Aus & NZ Off Topic For all non S2000 related topics

Non-car related question for Aussies and New Zealanders

Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by do$tylz_v2
So if they just said - "Yep! We're eating them and they taste derricious" you'd have less of an issue?

Good call re religion as the excuse. It seems to be the excuse to be using for a lot of atrocities wherever and whenever

Vader1 - mate make your way over here if you can mate. It's awesome. I've been fishing heaps of times and been in fear of my safety that humpbacks get THAT close to you when fishing. A mate has had his anchor picked up a couple of times by whales swimming under his boat and catching the rope. Our diving off the north coast of QLD is amazing. I've only snorkelled it but I got to go to reefs that the average joe doesn't get to go to so snorkelling was all that was needed.

What do americans think about their current gun laws? (where's the can of worms emoticon?)

Americans are nuts about guns either for or against. I don't own and have never fired a gun, but find that most of the suggested restrictions kind of meaningless. If you outlaw "assault rifles" like an AR15, but still allow semi-auto deer rifles, then what have you done except for get rid of something that does the same thing but looks more offensive. There are so many guns over here the cat is out of the bag. And if you are deranged and want to kill people but don't have a gun, you go on the googlywebs and find out how to make a bomb or poison of some sort so I personally don't care. Some people get their panties in a bunch over guns, but I don't care.

Love to dive Australia some day but I want to find a time where I have at least a month to stay and the money to do it. I have a goal to see leafy sea dragons. Just no bull or great white sharks please.

Got close to a bunch of humpbacks with newborn calfs and it was no biggie, docile animal, I would not worry. From what I am told, never get in the way during mating season. The males will go through anything to get to the female, and when the males are putting on a show trying to attract them by breaching and all that they get a little testy. Besides that, they are mellow as hell 11 months out of the year.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Americans are nuts
No argument from me.

most of the suggested restrictions kind of meaningless.
Yeah kinda. But this is politics. The Powers That Be (PTB) need to be seen to be doing something, but not so much that they alienate a good part of the population. The US is in a mess with gun violence and unfortunately a 'slowly, slowly, catchy monkey' approach is called for.

And if you are deranged and want to kill people but don't have a gun, you go on the googlywebs and find out how to make a bomb or poison of some sort.
That sounds great in theory but is not really the case. Some one goes nuts here, they don't do a bit of research, procure some highly volatile chemicals, assemble a bomb and detonate. They have a beer, have a rant, troll on the internet and get over it. If an assault rifle was on hand perhaps the result would be different. That is the crux of the gun debate.

Some people get their panties in a bunch over guns, but I don't care.
Some people had kids at a Sandy Hook Primary School.

The males will go through anything to get to the female, and when the males are putting on a show trying to attract them by breaching and all that they get a little testy.
Good thing they don't have access to assault rifles.

Seriously though, if I lived in one of the messier parts of the US I would probably have a gun. The problem is bad enough there that a complete ban on guns would cause a lot of problems in the short term before any good would come of it.

Actually if I lived in one of the messier parts, I'd move to Australia.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha... yeah.. you can't avoid the bull sharks here. They're everywhere. The odds though are quite low though as a swimmer/diver.

Yeah it's the breaching that worries me. When you have a beast that big breaching withing 10m of your boat it's pretty scary. Particularly if they do it from behind you and you didn't expect it.

yeha it's gonna be a complex knot to undo regarding your guns over there. We were pretty lucky that we didn't have such a big gun culture here when we had our reforms. It baffles me (obviously because I wasn't raised over there) the views of some places where losing your right "to bear arms" is such a big thing. I wonder what those people would think if they came here. Would they still feel the need to bear arms if they were over here?