S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

please help me fix my highs

Old 03-06-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default please help me fix my highs

I have the older original x type alpine components
jl g4500amp
and a pioneer premier hu
and a jl sub

I've tried every configuration between the head units very granular controls, changing the jumpers on the x overs, changing the settings on the amp all the tuning in the world and I'm still getting just way to high of notes and I really can't stand it.

Seems like I may be better getting another set of maybe less expensive components .... i don't know please what do you all recommend I'm just getting way to much routed to the tweeters and not enought going to the woofers.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's because the speakers you are using are designed to be peaky like that.

Go with some higher quality speakers (Away from Alpine, JL, MB Quart and the like).
Old 03-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Mar 7 2010, 07:28 PM
That's because the speakers you are using are designed to be peaky like that.

Go with some higher quality speakers (Away from Alpine, JL, MB Quart and the like).
I'd like to keep the cost down....how about the low end Focals or would I not see much of a difference until the k2's? How about the boston acustics?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the focal v2s for my rear speakers in my evo paired with k2p's up front which were active.. i say the v2 focals are pretty decent im going to pull it out of the evo and try to use it on the s2k and see if its any better...
Old 03-07-2010, 04:00 PM

where are the tweeters located. install location is very
important
Old 03-07-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josserman,Mar 7 2010, 07:38 PM
I'd like to keep the cost down....how about the low end Focals or would I not see much of a difference until the k2's? How about the boston acustics?
Madisound.com

SEAS tweeters: $35/ea.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

What EQ settings have you tried from the head unit?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Mar 7 2010, 09:22 PM
Madisound.com

SEAS tweeters: $35/ea.
can I mix and match these into my current setup ie keep my alpine wooffers and crossover and just replace the tweeters with theses?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Mar 8 2010, 06:35 AM
What EQ settings have you tried from the head unit?
I don't think there is much that I haven't tried with this. on the eq side I've tried turning down the higher band, turning up mid, I've tried a ton of different combinations I've probably spend 3+hr's hacking at it. I also changed some of the frequency curves actually had a pro tell me what to set it at but sill nothing.

The placement is the stock placement for 03 in the door which I think plays a huge effect. I'm almost tempted to put some sort of cover over the tweeter or something
Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman,Mar 8 2010, 01:01 PM
I don't think there is much that I haven't tried with this. on the eq side I've tried turning down the higher band, turning up mid, I've tried a ton of different combinations I've probably spend 3+hr's hacking at it. I also changed some of the frequency curves actually had a pro tell me what to set it at but sill nothing.

The placement is the stock placement for 03 in the door which I think plays a huge effect. I'm almost tempted to put some sort of cover over the tweeter or something
That's very odd as speakers will only tend to reproduce what you've sent them. I have the Alpin Type-R tweeters and all has been fine, and is even better with the Imprint setup.

These may help you, they are the frequency measurements taken using the Imprint software of a few cars:

You can see that there are common high peaks, which can be ironed out using the EQ.

Try cuts at 5Khz and 15kHz, as well as perhaps around 2kHz.

Exactly which highs are "too loud"? High notes from instruments/voices, or things like cymbals?

Which model HU do you have?

Quick Reply: please help me fix my highs