S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

*Custom Bumper Scoop*

Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Custom Bumper Scoop*

So i plan on going with a K&N FIPK intake or something similar for my car.

I also plan on buying the AUT cooling plate.

I have already removed the stock cooling plate from the car and i would like to make my own snorkel leading up to the AUT plate.

I was just thinking to myself that if i found some plastic tubing around a 8" O.D. i could probably get away with that doing some minor triming and fitting for the single bend at the bottom and that damn AC line.

The problem is im having a tough time finding plastic tubing that large so i might have to go another route so i am open to suggestions.

Please do not suggest buying a snorkel, the reason why i plan to make my own is for budget reasons. The other reason being i think it would be fun. (I like to tinker with the car)

So please any ideas would be great, i plan to make a DIY when i figure out what i am going to use.

Thanks for reading and keep it polite!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an okay idea, but I doubt its really going to benefit much over just the AUT panel in place. I have the FIPK with the AUT cooling panel and love it. I thought about making a little scoop or something also, but I highly doubt there will be any noticable gains. Thats just my opinion, and I could even be wrong.

I'm not to sure where to find plastic tubing like your talking about, but sheet metal would be a way to do it. I'm very handy with sheet metal, and it would be fairly easy to fabricate a duct/scoop with it. You can even make it so it clears the A/C lines and everything exactly how you want it. Just a thought.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 AM

I am a sheet metal engineer at a company called Vance Metal fabricators in Geneva NY. I agree with the sheet metal design. It wouldn't be too hard coming up with something that would work i just wanted to find an easy way out like tubing. This way i could modify it a lot faster/easier while installing compared to some 16ga stainless. I think it wouldnt make much differnece either like you said, although people claim they can notice a difference while using a snorkel. Its mainly just something that you don't see people doing i would like to accomplish it more for fun and looks instead of any kind of gain. It would just be nice to say that i saved $250 making this snorkel device that does the same basic thing as your $300 snorkel.

But maybe on my lunch tomorrow ill spend some time in inventor working out some dimensions...
Old 09-27-2010, 03:20 PM

snorkel to stock air box does about the same thing as the aut plate directing air to the intake box. it can be done to try to get a little more air up there, but i doubt any NOTICABLE gains will be had. maybe mounting a metal fin directing air up from the grill only maybe a foot wide just on the side where the plate has the opening to direct more flow that way but i doubt the tubing will do much, just my opinion.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 08s2000CRbackinblack,Sep 27 2010, 03:20 PM
snorkel to stock air box does about the same thing as the aut plate directing air to the intake box. it can be done to try to get a little more air up there, but i doubt any NOTICABLE gains will be had. maybe mounting a metal fin directing air up from the grill only maybe a foot wide just on the side where the plate has the opening to direct more flow that way but i doubt the tubing will do much, just my opinion.
Yes i think if i were to go with sheet metal this way would be best. Just make a 9" wide slide going from panel to grill with a little suttle rolled lip at the end for the air to "slide up". Then i would just bolt it on up top under the cooling panel. I guess this mod would be more for fun and to be unique rather than getting any noticable gains.

Thanks for the reply's so far!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 AM

Well i just took a bunch of dimensions on my lunch and ill have the "slide" print all drawn up by 4:00pm. So hopefully i can squeeze it into our schedule here at Vance and test fit it on my car by friday....

Ill draw up a sketch and load it sometime later to give everyone an idea of what exactly i will be making.

Stay tuned.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:06 PM

So as i stated earlier here is waht i plan on doing, i tried to simplify the print as much as possible for clarity. Let me know what you think.

Bumper Scoop by bnag1, on Flickr
Old 09-28-2010, 01:23 PM

Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well keep in mind where the AUT cooling plates guide is, as that's where a majority of your intake will be comming from, NOT the fender area, ESPECIALLY if you're using a guide. This would further compliment and improve the ram air effect that the AUT / FiPK box combo creates. It seems to me if I'm looking at your idea correctly, is a little inefficient. Unless you wanted to improve intake in all areas, in which case I would just create a guide that drops straight down into the wheel area, and a guide through the AUT hump.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Sep 28 2010, 02:02 PM
Well keep in mind where the AUT cooling plates guide is, as that's where a majority of your intake will be comming from, NOT the fender area, ESPECIALLY if you're using a guide. This would further compliment and improve the ram air effect that the AUT / FiPK box combo creates. It seems to me if I'm looking at your idea correctly, is a little inefficient. Unless you wanted to improve intake in all areas, in which case I would just create a guide that drops straight down into the wheel area, and a guide through the AUT hump.
Well the Ram air scoop leads right up to the AUT panel opening that is directly in front of the intake...

Are you saying i should also get air from the fender opening to the left of the intake?

Quick Reply: *Custom Bumper Scoop*