S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Stock airbox mod inquiry

Old 04-11-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stock airbox mod inquiry

So i have a K&N FIPK right now, and it has problems with heatsoak in the summer, especially down here in TX/OK

Ive always liked the PWJDM snorkel, but dont want to blow a grand on an intake. So i was thinking of doing the stock air box snorkel from PWJDM and gutting the intake box and dropping in my K&N filter

Only problem is this, I LOVE the mean low growl from my FIPK, with the K&N filter and gutted box will the intake still sound pretty much like stock? Im pretty muh asking those who have done the K&N drop in / gutted mod what it sounds like compared to stock.

Also would popping the PWJDM carbon air box lid make the intake louder?

If i were to do all that though I may as well just throw down a few extra $$$ for the whole PWJDM intake used from someone

thoughts?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a gutted/insulated airbox with a K&N filter. Also with my custom air guide. I can hear the growl of the intake while standing at the engine bay and hitting the throttle on the throttle body with the lid on. It is really loud with the oem lid off. So in the summers I run with the lid on and cooler weather without it so I can hear it. I think popping the lid on a PWJDM intake would look kinda weird and would most likely sound just like the oem with the lid off. I kinda want an FIPK to replace my setup. with the filter and gutted, it is slightly louder than all stock.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 PM

I have a gutted airbox with K&N drop in filter. Gutting it does make it slightly louder but it is pretty minor.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Ohh, also I live 2 minutes away from the oklahoma border. I have never had a problem with heatsoak with this set-up. I still want a FIPK though since people have said its a nice intake. It would be nice to change it up here and there.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking about getting a snorkel, and cutting the FiPK box to fit it, but I won't be doing this for a while
Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,Apr 11 2010, 06:57 PM
Ohh, also I live 2 minutes away from the oklahoma border. I have never had a problem with heatsoak with this set-up. I still want a FIPK though since people have said its a nice intake. It would be nice to change it up here and there.
I really like my FIPK, it makes awesome noises and it has sweet throttle response on the highway or when moving over 30mph or so, but you really have to be moving for the intake to shine. Not too big a deal for me but since ill be doing alot of city driving light to light stuff I want something that wont heat soak too bad.

Also ive got a MG style hood and would like to have something that actually uses the cut out so it isnt purely aesthetic lol

also seeing a huge ass snorkel in the grille would be sick
Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 PM

My FIPK was night and day better than the OEM box. I'll have to wait untill summer to see if their's heat soak. The noices it makes are astonishing.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gutted airbox with K&N filter and carbon fiber snorkel. don't forget to plug the resonator hole inside the airbox.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I was trying to decide on a FIPK as well for myself vs. gutted stock intake, and have decided to just gut the stock intake. I'm thinking the performance shouldn't be that drastic between a fipk and the gutted airbox, plus you get the nice quieter sound with the stock airbox.

Does anyone know if an AUT cooling plate makes a real difference with the gutted stock airbox?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 AM

^ It will help direct air flow to the airbox, but you wont really notice a difference.

Quick Reply: Stock airbox mod inquiry