S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

What Convertible top to buy? reviews?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What Convertible top to buy? reviews?

I have a '00 S2k and well, I have never seen a worse top yet! I have heard that Oem is garbage and to go with a aftermarket company. Anyone suggest one? have any luck with it? How many years have you had it? Any warranty?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most will point you to EZON or Robbins as they're cheap but they're just that, cheap. They may come with a decent warranty but those companies do nothing to prevent the usual wear spots on both sides of the top.

I would highly recommend either GAHH or Electron Top. GAHH carries a 5 year warranty but their Ultramaxx tops (s2000 included) carry a lifetime warranty on the bond between the top and the glass window. Electron carries a 72 month warranty but they fix the problem of the wear spots by manufacturing the top with material in both those spots that rub instead of rubbing the top itself. Both of these tops are considerably more than the EZON or Robbins but you get what you pay for.

This is my opinion as someone who works for a trim shop that's been around for 30 years and installs convertible tops on a daily basis. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpwned,Oct 12 2010, 09:36 PM
Most will point you to EZON or Robbins as they're cheap but they're just that, cheap. They may come with a decent warranty but those companies do nothing to prevent the usual wear spots on both sides of the top.

I would highly recommend either GAHH or Electron Top. GAHH carries a 5 year warranty but their Ultramaxx tops (s2000 included) carry a lifetime warranty on the bond between the top and the glass window. Electron carries a 72 month warranty but they fix the problem of the wear spots by manufacturing the top with material in both those spots that rub instead of rubbing the top itself. Both of these tops are considerably more than the EZON or Robbins but you get what you pay for.

This is my opinion as someone who works for a trim shop that's been around for 30 years and installs convertible tops on a daily basis. Take it for what it's worth.
What are the prices for the two you've suggested?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 AM

GAHH runs $969 and Electron runs $1264. Keep in mind, as I stated above, that GAHH carries a 5 year warranty on the top itself with a lifetime warranty on the bond between the glass window and the top. Electron carries a 72 month warranty but they manufacture their tops to prevent the normal rubbing on both sides of the top. Easily better tops than others but again, you get what you pay for. Hope this info helps.

Also note that these prices are for a glass window upgrade rather than the garbage plastic window.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpwned,Oct 13 2010, 10:20 AM
GAHH runs $969 and Electron runs $1264. Keep in mind, as I stated above, that GAHH carries a 5 year warranty on the top itself with a lifetime warranty on the bond between the glass window and the top. Electron carries a 72 month warranty but they manufacture their tops to prevent the normal rubbing on both sides of the top. Easily better tops than others but again, you get what you pay for. Hope this info helps.

Also note that these prices are for a glass window upgrade rather than the garbage plastic window.
Awesome, I will most likely just go with Gahh. This info has helped. I did see the other prices on tops, but the time it will take me + the money spent, I mine as well get something good.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by OneSilverS2k,Oct 13 2010, 12:47 PM
Awesome, I will most likely just go with Gahh. This info has helped. I did see the other prices on tops, but the time it will take me + the money spent, I mine as well get something good.
Sounds good. Good luck with the purchase and the install.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OneSilverS2k,

Did you end up ordering the GAHH Top? I'm in the same boat, hole in the top, and will be ordering a new one within a few days. BTW, I called GAHH directly and they said the top was only $899 and that the website price was wrong. They also said that there was no hardware included with the top. Do you have a list of required rivets?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 11:03 AM

spend a couple hundred more and you can get a hardtop!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^

with the OP saying the OEM soft tops are garbage though. I got the normal tears in the passenger side of my soft top, but its an 8 year old top, what do you expect really? All the tops will wear like that on our cars eventually.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:39 PM

well to be honest, i think they probably know they could get a hardtop for a little more....but some people do buy a convertable to use the top down and quickly put the top up if needed...just sayin.

Quick Reply: What Convertible top to buy? reviews?