S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Stock airbox mod inquiry

Old 04-20-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I do believe that, what exhaust do you have? Most exhausts if your looking for power, your only going to see higher gains with a 70mm single. You will see some gains with a 63 or 70mm dual, but they wont be hardly noticable street driving, just a different sound. Also better throttle response. Iv done tons of research and looked at reviews on a bunch of exhausts on here over the past year or so.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All great info.. It is my DD and car has plenty of pep.....for now...lol
Sound is deff. what I am looking for. And I think the FIPK and test pipe are the way to go for me. If I do other mods I should be able to build off of this....and not be throwing money into something only to replace it later. The mods are where I get lost, If you chance to better clutch ,,,start changing rear end .....Just an uneducated example...but you get my drift..
I really dont what I can change without either changing something else or tearing something up further down the line...Will be asking questions when Im ready...lol
Old 04-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ You wont tear anything up with simple bolt ons

a tune isnt even REQUIRED with full bolt ons (intake/header/test pipe/exhaust) of course tuning it will get you more power, but it isnt TOO noticeable
Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM

for mostly dd...would you recommend going back with oem clutch? prolly looking at a new clutch before to long. And I know its there for a reson but I hate the slip in it...lol
Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM

My air box gut job

The 2002 S2k OPTIONAL carjack deterrent
Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,Apr 11 2010, 09:42 PM
I have a gutted/insulated airbox with a K&N filter. Also with my custom air guide.
I'd like to see some pictures of the insulation that you added. I gutted and insulated my OEM air box this weekend to see how it would compare to my PWJDM intake, and the results were good. I forgot to email the dyno plots to myself, so I'll have to post them later. The power curve was virtually identcal between the two intakes except in the mid-range, where the PWJDM has it's "resonant hump". However, the sound is better with the gutted / insulated OEM box, since you really can't hear the intake at all with the PWJDM.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:30 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow, looks like you put some considerable work into insulating it. I do wonder if there's a considerable difference between insulating it vs. not insulating it..

I do notice heatsoak in the summer (especially with these 90+F days), and wonder if this would cut down on that at all. I gutted/cut out the oem airbox like your picture shows, but didn't insulate it..
Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats awesome that it can compare up there with the PWJDM Intake.

I can take some pics of mine when I get off work tonight. It looks like you used the same kind of stuff I did. I found mine at Ace Hardware. I did put sheet metal tape over mine also, so it looks a little different than yours.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is definitely a difference in heat soak from insulating it. My FlashPro datalogs show that the OEM box without insulation takes FOREVER to cool down once it's hot. With the insulation on the inside of the box, IAT drops very quickly once you start driving. It doesn't drop quite as fast as it does with my PWJDM, but I've insulated the inside of my PWJDM also.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks a lot for the info gernby, maybe I'll have to get off my ass and insulate mine as well. I can certainly see how insulating it can make a decent difference, especially with a very thorough insulation job like yours. I do wonder if the "snorkel" on your PWJDM intake helps substantially as well to reducing your intake temps, and maybe the OEM airbox doesn't have this benefit?

Would you care to share exactly what you used to insulate the box? It looks like you used some spray in adhesive insulation followed with some foil type insulation on top of it, and then let it all dry?

Quick Reply: Stock airbox mod inquiry