S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

TerminatioN's Build Thread --- 11.7 @ 121

Old 03-26-2011, 05:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TerminatioN's Build Thread --- 11.7 @ 121

I've started to get pretty far into the car, so I decided I need a build thread. Let's start from the beginning...

I picked up the car in late August of 2008 from a private seller in Atlanta with approximately 36k miles. She wasn't in perfect condition, but the mileage was low, it was an AP1 (wanted the 9k redline), and the price was right. I drove her all the way home (back then, Gainesville, FL) with no problems and snapped these pics not too long after:

First mod was some new wheels (SSR GT1) and a nice coat of wax (pics taken right after):

Second thing I did was to get some tint and build a nice custom stereo. My goal was good sound quality without losing any trunk/storage space (since its already lacking in that department). With the current setups for the car this wasn't possible. So I did some custom work with the help of my buddy Davian @ IMVFilms. This is what I ended up with:

Build thread (more pics and info): https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=722671

Metal/Rock demo:

Rap demo:

I had a string of shitty luck though towards the end of 2009... Had a car in front of me on I75 throw some tire tread up and f@#k up my fender (replaced under insurance, thank god), then FUBAR'd a spark plug and melted a coil (due to an old recall that never got performed), then had the power for my stereo ground out at the battery in the engine bay and melt the battery post, then had a 90 year old man hit me head on (damage wasn't too bad, just f@#ked up the front bumper and one of the lights), and then some major engine problems (rod knock/spun rod bearing; vid).

I let the car sit in my garage for a several months due to my indecision on what to do to fix it (rebuild or replace engine).

While she was down though I swapped the lights out with some that have audi style LEDs, and have been painted gloss black on the inside (vs the stock flat gray) and had the diffusers smoked (trying to get rid of all that orange; I like the black on black on black etc look).

Here is how she sat after that:

Vid:

Finally, after researching some and thinking it all through, I decided swapping the motor was a better alternative than rebuilding the old one, since the F20Cs were prone to spinning rod bearings anyways, and I could upgrade to the F22C without any modifications and barely any extra money (vs rebuilding the messed up F20C).

So I bought a bare F22C longblock from a salvage car with 23k (documented) miles on it. and mounted all my accessories on it:

I got that swapped in the car and drove it around like that for over a year with no problems.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:26 AM

10/17/2010:

Fairly recently (September of 2010), I decided that I wanted to turbo the car... so after lots of research on what I wanted, and lots of saving, I pulled the trigger on a used kit...

The parts list:
  • Garrett GT3076R (.60 a/r) Dual Ball Bearing Turbo
  • AEM 1052U Engine Management System
  • AEM 30-4300 Serial Gauge (2)
  • ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate
  • ScienceOfSpeed Dual Gauge Pillar Pod
  • ScienceOfSpeed 3BAR MAP Sensor
  • RC 750cc Injectors
  • Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
  • Marshall 100PSI Fuel Pressure Gauge
  • B&M CommandFlo Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Rev Hard™ Cast Iron Manifold
  • Rev Hard™ Oil Filter Relocation
  • Rev Hard™ Intercooler (28x6.5x3)
  • Tial 38mm Wastegate
  • Vortech Blow-Off Valve
  • 2.25" Mandrel Bent Intercooler Piping
  • 2.5" Downpipe

I know it may seem crazy to some of you looking at the parts list and imagining how much it all cost, but this was actually a budget build. Other than the piece of shit GReddy kit, this is probably the cheapest kit out there. Granted, some of the parts (like the turbo and standalone) are upgraded from the typical Rev Hard kit, but pretty much everything was bought used, and thus this is a pretty inexpensive build for an S2000...

With saving money comes a toll though. Because of most of the parts being bought used, there were many kinks that normally would not have been a problem. Wrong/broken/missing parts made this build a lot more time consuming and difficult than it need have been. Waiting on the new parts to come in the mail was dreadful... but it was totally worth it in the end. Even though I know all my parts aren't the best of the best, and my car isn't the fastest out there, I'm okay with that...

When I first started planning this build my whole goal wasn't to make huge numbers or be the fastest. It was simply to have quick spool and decent reliability, so as to maintain the car as a good daily driver, while still making it a bit faster. So far I'm very satisfied, and I think it has met my goals very well...

Anyways, enough of that... now for the pictures!

First time dropping the turbo and new manifold in:

Some random pics of the bay, about mid way through:

And the finished product (on 10/~17/2010)...

After a much needed bath:

The car was initially tuned and running on 7psi, but after the clutch was broken in properly I promptly had it upped and retuned on 10-12psi.

Car will be dyno'd as soon as another dyno day gets setup locally that I can make it to. I'll add the numbers and sheet ASAP after that.

For anyone who made it the whole way through the thread, thanks for your interest. I'll try and keep the thread fairly up to date.

I still have lots of plans for the car, and although its a DD right now, I'm hoping to get a 2nd car (or maybe a bike) to daily, so I can do some weight reduction, and turn it into a more serious street (race) car, and/or a mostly track/weekend car.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice mods so far
Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 AM

2/6/2011:

Stock exhaust was really restricting the turbo, so I decided I needed something that flowed better.

I decided to go ahead and upgrade my downpipe too. Nothing off the shelf really met my criteria and was kind of expensive so I wanted a custom 3" exhaust made all the way from the turbo back.

The muffler I chose was a 3" Vibrant Streetpower Black Oval (#1147) with a 3" Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator (#1142).

I'll try and get pics on the car and a sound clip up ASAP.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definitely interested in a sound clip of that exhaust setup.

nice build so far
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep it up
Old 03-27-2011, 03:25 PM

you bought this from my cousin in atl. this came a very long way man, keep it up!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 PM

Sick!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice build, hop on some wheeelzz
Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, wheels are fine...just the gold color isn't the best. What do you think of the quality of the RevHard manifold?

Quick Reply: TerminatioN's Build Thread --- 11.7 @ 121