California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

soft top rip

Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top rip

so i was putting the top down yesterday and noticed that it wasn't going fully down. this has happened before and to remedy the situation, i just put the top back up and put it back down. last night was an exception where when I did this, it went fully down, but only after jerking slightly during the last could inches or so. when i put the top back up again, i noticed that it more or less punched a hole a sq. in or so wide by my driver side latch.

anyone experience this before or know what my options are? it's currently taped shut but i suspect that if i put the top down again, it'll open up. i had the top replaced around 35-40k with a slight tear on the driver side rear. i just hit 75k yesterday and am unsure how to proceed. i also notice that there's a very slight tear on top of the bar right above the driver's head as well.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's from the bar right above your head not going back properly because of the elastic loading it's elasticity and not pulling the bar back.

Edit
I don't think Honda will do anything more for you, you'll have to replace the top and file down a few areas and manually push the bar above your head pack a bit while putting the top down.

Pushing the bar prevents holes by the latches.

Filing a particular part of the bar will prevent the holes by your head.

Come to a meet and I'll show you

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here is how i fixed my giants rips...

1. buy some soft top patch material from hondapartscheap.com
2. sew the hole together with some heavy duty thread

3. glue the patch to the underside
4. sparingly (this i didnt do so well ) apply black silicone sealant over the stitches on the outside

5. success! rip fixed.

Originally Posted by macr88
It's from the bar right above your head not going back properly because of the elastic loading it's elasticity and not pulling the bar back.
correct, and for this stupid problem
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM

Welcome to the Tear in my Top club. I copied Chris' (Ics2ks) approach and found that masking off around the outside area before applying silicone helps keep things under control or the S*#^ goes everywhere.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Offtrack
Welcome to the Tear in my Top club. I copied Chris' approach and found that masking off around the outside area before applying silicone helps keep things under control or the S*#^ goes everywhere.
good idea!!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM

YO JEFF!! damn bro, long time no talk!

yea man, I got the same problem... my friend recently changed the elastic on my top. before it was replaced, I used to manually move that bar myself. however, the first time I did it, I DID punch a small hole on my top on the passenger (faak) from some part of the clip holding the elastic strip in place.

the hole isn't big enough to where water leaks in too much, but it's big enough! what I'm planning on doing is to put a patch on the inside with 3M adhesive spray to tide it down for while.

**OFF TOPIC**
Dude, I mentioned your name at the last weekend meet I went to and you're sooooooo OG, no one knew who I was talkin' bout! Too bad I was lurking for so long and didn't register on S2Ki back when all us BAP'ers did like 7 years ago or I'd be super OG too
Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by aww_shiet
what I'm planning on doing is to put a patch on the inside with 3M adhesive spray to tide it down for while.
thats exactly what i did. 3m adhesive spray (i think its like #80 or something, used for vinyl) applied generously to the patch. i go topdown at least 1x per day and so far so good its been on there for almost 9 months and its still sticking.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM

You can always try asking insurance to cover the cost of replacing the soft top. Depends also if you have full coverage.

I have the same problems with my top... Did the fix that Chris mentioned but eventually it cracked again and started ripping.
I bought a seibon hardtop to fix the problem now the only problem I'm having is I can't put my top down anytime...
Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by na3j nitsuj
You can always try asking insurance to cover the cost of replacing the soft top. Depends also if you have full coverage.

I have the same problems with my top... Did the fix that Chris mentioned but eventually it cracked again and started ripping.
I bought a seibon hardtop to fix the problem now the only problem I'm having is I can't put my top down anytime...
Does insurance cover torn top replacements? I could get my top and kick panel fixed at the same time

Quick Reply: soft top rip