New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Senna Movie in Upstate NY

Old 09-21-2011, 07:08 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 148 Posts

Jeff - sounds good. After-movie D&D would be cool

Dave - 6:40 it is. The movie is only being screened on Friday which is probably why you could not see it listed elsewhere. Mark355 should be joining us as well.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Think everyone that is coming should just buy tickets online. I expect the 6:40 to be crowded.

Here is the link:
http://72341.formovietickets.com:223...dDate=20110923

If that does not work, go to
http://www.spectrum8.com/coming/index.html
and then click on the Buy Tickets link alongside the Senna listing
On the buy tickets page, make sure you set the date for Friday the 23rd.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

I expect to be there at around 5:40 to 6:00 PM. Might as well grab the best seats as Spectrum 8 is an old movie theater complex and it will be no fun sitting towards the front.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:47 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

movie is today. booked my ticket.

Have not heard from Mark, so not sure if he is coming.

Dave, I will see you at the movie theater. I should be there around 6:00 PM.

This is turning out to be quite the meet
Old 09-23-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Ticket bought!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Mark contacted me via e-mail. He will be there for the 6:40 show
Old 09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Here at the movies. Not much of a crowd so far. Waiting on Mark. Dave had to cancel owing to a last minute prioroity.

See a few people wearing McLaren shirts
Old 09-23-2011, 02:21 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Mark out with car trouble. I'm the only guy here.

All male audience so far. Not a single lady.

Hotter than Singapore in here
Old 09-24-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm interested in hearing your movie review
Old 09-24-2011, 08:59 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by markpenske
I'm interested in hearing your movie review
I think the movie is well made and very well written. Even though it shows clippings and commentary about Senna, there is a script at work there. A script that casts him as the outsider establishing his presence in the sport and his battles with Prost and Jean Marie Balestre of the FIA.

Having only read about Senna, watched him in news clippings and never seeing him race, my knowledge of the man was shaped by how people I met spoke of him and from articles on the Internet and tributes on TV shows. This movie does not reinforce or try to dwell on what is already known. It shows the human side to him in addition to his racing. Senna is the narrator with key people in his life sharing input from time to time.

Ron Dennis has a lengthy presence in the movie, second only to Prost and the movie does appear to show that they shared a very special friendship. The movie shows Senna outside the confines of F1, on TV shows, on vacation with his family, a side of him that was probably never seen before and in doing so humanizes him and sort of provides a rationale for his motivation and success.

Other than a brief mention about his relationship with Japan, the version I saw yesterday does not go very much into detail. Perhaps they will have a directors cut out on DVD some day that will fill in the gaps.

Throughout the movie, I noticed that people were enjoying and laughing as Senna went after Prost or argued with Balestre. His friendship with Dr. Sid Watkins is also very touching. Adrian Newey can be seen in a brief still and Frank Williams in my opinion was painted in a shade of grey.

The entire final chapter is very touching and introduces a young Rubens Barichello who is bashful in the presence of Senna, his deity. The accident Rubens meets with, followed by the Simtek accident that kills Roland Ratzenberger and the shock and anguish enveloping the community following the fateful moment is very vividly captured.

In closing the movie appears to show that Prost & Senna made peace. With Prost being a pallbearer at Senna's funeral and then signing up and continuing to be on the board of directors for Senna's charity.

The movie is definitely a must see, and I have a feeling that more people would have attended had they scheduled the showing in a commercial movieplex. Spectrum 8 where I saw the movie is a tiny indie movie exhibitor and did not quite have the screen nor the sound effects that were needed for this movie. I was the first person to walk in there, but the place filled up by the time the movie started. Also I was probably one of the youngest people there ( M355 could not come ) as mostly everyone seemed 40 and older. Got to see people wearing some really cool F1 gear to come see the movie.

If any of you get a chance, go watch the movie. It is well-worth the $10 I paid for the ticket and I haven't seen a movie out in a long time.

Quick Reply: Senna Movie in Upstate NY