others.

Name:  Tune1_zpsoidg1p51.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  198.1 KB

Name:  Tune2_zpsr4mtv0nz.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  157.3 KB

Name:  Tune3_zpsbdlakr64.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  Tune4_zpsntl4u8nt.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  256.0 KB

Issue #1, Fan setup. If we look at picture #1 we need to pay notice to Options-A/C. We can do this two ways, if you have no AC in car, then setup Rad Fan and disable A/C Fan Speed. If like me you have A/C you set it up my way here first w/ AC Fan Speed set to LS8. Then go to picture #2 and use this setup; LS8 output, unselect Basic Activation and leave switch input on switch is always on. Under functions you will see my Rad Fan setup, this is irrelevant if you want to use AC as we deactivated. The problem is if you have it not setup this way you can have with AC turned on both Rad Fan telling LS8 to turn fans on; and AC Speed telling LS8 to turn fans on.......causing relay to click like mad. With my setup you have no control over fans turning on without AC; this is controlled by whatever Fan Switch is installed on your radiator. For me Fan Switch is turning my fans on about 195 F and turning off about 180 F.

Issue #2, idle jumping up and down at various times. Using a wonderful guide previously posted here with some experimentation here is how I got to the first picture results. Select Setup/Idle; and you will see most of the things on this picture. First you will setup Idle Target Base table. I'm setup so that 1400rpm cold temp, and drops to 900rpm at 194F. This you can customize to however you like, example if you had aggressive Cam you may only drop idle to 1000rpm. Under Options - Idle you can copy my settings except A/C Load Comp; which will be done later. Now we are ready to tune Idle% vs Target table. On Parameters I would unlock and add the coolant temp. Start car with A/C off, Radio off. At start you will notice with cold engine I am 1400 rpm. Make your Idle % vs Target table active, use left and right arrows to move to the rpm you wish to adjust Idle %, and "+" "-" to move value up and down. Now adjust 1400 rpm Idle% while car is warming up so that your Idle % Learn value is +1 to +3. It will bounce around a little, but play with it. Once car warms up to the point that it moves off 1400 rpm, adjust Idle % again moving over to the right rpm. Once you get down to 900rpm your done with this adjustment. Save now if you want.

Issue #3, idle really high with AC on. Under options - Idle we can change the Idle A/C Load Comp. With car fully warmed up turn AC on and see how high your rpms jump. With 21.88% my RPM went to 1200rpm. Change the value down or up, like my input of 15 and pressing "enter" on keyboard. You will notice any value you press enter to will change slightly, 21 changed to 21.88. Keep playing with this until you get to a RPM that is close to stock idle, yet doesn't bog engine with AC on. For me 15% got me from 900rpm to about 950rpm, which I can turn a/c On and get no bogging of engine or have trouble taking off from start with AC on.

Issue #4, idle jumps up and down with AC on. You will notice that when you turn on AC, that your Idle%Learned value goes to the negative. DO NOT ADJUST Idle% for this with AC on. Pay attention to the Idle%Learned value, is it going to -5? If yes, go to Options - Advanced Idle. Under here we have Idle FB Minimum default value is -5 or something. Adjust in increments. For me I had to go to -8. This way when AC is on the Learned value is able to adjust down past -5. Mine rarely goes to -7, so I made it -8 to give it breathing room. What I found is without this tweak my Idle would occasional call for a value below what it could pull and rev up and down.

I hope this helps, I'm not on forum often anymore so don't get sad if I don't respond for a while to questions.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for posting that. I have been independently studying engine theory, tuning, and all that exciting stuff and although I don't have this EMS, definitely answered a lot of questions on the little details of tuning.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Consider getting intro class as efi101. I did and loved it.