S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Soft brake pedal

Old 03-10-2012, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Soft brake pedal

Hello s2ki,

struggling with bleeding brakes.
I changed all brakes components as well as rebuilt calipers (seals and stuff).
Bled the system, but pedal goes to the floor.
Tried to bleed again several times, now it's better but still way too soft. If I drive the car it gets better if you press the pedal more than once. Second push will eventually make the car to stop fine.
Another mechanic tried to bleed it too, but after several rounds said that my master cylinder might be broken.

I searched the board and read that this might be the ABS module problem, that the air may be there.

My question is, if the ABS is closed system until you actually engage it, how the pedal would be soft until the time you actually activate the ABS on hard braking?

Please advice. Hope it is just the ABS.
I just drove the car and engaged the ABS about 4-5 times, but didn't re-bleed yet. Just want a second opinion if somebody had same problem.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you get air into the master cylinder? If so, you may need to remove the master cylinder and bench-bleed it. Hopefully that's not the case. Try to engage ABS a few times, then re-bleed. What type of pads did you install btw?

P.S. try posting in the Under The Hood section... Might get some better responses in there.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The owners manual has a picture of the brake system which in our cars It's divided or separated in 2 sub systems working all together but individual at the same time... That will give you an idea on how to bleed it in the proper sequence...
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your brake pad and disc thickness. Also check if ur brake caliper is jammed. If all is good, u might have a leaking master cylinder
Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM

made some progress today on rebleeding everything again after engaging ABS several times.
Now the car actually stops fine, but the pedal still too soft and initial bite is only when pedal is more than halfway down.

Should I do the same procedure again? ABS and bleeding?

Not sure if gravity bleed will actually help more.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

You have air in the system. Bleed until it's all done.

I'm also assuming you're pumping your brake pedal with the car off to set the system prior to starting the car.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
You have air in the system. Bleed until it's all done.

I'm also assuming you're pumping your brake pedal with the car off to set the system prior to starting the car.
I understand that i have air in there. but what is the indicator that its all done besides actual driving?
today I flushed with 2qt. of ATE fluid (made two cycles around FR-FL-RL-RR) and pedal still soft.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:48 PM

How old is your car?
If its an older one, the brake master cylinder is usually shot.
After i did my Spoon calipers/lines, my BMC literally died. Couldn't lock up wheels even with aggressive pads and worn tires.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Typical easy test for the master cylinder?...pull back the carpet on the driver's floorboard. If its soaking wet under there...that'd be brake fluid leaking out of the master cylinder

Of course, if you *are* leaking fluid from your master cylinder, then the fill resevoir should be visibly dropping / losing fluid too.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having the same issue, I actually changed the brke master cylinder and not getting engagment till half way through pedal travel. By looking at some of the posts, it seems like if there is air in the abs module, it wont vacate till abs in engaged? So go drive, engage abs and bleed again. does the gravity bleed work for this or so i need to pump the pedal and then bleed?

And what is this press the pedal before you start the car to set the system?

Pads and rotors are less than 3 months old, tires have 3/4 tread left and alignment is good.

Quick Reply: Soft brake pedal