S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tailshaft Bearing Noise

Old 03-23-2004, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailshaft Bearing Noise

I had the 2nd gear grind TSB and a clutch warranty issue completed about the first of the year. So I have a rebuilt transmission and a new clutch, pressure plate, etc. I noticed a cyclical bearing type sound that varies with MPH not RPM, and is still present when coating. After searching posts, I find a very brief post about "tailshaft bearing" noise. I took the car to the dealer and let them hear it, but I did not mention the tailshaft bearing in particular. They called back and told me that was the issue. Anyone have similar issues or heard of this problem. It is being covered under warranty, but am curious. I have the service manual and could not find a specific reference to the bearing. Is it where the drive sfaft meets the LSD? Or on one of the numerous transmission shafts?
Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-23-2004, 07:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It seems similar to my recent wheel bearing problems.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=192266
Old 03-23-2004, 07:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by smcS2K
Is it where the drive sfaft meets the LSD?
I don't believe so. That one is called the outer pinion tapered roller bearing.
I think what they are referring to on your car is the "ball bearing" that the secondary shaft spins in. This is the last bearing in the tranny just before the secondary shaft exits the tranny and then connects up to the prop shaft (or drive shaft).
Old 03-23-2004, 09:03 AM

Ok. That makes sense. The noise sounds like it is more in that area than in the rear or near the wheels. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like i've got this problem as well. i've had the whine (rolling bearing sounding whine, not related to anything but rolling speed), for a few weeks. brought it into the dealer w/ 75,000 on the clock. they checked everything and located the sound in the transmission.

they dropped the transmission today and they've found my 'whine' noise. a defective bearing on the secondary shaft of the tranny is what i was told, and based on what i saw, i could verify it in the Helms. (pretty sure that's where it was).
so -- good news is that they didn't actually have to split the gear case to find the problem, and it looks like HondaCare will be covering all of it. (i didn't even have to pay an up front disassembly fee that so many others seem to get stuck with...) bad news? parts are on order. HondaCare refuses to pay expediting fees for parts, so i told them i'd cover FedEx fees for 2 bearings...

i did get to see the bearing. it didn't come apart, but it was looking pretty bad. heavily pitted on the roller elements.

all i had was my cell phone, so the images are crappy. but you can at least see the heavy pitting on the rollers in the bearing.

up in the air... does that Fujitsubo look great?

isn't something supposed to be in here?

and doesn't something belong here too?

pitted rollers on bearing from secondary shaft

anyone have a clue on how common this failure is? i did some searching for secondary shaft bearing, but i didn't get a whole lot of hits.

thoughts?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:23 PM

Mine has been whining for about a year. its nice to know it can fixed without spliting the tranny case. BTW did they say how much it would have cost, without the honda care?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:06 AM

haven't seen the bill yet... honestly, i'm not even 100% sure that HC is taking care of it, but all indications are that they will. (i don't see how this could not be covered.)

as they continue to work on it, and complete it (i should get it by this weekend), i'll ask for a rough estimate and try to let you know.

honestly, if i were you, i'd double check the source of the sound. based on my experience with bearings* and the condition mine is in (vs how loud it is)? i'd be negligent if i didn't tell you to strongly consider having it looked at. bearings (that whine) w/ pitts, etc. generally don't run too long before they start to come apart.

i'm also going to try and get some real pictures later on if possible.

*(i'm a machinery engineer by trade)
Old 09-30-2005, 04:47 PM

got the car back today. everything seems just fine. about 10 miles more on the odo (they told me they'd test drive it. 10 doesn't seem outrageous. *shrug*), and the whine is now completely gone.

i asked them what the final price was: ~$950
Old 10-01-2005, 01:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sometimes wonder if I have a transmission bearing noise, 56k on MY00.

Which bearing in the figure below did you have replaced? The long shaft is the secondary shaft, item #6 (looks like an 8). Is it item #13 or #14?

Old 10-01-2005, 07:45 AM

as best i can tell from your figure, my helms, and what i recall... #13 was the bad bearing. they replaced #13, #14, and #15.

remember, my noise was coming from the back portion of the transmission (or so i was told. i have no reason to doubt them, especially considering the bearing they pulled out.) it wouldn't be outrageous to have other bearings bad that made a similiar sound. so, i wouldn't base all decisions on my scenario until you were able to get things torn down and see what was failing.

here's a parts list that was on my receipt (1 each, except where noted):

91005-PCY-003 BEARING (31X55X13)
91201-PCY-003 W-OIL SEAL (40X60X9)
90203-PCY-001 W-NUT, HEX - (27MM)
91301-PCY-003 W-O-RING (28X2-6)
91302-PCY-003 W-RING, BACK-UP (28MM)
90402-PL9-000 W-WASHER (27MM)
91123-PCY-004 BEARING (41X68X20)
41384-PCY-000 W-SHIM D (68MM)
91124-PCY-004 BEARING (35X68X19)
08798-9016 MANUAL TRANS FLUID --- quantity 3 (3?? i thought it had a capacity of 2 qt.)

it then has a section down at the bottom that mentions
FC:213205
PART# 91005-PCY-003

i'm guessing that this is a 'failure class' and tells me (and HondaCare) which part (bearing) failed.

Quick Reply: Tailshaft Bearing Noise