The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Greddy SE Single AP1 from Go Tuning - Pic/Review

Old 03-28-2010, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy SE Single AP1 from Go Tuning - Pic/Review

Greetings fellow S2kians,

THE STORY BEHIND IT ALL / REVIEWS

After finishing up a photography gig (freelance photographer on the side). I saved up some money to buy a new exhaust.

My main goal was to find a 70mm Single Exhaust for my AP1 (MY00) that would pass the following requirements below:

1.) The price = Has to be under my budget <$1000
2.) The appearance/quality/reliability = Exhaust piping, tip design and welds (eg. "half-a**ed" welds need not apply). I personally dislike "dolphin" tips and large canister type systems.
3.) The power = Exhausts must have some dyno plots from the manufacturer or members who have been able to test the before-and-after gains/losses. Gain or no gain, I wanted to have some proof of power/no-power for a "performance part" purchase.
4.) The obvious... sound = Noise level should be moderate (eg. louder than stock but quieter than an invidia).

After countless weeks of searching, reading and talking to members regarding their unique 70mm setups (custom, invidia 70mm, J's Racing, T1R 70mm, Spoon, HKS 75mm, Greddy SE) I decided to purchase the Greddy SE 70mm Single Exhaust which is only available from GoTuning (Tommy).

Here is my justification of why I decided to go with this exhaust. Also had to have the chat with the "wifey"

1.) The price is very reasonable for such an amazing exhaust that surpasses most single exhausts under the $1000 price range. I didn't have to sell my kidneys or my kids for the single Greddy SE system.

2.) The quality of the material and welds in this system is phenomenal. Every single detail (even the flanges) are welded to perfection. You can tell the manufacturer really spent a lot of time and energy into making a product customers will be proud to own and share with others to enjoy as well. (check out the pictures at the very bottom)

3.) The dyno plot provided by GoTuning (Tommy) indicated an 9.8 hp gain at peak (8001rpm) and a 5.8 lb/ft increase in torque (6256rpm) compared to oem stock exhaust (stock cat was NOT removed). Even though the test was done on an AP2, there was no reason to dismiss this dyno because chances were an AP1 would have yielded similar increases in power.

4.) The sound from YouTube videos and GoTuning's dyno sessions + takeoff was what I could find online. I did not hear this exhaust system in person so I had to take the plunge. I had a couple back-and-fourth PM's with members regarding this and the consensus was: "this is one of the quieter exhausts" The noise levels are advertised to be below 95dB, which is not bad at all keeping in mind the 70mm diameter of the piping throughout the system.

ONE EXHAUST THAT CAME CLOSE: HKS 75mm single exhaust. I almost bought this exhaust but 3 reasons deterred me from doing so:

1.) No dyno plot and its understandable since the exhaust was released not too long ago. However, I expected at least something from the manufacturer or at least a distributor that could help prove its gain or loss in power.
2.) No real quality in welds (a fellow member "s-nisen" recently did a great review on showing the quality of the welds (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=776744)
3.) No exterior appeal. I dislike the angled look and sometimes the large canister/loud exhaust note grabs the wrong kind of attention

REVIEW (after 270 miles / one gas fill-up):

Inside car/top-up: At idle, you definitely know that you have an aftermarket exhaust but you can still listen to your radio and have a conversation without any problems.

Inside car/top-down: At idle, exhaust is slightly louder than the engine. If you have a K&N FIPK2, thats a different story as your intake will probably be louder. Conversations can be carried on no problem.

Inside car/top-up: At acceleration, it sounds very close to the a Mugen V2 Dual setup (not too loud). Once cruising steadily, you don't even notice the exhaust (some members noticed drone, I am not noticing much).

Inside car/top down: At acceleration, it sounds a lot like the J's Racing 70RS FX Titanium I had on before as a test, but once cruising the noise drops down to a minimum and you do notice you have an exhaust but I would say the wind noise is more obvious to your inner-ear-drums than the exhaust.

Outside the car:

Will try to get some videos up next week.

PHOTOS

[Special Thanks to GoTuning]
** Although, I have no affiliation with GoTuning, I wanted to acknowledge Tommy @ GoTuning for providing the best customer service I could ever ask for. Very honest about the product, fast turn-around time in answering questions and really knowledgeable about the field. Couldn't have asked for a better transaction **

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=656962
http://www.gotuning.com/product_info.php?f...roducts_id=1283

-----

Box Arrived from GoTuning

Contents (everything is packaged properly/neatly) : Unpacked Contents 2nd row

System Exterior (the system is even more gorgeous in-person)

Welds (I wanted to point out even the welds @ the flanges looks amazing)

**I will be getting some pictures of the installation and the exhaust installed on the car tomorrow (03/29/2010)** Having trouble recently uploading photos in batches.

**** DISCLAIMER: ALL PHOTOS ABOVE CONTAINING LOGOS OF GREDDY, GOTUNING AND TRADEMARKS ARE RESERVED AND ALL RIGHTS, PROPERTY, OWNERSHIP OF HEREIN PORTRAYED LOGOS, TRADEMARKS ARE RESERVED TO THEIR RIGHTFUL OWNERS****

**** DISCLAIMER: THE ACTUAL PHOTOS WERE TAKEN BY ONE INDIVIDUAL PHOTOGRAPHER AND IS THE PROPERTY OF J. KIM PHOTOGRAPHY. COPYRIGHTS ARE RESERVED AS OF 03/2010. NO ALTERATIONS, DUPLICATIONS, SALE OR SOLICITATIONS OF THE IMAGES ARE ALLOWED WITHOUT CONSENT OF THE ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHER****
Old 03-28-2010, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice choice and great pics to boot!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:05 AM

Old 03-28-2010, 07:43 AM

Great write up!

You have me seriosuly thinking about getting this GReddy exhaust from GO Tuning
Old 03-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice pictures.

Tommy and GoTuning
Old 03-28-2010, 08:35 AM

two great exhaust writeups in the course of a couple of days!

thanks so much!

can you emphasize a little more on the lack of drone? I too have read others noticing drone, but found interesting that you didn't.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up - it is very helpful!

I have been debating between the Greddy SE, the SE single, and the HKS 75. After seeing the thread about the welds, and given there have yet to be any dyno plots, I have my eye set on the Greddy once again. The big question is, single or dual? Dual makes more power, but the single is a bit cheaper. And i figure being an AP1 owner, wanting to spend the $100+ on a GTmotoring exhaust cap for the single would just make the price between the dual and single that much closer.

Choices choices.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not a thing bad to say about my SE single. I absolutely love it.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by prancer,Mar 28 2010, 09:24 AM
Great write up - it is very helpful!

I have been debating between the Greddy SE, the SE single, and the HKS 75. After seeing the thread about the welds, and given there have yet to be any dyno plots, I have my eye set on the Greddy once again. The big question is, single or dual? Dual makes more power, but the single is a bit cheaper. And i figure being an AP1 owner, wanting to spend the $100+ on a GTmotoring exhaust cap for the single would just make the price between the dual and single that much closer.

Choices choices.
:thumbsup: to OP

Link to dyno plot of single vs. dual?
Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 PM

nice review and exhaust

Quick Reply: Greddy SE Single AP1 from Go Tuning - Pic/Review