UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cruddy Synchro...

Old 08-26-2011, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruddy Synchro...

Hi Guys,

I bought an S2000 from a member on here only to find that the Synchromesh in third gear is absolutely shot. Can anyone recommend a refurb company or the best place to get a recon gearbox for my AP1?

It looks as though the previous owner has walked away from the problem. It's partly my fault because I bought the car in good faith without a test drive, but I like to trust people and take them at their word... More fool me!

Thanks in advance for yur help!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Name and shame !

I would imagine it would be best to replace the gearbox rather than digging into it.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by razzele
Name and shame !

Squeak had her gearbox refurbished, although it was just the bearings that were replaced...not synchros. Send her a PM to see where she got it done.

The trouble is, how do you know that a secondhand gearbox will be ok? A new one is £££££££££££££££££ and therefore out of the question, leaving refurbishment as the most reliable option.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by loftust
Originally Posted by razzele' timestamp='1314354665' post='20915642
Name and shame !

Squeak had her gearbox refurbished, although it was just the bearings that were replaced...not synchros. Send her a PM to see where she got it done.

The trouble is, how do you know that a secondhand gearbox will be ok? A new one is £££££££££££££££££ and therefore out of the question, leaving refurbishment as the most reliable option.
I'm not going to name and shame yet, as I'm trying to negotiate with the guy at the moment (if he'll talk to me). Absolutely gutted really as it's an expense that I (like most people) can do without...
Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Are you sure it't syncro, what are the symptoms? Third is the first to show as being harder to engage on the S for many reasons, clutch in need of bleeding/fluid change, gearbox oil needs changing, selector/gear lever greasing. And you need a sypathetic hand changing gear, pust the stick and wait for it to take don't just push it hard and hope.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
Are you sure it't syncro, what are the symptoms? Third is the first to show as being harder to engage on the S for many reasons, clutch in need of bleeding/fluid change, gearbox oil needs changing, selector/gear lever greasing. And you need a sypathetic hand changing gear, pust the stick and wait for it to take don't just push it hard and hope.
Agree with you 100%. There are no issues in any other gear, not even snicking into gear. My other S2000 has a slight snick going into third but this is a true full on graunch which smacks very much of a gearbox that has been thrown into third before the synchro has got fully up to speed, which over the years has knackered it. I could be wrong, but in my experience it feels exactly like shagged synchromesh
Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it didn't take too much detective work to see which car and the seller. I see mention in the advert about a recent clutch change, it's a very early and high mile JDM import. Sold in a bit of a rush, given that the guy was only modding bits on it a few weeks ago. Don't know if that means anything.

There's lots of posts on gearbox issues some major and some very minor, I hope it's one of the latter. Before you start spending big money on it, have you the facilities to do a gearbox oil change? have a close look at what comes out and put some fresh Honda MTF in there.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Third does take a lot of strain on high-speed downchanges if you cannot H&T.

X1/9s are prone to the same problem & I learned to H&T rather than exchange gearboxes...
Old 08-27-2011, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by NineBolts
it didn't take too much detective work to see which car and the seller. I see mention in the advert about a recent clutch change, it's a very early and high mile JDM import. Sold in a bit of a rush, given that the guy was only modding bits on it a few weeks ago. Don't know if that means anything.

There's lots of posts on gearbox issues some major and some very minor, I hope it's one of the latter. Before you start spending big money on it, have you the facilities to do a gearbox oil change? have a close look at what comes out and put some fresh Honda MTF in there.
Ninebolts, thansk for the advice. The graunch into third is so bad that I strongly fear that it's beyond an oil change to solve the problem...
Old 08-27-2011, 02:10 AM

Well, it looks like the seller isn't responding to my texts, nor has he phoned me to discuss the issue. Other than leaving negative feedback on Ebay, there's not much else I can do. It is such a shame that trust and honesty seems to have left the building these days.

I've found a warrantied recon gearbox for £575 so this may be the way to go, otherwise a rebuild could cost bundles

Quick Reply: Cruddy Synchro...