S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

tapping feeling through clutch while reving

Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tapping feeling through clutch while reving

New to S2000s and this forum so here goes a first post. I have a 2000 s2000 and when the clutch is fully depressed and i rev then engine i can feel a tapping through the pedal. If i slowly rev through the 2000-4000 rpm range, at certain rpms i feel a tapping. If i let the rpms fall and accelerate at one of those trouble rpms, it is more pronounced. It does not seem to be accompanied by a noise (at least not a pronounced one) but it almost feels like engine knock. It seems to get worse as the car gets warmer or if i have done a few vtec runs. I recently had the valve retainers replaced and valves adjusted thinking that would fix it, and it almost seems worse now. It just seems to be getting worse with time. I drove another friends s2000 and theirs had this as well but to a much much lesser degree.

Any idea what it could be or what i should investigate? thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i too would like to know what this is. according to billman any pulses felt through the clutch pedal indicate that the thrust bearings are going bad. the problem for me is that i watched my crank pulley as i pressed the clutch to see if i had crankwalk but i dont, meaning the thrust bearings should be good. but i have that pulsing in the clutch which really scares me. and i want to add its under the same conditions as described above, when it gets warmer it gets worse.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 PM

bump
Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM

I always thought that it was just the oscillating frequency of the engine and it was just engine vibration going through the mounts to the firewall to the pedal (which is sticking out, so it has its own natural frequency, etc etc). Have you taken a look at your engine mounts? I'd assume vibration at only certain RPMs implies a sort of natural freq. problem, not thrust bearings which would probably be a consistent pulsing? I hope I don't have crank walk either
Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 AM

if the engine mounts were to blame then i dont think it would get worse as it heats up. Also it is definitely not just normal engine vibration either, because its not consistent through the rev range. The normal vibration turns to knocking only at specific points in the rpm band. It almost feels like a metal on metal knock tapping and it does not feel like harmonics or some other vibration amplification. I can rev the motor at 3200rpm and feel it a lot. but then rev it at 3000 or 3400 and i cant feel it. It hits right at 3200rpm as well as other spots. It really feels like knock but there does not appear to be a knocking sound. :|
Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 AM

bump
Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 PM

bump
Old 07-14-2012, 04:47 AM

Received 1,265 Likes on 772 Posts

Measure your Crankshaft thrust with a dial indicator. Vibration in the clutch pedal is a broken clutch or bad engine thrust bearing.....which means a new engine will very likely be needed.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 AM

I had an OEM clutch replacement and the scenario mentioned by the op happens with MY00. It feels worse in reverse and is at its worse when warm and/or when driven hard.

My flywheel was reused and was not resurfaced, I thought in the past that it could just be the vibrations from the hot spots but am now thinking it could be something else?

Could the hot spots on the flywheel cause this pulsating also?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 PM

With mine, i had replaced the clutch and put a brand new scienceofspeed flywheel in it. So it would not have any hot spots causing this. Im starting to think it is some kind of engine knock though i dont know what that should sound like. The engine makes the clicking through the pedal only under load and only once warm. When reving from 2500-3000 i feel it the most then letting the revs drop back through that range i cannot feel it. So it needs throttle to occur. I feel it about 50% more with engine acceleration than with constant rpm. And it cant be felt at all with deceleration. Is that similar to what everyone else is feeling?

Quick Reply: tapping feeling through clutch while reving