S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

My heatsoak solution for PRM intake

Old 03-07-2011, 04:50 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice mod suzuka-blue-s2k will be looking into this when my PRM arrives in a couple of weeks...
Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased that same strut bar. Can't wait to have something to lean on lol
Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol yeah it was definetly worth it since I find myself leaning on it a lot. When putting it on make sure you have the bolts to the ends really loose. The bar comes in 3 peices, and I went ahead and bolted on the ends to it before I installed it, and it wouldnt go on. I had to loosen those 2 bolts up holding the ends on and it barely made it slide onto the studs. Then once you got it on just tighten the bolt on each end, then put the 2 nuts onto the studs on each side.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by xoz
nice mod suzuka-blue-s2k will be looking into this when my PRM arrives in a couple of weeks...
Glad to hear more people getting the PRM intake!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fyi...

i had the prm intake and basically tightened the whole thing down with each coupler extended as far as possible. this put the mouth right up to the fender hole. i noted the temps via the intake temp value from the obd port. i had this intake for a couple years, so i know the temp fluctuations pretty well. later on, i replaced it with a comptech intake, with the enclosed box around the same area. .......and what do you know, the intake temp was very similar. within a few degrees before to after, sitting still, and on the highway.

so, my point is, your "heat soak" might not actually be as bad as you think it is. it might be mostly "in your head." did you check the intake temp via your obd port before and after? i'm guessing it's not that different. a bit better no doubt after your mod though. maybe a couple degrees?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:56 PM

That's very interesting. The only difference I can tell like I said before is the shuttering on warm days with the A/C on and when pushing the clutch going to a stop. I've had the PRM for a little while now and since it's been warmer, it started getting worse especially with the A/C on. Since i've done this it hasnt done it near as bad, and I daily drive mine and know how my S acts on a daily basis, so I know it's not all in my head, especially when the shuttering happens. I'm just happy most of that is gone, and hopefully will stay away once summer gets here.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k
That's very interesting. The only difference I can tell like I said before is the shuttering on warm days with the A/C on and when pushing the clutch going to a stop. I've had the PRM for a little while now and since it's been warmer, it started getting worse especially with the A/C on. Since i've done this it hasnt done it near as bad, and I daily drive mine and know how my S acts on a daily basis, so I know it's not all in my head, especially when the shuttering happens. I'm just happy most of that is gone, and hopefully will stay away once summer gets here.
well, whatever the case may be, it's good that you fixed a problem.

also, fyi, comparing the comptech, which theoretically should be similar to your hose setup, and the plain prm, there should not be a large difference once your car gets moving. a lot of air moves through your engine bay while driving, and the negates most of the differences you found while idling. for example, while at a light, the temps are ~50-70deg c. but while on the freeway, temps will be ~32-45 degs (winter vs summer) while driving on the freeway. the freeway temps are more consistent, and do not really vary between prm vs comptech. however, while idling, there seems to be a little more variation, but i could not say which one was better.

anyway, bottom line, i'm glad it helped your car be more stable, but not so sure you actually have more hp from your mod. but that just goes to show the prm intake is pretty darn good, despite what one would assume.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to get a PRM as well, but worried about heat soak.

Mod, how has it been going with the hose?

Are you able to take some close-up pics on the hose-end towards the radiator as well?