Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Live Fast's Ironically Slow Build

Old 11-15-2019, 08:51 AM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Live Fast's Ironically Slow Build

I'm a used car dealer with an S2000 problem. I have had 7 personal ones that I have put over 10k miles on at least. My previous S2000 I sold with 320+ thousand miles to a friend of a friend who managed to kill it in a 3 months. I added all of the reliability modifications & had driven the car for 8 hours straight without issue. Turns out, he added a stand alone ECU and was cold redlining it at 8500rpm every day and every gear. He'd also drag race his friends, no lift shifting, and over reving it even with his raised redline.... I was honestly impressed it lasted that long after finding that out.

I went to a 987.1 Cayman with a 997.1 swap. a LS3 C6 Corvette, a Turbo NB Miata, and a C7 Corvette (cheapest clean title under 100k miles) when I finally decided it was time to come home....

=====| Found the Car |=====

Spoiler

=====| Plans/Goals |=====

Spoiler

=====| Modifications |=====

It's a short list right now. The owners kept it very stock, the car didn't even have the front air damns ever installed!

Spoiler

=====| Future Plans |=====

While I am not completely dead set on these, it's what I have decided for now. Based off some suggestions I might change them but here's what I got on mind.

Spoiler

=====| Wish List |=====

While many of these items aren't rediculously priced, combined they do add up. I may or may not add these items later but it will be longer.

Spoiler

=====| Suggestions |=====
While this is my build, I'm not completely set on everything. I would like to hear some opinions and reviews from people about these subjects/parts.

Spoiler

=====| Closing |=====
Unfortunately you have to add spoilers each time you edit a post...annoying on mobile but I will figure it out later.

So far so good. Currently I am going to change the oil, check over the car, test/fix my P1457 error, and clean the underbody of the car a bit more. I do also think I should get some aluminum tape and tape my wheel weights just in case. I do also need to add my modifry soft top straps and find a tonneau cover to use while the hardtop is on. I currently just have an old blanket to protect the top from the sun.

The valve adjustment has already been done as well and retainers look to be in good shape. I do want to experience this a bit more as I enjoy doing the little things.

Thanks for visiting, let me know what you think!

Last edited by Live Fast; 11-15-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:37 AM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Well it's been a rough year since I posted this. Covid really had a huge affect on our lives but since car sales is an essential business I actually drove more.

From 69k to 77k it's been fun!

I did need to get a new Floor Jack and the daily driver STi was down due to a steering rack leaking. This jack somehow fit up front just fine for the trip home EVEN with the hardtop on.

I also picked this up off of Facebook for wayyyy too cheap. All it needed was an oil change and a few seals replaced. Good as new! I did add some quick release attachments to it for easier storage.

It also has a MONSTER of a cord so I just use an extension anyways for it. It's easy enough to get rolled up.

Even with an older foam gun it works great for cleaning the car or the storage shed. I even pressure washed my entire fence out back with no issues. However you guys probably just want to see the car..

I'm sure nobody here wants to know about my maintenance items but 3 oil changes, clutch fluid twice, brake fluid, and a diff bushing (driver side) were all that were done so far.

The previous owner did have LHT Performance do the spark plugs, transmission + differential fluid, a coolant flush, and all so it's pretty well together, I did double check them though. It even had a clean cabin air filter!

​​​​​​The P1457 code was due to a O-ring in the Charcoal canister leaking. I replaced that & it's been solid for almost a full year, I don't think it's coming back.

Billman's 9V battery and suck/blow testing did work to show what was working but pulling the canister I found it was a simple O-ring that I had from a variety pack.

I did manage to pickup some parts and now that I have passed the "I might sell it" part and into the "It just needs..." part I wanted to go through it.

Shaking up the Shifter:
​​​​​​Shift knobs are a preference & I prefer a slightly taller knob on the stock shifter. The leverage gained helps going into gear when everything is cold, it makes finding the right gear even easier, and it slows down my shifting just a tad which makes it smoother.

The Delrin shifter was great for hot days as it doesn't change with temperature but I didn't like the look or fit in my hand. The OEM knob is fine but I just didn't like the height or shift feel. This Skunk2 knob I had from a trade in Civic SI did a decent job as it's a bit heavier than OEM but the height I didn't like still.

Weighted Delrin Knob, Original OEM, Skunk 2 from another car.

The shifter fits nice and doesn't hit the dash or my phone when driving either!

The NSX Type S knob I wanted I actually got for free! One of my father's friends owned an Acura dealership for about 30 years. When visiting my parents he came over & was ogling the S2000 talking about how he loved his & his NSX. After talking with him for awhile while doing my dad's FJ Cruiser's timing belt he left & came back with lunch & a Type S knob that he had on his NSX. It fit like a glove
​​​​

On the driver's side it looks similar but there's my shifter again

And a top down view. I made a Radar detector mount using Modifry's windscreen mount. Much cheaper than one of the Forum guy's and I can swap it to my Go Pro for mountain drives or Autocross. The center console I also found at a Pull-a-Part in an Acura TSX. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and installed it. Maybe I'll wrap it to match the Titanium shifter or Carbon like everyone else...

These Lux Mats came into the market about when I made the post originally but man they hold up well. The 2 piece mats look fantastic but these protect my carpet more. They also have a bit of grip to them as well

Just another view before I added the side clips. With US size 12.5 shoes I still have great dead pedal space to not touch the clutch pedal. It's easy to remove and wipe down or wash with a hose. A bit of 303 is great for a drying aid to add some protection for it too. This is 1 year of use after a wipe down.

When changing the knob I figured let's to it right and also changed the worn shifter bushings and re-greased the transmission. It's a two handed job so I didn't get many pictures to avoid touching my phone with the High Temp Urea Grease. Some people prefer the brass bushing but the plastic is softer so I like having the wear on a serviceable part instead.

After wiping them clean dipping them in some HOT water for a bit helps make them come off easily.
There's been more changes but that's enough for one post.