S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AxialFlow Short Shifter vs. Others

Old 07-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I fully understand 84b18's point although the distance increase is not as large as going to a short shifter on a FWD car. I can live with the higher effort and occasional buzz.

I'd really like an OEM height shifter but with very short throws between gears (higher fulcrum). Supposedly Moddiction is working on one.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mister x,Jul 21 2010, 07:09 PM
I fully understand 84b18's point although the distance increase is not as large as going to a short shifter on a FWD car. I can live with the higher effort and occasional buzz.

I'd really like an OEM height shifter but with very short throws between gears (higher fulcrum). Supposedly Moddiction is working on one.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:35 PM

Update on the AxialFlow:

Recently I had a problem with the shifter not coming out of reverse lock out mode. The shifter would stay down and I could shift through all six gears and reverse without pressing down on the knob.

The cause was the plastic pivot cover on the very bottom of the shifter. It was too large for opening in the arm which attaches to the shift rod. Somehow the plastic expanded over time (heat?). I reinstalled the OEM shifter, no problems. Measured the O.D. of the pivot covers; OEM ~ 19.75mm, AxialFlow ~ 20.25mm. When the AxialFlow was first installed it did fit a little snug but worked fine.

Fix; I sanded down the AxialFlow pivot cover to 19.75mm. Works fine now, loving the short shifting again.

Maybe you materials engineering types or Richard Paul can comment on this. I never encountered behavior like this with plastics before.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see this compared to the new moddiction/international grinding shortshifter, anyone owned both?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mister x,Jan 26 2011, 05:35 PM
Update on the AxialFlow:

Recently I had a problem with the shifter not coming out of reverse lock out mode. The shifter would stay down and I could shift through all six gears and reverse without pressing down on the knob.

The cause was the plastic pivot cover on the very bottom of the shifter. It was too large for opening in the arm which attaches to the shift rod. Somehow the plastic expanded over time (heat?). I reinstalled the OEM shifter, no problems. Measured the O.D. of the pivot covers; OEM ~ 19.75mm, AxialFlow ~ 20.25mm. When the AxialFlow was first installed it did fit a little snug but worked fine.

Fix; I sanded down the AxialFlow pivot cover to 19.75mm. Works fine now, loving the short shifting again.

Maybe you materials engineering types or Richard Paul can comment on this. I never encountered behavior like this with plastics before.
Funny this comes up now. First I don't know how it could grow but let that asside for now. Don't know which bushing you got but odds are it was the Kevlar one.
These were out of tolarence right on 20mm and the hole is 20mm. We do not know the Honda tolerence but there has to be some. Therefore some gave trouble. We changed to a another material when we changed the size.
Fast forward to now and we are working on an anti-vibration retrofit. This was worked out by someone on this forum who's name I will not mention as he doesn't need all the PM's. He can speak up if he wants.
He worked full time on the problem and I can't even guess how many times he r&r'ed his shifter.
The mod he came up with involved some new parts and carefull fitting of the lower bushing. At this time our size is going to be 19.85 - 19.9 or .781-.784 in inches.
The size you came up with is a little small and may rattle.
At this time we have 5 kits out there being tested and waiting for feedback.
If all is right in the field we will offer a retrofit on older shifters. There will be a small charge and the work will have to be done in our shop.
All new shifters at this time have this mod included.
Bottom line is that the detailing of clearances and some new additions are giving some help to those who have noise problems.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the info Richard, I really appreciate the continuing R & D. My pivot cover is a gray plastic and the measurements where eye balled as I only have a cheap caliper marked in MM so your data is probably correct. Please keep me updated on the retrofit.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:43 PM

The grey plastic is the latest part that we supplied. I can't comment on the size for that and your sizing might well be right on. Different materials require different clearance. The one I was talking about was the Kevlar ones.
We will continue to test the other materials as they all have their good and bad.
We have yet to find the perfect one with the perfect size and shape.
Yes, even the shape seems to make a difference.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 PM

OK, I just found a grey plastic bushing like you have. It is .7835 inches or 19.9mm
That seems like right on. Exception being if in fact it grows. I'll look if a used one ever comes through here.
We're talking really fine numbers here and if as you say your mesuring stick is questionable then numbers this close can't be checked against each other over the internet. As long as you're running ok then all is well.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 PM

I'm running fine, shifts are solid as ever and if it sticks again I know what to look for now. Thanks for the follow up.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 PM

Another update. I recently modded my TWM Abrams stainless knob to dampen the occasional buzz from the shifter. Everything is now as quiet as OEM (YMMV). The TWM knob uses an aluminum sleeve to make it adaptable to various sized shifters and adjust the knob height. By taking it out and replacing it with a rubber vacuum cap, it mimics the rubber dampening inside the OEM or Moddiction shifters.

Materials: 3/8" I.D. rubber vacuum cap, tennis racket grip wrap and of course the TWM knob.

DIY: 1. screw the vacuum cap on the AxialFlow. 2. Wrap it with the grip wrap in a clockwise direction up to slightly more than a 3/4" O.D. If you can find a cap with a O.D. slightly larger the 3/4" you may be able to skip this. 3. Screw on the TWM knob. If too loose, add more grip wrap, if too tight, take some off.

Photos show the materials along with the modded TWM knob and also the knob mounted. I haven't lost the short, crisp shifts and now it's dead quiet. I'm running a quiet exhaust now so I'm sure this works.
Attached Thumbnails AxialFlow Short Shifter vs. Others-twm-knob1.jpg   AxialFlow Short Shifter vs. Others-twm-knob2.jpg  

Quick Reply: AxialFlow Short Shifter vs. Others