Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 11-08-2013, 02:59 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I wonder what these are for?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 AM

Here is an update on my Girodisc rotors with revised rings after full day at Laguna Seca (6, 20 minute sessions, 75F) running 1'48s with everything on the car stock except the rotors, Project µ Club Racers F+R, Project µ brake fluid, Spoon Rigid Collars, and Bridgestone RE-11A 225/255 on stock wheels with custom alignment.

Right

Left

No signs of any cracks or anything developing and I would say these rings have been put through more abuse than the originals which I used for 3000 miles or so (including a track day at Thunderhill), the current revised rings have done a little over 2000 miles now of hard street driving and the Laguna track day and are showing very little wear and the previous issue appears to be completely resolved. Both sets of rings used only Project µ Club Racer pads on the track and street.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 AM

Also in preparation for upcoming track days at Thunderhill (Nov. 17th) and Buttonwillow (Nov. 29th) I had fresh Club Racer pads installed all around, along with Science of Speed rear rotors since my rear rotors were finally getting a bit worn out. The Club Racers I removed had done about 2500 miles on the front pads (with ~60% life remaining), and 5500 on the rear pads (~50%) so it looks like I should be able to get around 5000 miles on the front pads and 10000+ miles on the rear pads. I will store the old pads for when these fresh ones run out of course, but I wanted to have nice meaty pads on the car for both track days and to bed-in the new rear rotors. I decided on the Science of Speed rotors because they have similar slotting to my Girodisc fronts, and they are actually cheaper than OEM rear rotors.

Front pad wear after 2500

Rear pad wear after 5500

With my first set of front Club Racer pads, I only got around 3500 miles out of them including the brutal 105+F track day at Thunderhill, and my usual routine of weekend touge driving. I had though the slotted rotors might have something to do with this, but it looks like it was almost all to do with the brutal super hot Thunderhill track day. Laguna Seca is MUCH harder on brakes than Thunderhill and I was not going easy on them at all, but the temperature was much more reasonable at 70-75F. So this wear rate is very promising.

Anyone else looking to try out the Club Racer pads, you shouldn't use my wear as what you should expect with your own usage. I would imagine most people would get twice the life from these pads. I wouldn't recommend them for normal daily driven street use of course (cold track pads wear out really fast since they work best when they are up to temp) unless you regularly drive your car as hard as you would on the track on the street. I really don't have any reason to try out any other pads for the track, these in combination with the front rotors and Project µ fluid and I am extremely happy with my brake setup. I do want to try to bring in some Endless pads to test out, they are very expensive, but I am curious too see what sort of life I could get out of them compared to the Project µ.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

One more awesome thing you'll find when you go squared setup. Braking is going to feel amazing. All the extra tire makes a difference.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
One more awesome thing you'll find when you go squared setup. Braking is going to feel amazing. All the extra tire makes a difference.
Yes definitely. I got to go for a ride in my friends car with 255s all around on Ohlins TTX and the difference under braking is incredible.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:45 PM

The Ohlins man is here!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Where have you been? lol
Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 PM

Ohlins DFV! HUGE thanks to Patrick at Urge Designs for getting these to me very quickly after I decided to order. I got lucky and ordered when there were a few sets were on their way the the U.S. Patrick helped answer a ton of questions I had and made great suggestions.

I work for a company very well known for it's packaging, and this is pretty nice packaging.

All the parts ready for assembly. The assembly on these is extremely simple with nice clear instructions included. They came adjusted to the recommended settings out of the box, so just install the rubber boots, springs, bearing spacers and top hats. For the rears they recommend trimming the boot but I decided to just pull it down along the shock body a little further since a little extra protection from the elements can't hurt.

Assembled, with a slight change as you might have noticed. I will be running these initially with a staggered setup 225/255 and wanted to keep the spring rate balance similar front and rear as my 06 AP2 is stock. I will be running HyperCo 550lb (9.8kg) springs all around. I do plan on trying to maximize the staggered setup with the HyperCo as well as the included Ohlins 10kg/8kg springs to see which setup I like best. But the blue HyperCos are looking pretty good on the gold dampers. Then I will do the same on a square setup. My plan has always been to setup the car for the street first and see what it can do on the track second, that is why I ordered the Ohlins after picking up the SRCs as well. I couldn't resist the SRCs due to the price, but now I will have the chance to test the Ohlins on two different spring setups, and I plan to test the SRCs on 12kg springs all around as well as the included 16kg springs. So I should be having plenty of fun starting in December or January.

Here are some more shots of the beautiful Ohlins:

Ohlins/Eibach springs (100Nm & 80Nm):

The adjuster knobs are great on the DFV.

Expect a very thorough review of these once they are installed along with the Volks and some other supporting suspension bits and some actual data to compare what I was able to do on the stock suspension with 225/255 RE-11As, and what I can do with just a suspension and wheel change but using the same tire sizes. As I said, it should be a very fun year.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 PM

I also got some other gold stuff! New torque wrench (CDI/Snap-on 1/2" drive) and Sunex 19mm extended socket. Should help keep my CE28Ns from getting scuffed up, at least when taking them on and off.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff! Can't wait for your street and track review.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II