S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Chase Race Hitch Exhaust Fitments

Old 10-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alvanderp,Oct 27 2009, 05:57 PM
Looking at the pics on the Greddy site, the 70mm single can seems to exit at more of an angle than the 63mm dual does, it still looks like a tough fit based on where I remember the upright for the heim joint being before I shortened the width of mine. Hard to say without trying it, which of course requires you to buy something that may not work

There are two ways you can make it work, take some width out of the hitch like I did, or shorten the pipe going to the muffler so it the OD of the muffler isnt so close to the opening. That can cause hanger issues though. I'd say to just make something custom, but I've been down that road, and making the compound bend in the mid-pipe over the rear chassis brace can be a PITA. The nice thing about the Greddy is the flange is just past that point in a natural turn-down so you can unbolt the muffler easy for some quick race day weight reduction. With just the resonated mid-pipe it was surprisingly quiet.
I'm on version 4 of "custom exhaust" and I'm tired of mucking with it.

This winter I'm just forking over the money for a good 70mm exhaust to be done with it. I don't mind making minor changes at this point.

Its against my common sense to pay anything more than $500 for some some pipe and mufflers so I'm going to wait for a decent used deal to pop up on one of the Greddy's and go from there.

Thanks for the input Drew
Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 PM

Anyone know why the magnaflow dual wouldn't fit?
Old 10-30-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm the Greddy TiC single does not fit. I just came in to check this site to make sure i am not missing something. Its coming off right after i type this and the stocker will go back on for now. This sucks!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by alvanderp,Jul 23 2009, 03:02 PM
I had to shorten the width of the hitch by roughly 1-1.25" on each side. What I did was cut the horizontal tube near where the heim joints attach, then cut out appx 1-1.25" of the tube and welded it back together. Then I re-drilled the holes in the mounting plates to move the clevices(clevi?) inward the same amount. This puts the vertical tubes with the heim joints behind the bumper cover(no longer can access them as easily), but due to the size of the muffler where the hitch mounts, its required to make it fit. Not impossible(doable with a metal saw and welder), but not for the faint of heart either.

You will also have to notch the mounting plates some on the upper inside because the chassis has a bumpout there and the plate won't sit flush otherwise.
This is a very good description of how to modify. I researched singles for a while and the best overall bang for the buck was the Greddy TiC Single. This is weighing sound, weight, drone, and performance as criteria. I really hate to sell it, take a loss, and have to find another exhaust all over again. Since the winter is here, and autox is done for the season, i am seriously considering modifying the hitch now that i have time. It will not only help with this exhaust, but if i decide to go to another exhaust in the future i am free to use any exhaust, so i pay once to modify the hitch, and it is with my time.

As i am thinking of how to do this mod, i am wondering why you did not approach it a different way. I would like to know if you thought about cutting the verticle tubes off and rewelding to the box frame rather than cutting a section out of each side of the box frame and rewelding together. I would think that moving the tubes would be easier to keep it straight upon rewelding. I am no welding pro by any means but i would like to hear your rationale for your approach.

Plus i am thinking if the tubes are threaded all the way through you may not need to even weld, just bolt the tube to the box by drilling a clearance hole enough for a socket through the bottom of the box frame and a smaller hole to bolt through to the tube. If you make the holes slightly oversize you can make some minor adjustments for fitment before tightening it down. They when it is bolted down you could follow up with welding it all around the tube if it will make you feel better knowing it will not move on you while welding. I have not done this mod yet, just thinking it through, so i don't know if this is even a good approach.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:36 AM

anyone know if this would fit with an asura 3 in dual?

yes holy bumpage and flame suit on. and i got this thread through searching
Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CooperS2K,Mar 26 2010, 10:36 AM
anyone know if this would fit with an asura 3 in dual?

yes holy bumpage and flame suit on. and i got this thread through searching
Don't know about the Asura exhaust, but thanks for bumping the thread rather than start a new one. This will keep all information in one place.

Also, I updated the first post with the recent reportings.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by CHILIBEANZ,Oct 27 2009, 06:40 PM
Anyone know why the magnaflow dual wouldn't fit?
I do know. The mufflers on the Magnaflow exit at an angle, rather than being pointed straight back parallel with the car. I don't remember exactly what part of the muffler cans hit the rear brackets for the hitch, but that's where the interference was. I believe it was the "face" of the can, the flat part to which the tips are attached. There was no way to make it work with exhaust hangar engineering or shifting the system in place. A friend and I tried everything we could think of up on his lift. I ended up selling the exhaust at a loss.

I guess I understand why they can't do it, but I really wish one of the vendors would offer to take an exhaust back as a return if it won't work with the hitch. Having vendors tell me "it looks like it should work" isn't very reassuring. So long as the car isn't ever turned on with the exhaust in place, it should be returnable to the vendor in as-new condition. If a vendor was willing to offer that kind of return policy, I'd probably pay a small upcharge. It would be a huge help to the S2000 community to be able to add systems to this thread. Financially, it wouldn't make a difference to me; if I get something and it doesn't fit around the hitch, I'm out extra money either way. Being able to return the system to a vendor would streamline the process a little.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 AM

70r-em dual does not fit with the hitch.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:12 AM

The AP1 Mugen exhaust can work with the Chase Race hitch on an AP2 S2000, although not easily. The rear hitch plates come very close to contacting the rearmost section of the exhaust canisters - closeness depends on the height of the canisters as held by the exhaust hangers. A creative hanger arrangement is needed to hold the exhaust canisters stiffly in place to limit/prevent side-to-side movement, otherwise they WILL contact the plates.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Anyone know if the Skunk2 catback will fit on an AP2 (MY07) with the Chase Race hitch?

Quick Reply: Chase Race Hitch Exhaust Fitments