S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shifting click clunk noise

Old 04-15-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting click clunk noise

I haven't noticed it too much but recently ive been driving with out music and it seems when i put it into 1st and 2nd gear it either makes a clunk noise or clicking noise it doesn't happen 90% of the time maybe like 1/3 of the time

i've read alot on the forums and i want to know is it normal?

most of the people on the forums who have the problems have AP1's and so do I

and is the shifting suppose to feel like butter sometimes it feels like it's sliding through in a line

let me know guys!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 PM

* in upshifting mostly when i'm beginner to clutch and shift in it makes a clunk or some times a click
Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 PM

bleh not a constant clicking either just like a simple click. like it shifted in click**
Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM

i think there was a recent post about this and it has been covered a coupel times i think. I find that it only happens when my engine is cold, i go through the gears before i start the engine and make sure the clutch is fully depressed when shifting to second. no problem now.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 PM

hrmm yeah when the car was cold it'll make the clunk noise and when it's warm it won't do it but sometimes outta the random at a stop i'll get read to transition the shift and when i put it in, it makes a clunk just random

LOL blah being a s2000 always makes u paranoid of any little things x]!

i'm just worried and hoping that my tranny isn't screwed or anything

it's just a quiet clunk and click random times
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I knoe exactly what you mean i think at low rpms s2000 transmissions can be a little clunky and noisy. I dont think its damaging anything its just the way they are. if it worrying you check your fluid to be safe
Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 AM

The suggestions so far seem to be right on. My experience is that the trans being cold and shifting at a rather low rpm increases the likelihood of a rough/noisy shift. When the engine is cold I make sure to shift at about 4k into second and I take the shift slow and kind of feel for 2nd gear to let the stick in rather than pulling/forcing it in...

I've only had the S for a bit over a week so it initially concerned me, to be safe I had my the trans fluid replaced (it was about time for that and diff fluid as well). The new fluid feels a bit smoother perhaps, but did not totally alleviate the slightly noisy shifts at times.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Ok some of u guys have confirmed it is true when i drove today shifting in low rpm's it sometimes happen as i usually do shift around 2500, or 3000 and at faster rpms it tends to not happen.

i recently changed my fluids honda mtf, and mobil 1 75w-90 diff fluid

ty guys! it had me paranoid but from many other forums they say in newer rwd cars they tend to do the same in shifting in low rpms and that it is normal to happen some times.

after i changed my fluids shifting felt like butter and smooth after a month of vtakkk smashin it feels good still but not as good as the first change !
Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by LBCS2000,Apr 16 2010, 08:47 AM
Ok some of u guys have confirmed it is true when i drove today shifting in low rpm's it sometimes happen as i usually do shift around 2500, or 3000 and at faster rpms it tends to not happen.

i recently changed my fluids honda mtf, and mobil 1 75w-90 diff fluid

ty guys! it had me paranoid but from many other forums they say in newer rwd cars they tend to do the same in shifting in low rpms and that it is normal to happen some times.

after i changed my fluids shifting felt like butter and smooth after a month of vtakkk smashin it feels good still but not as good as the first change !
I"m glad its solved teh problem, I completely uderstand the paranoid feeling especially since its your tranny.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 PM

When I'm at a stop and put the car in 1st I hear a small clunk noise, this happens only when the car is warm. I have a AP2.

Quick Reply: Shifting click clunk noise