California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Racing with FSures

Old 09-29-2003, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing with FSures

This passed weekend I went racing with Fred at the Streets at Willow. It was a 2 day event with the Shelby Cobra club. There were 4 S2000's out there including us. The track is freshly paved. There are a couple of good turns with some rooster markings on the pavement. My skills as a driver have improved dramatically. I am still learning the terms used in racing/driving events. Gotta get the lingo down. I met some great people and plan to make this a practice as money will allow. Here's what you can expect at most driving events:

Instruction one on one with an experienced instructor/driver
Safe and respectful drivers
No guts no glory
Passing okay on the straight away
The opportunity to move to the next group pending skills improvement
A great time with great people
Pointers and comparisons

I met all of the S2000 owners. There was a guy there who has the exact model and interior matching mine. Now that is rare. He too was running stock with racing tires. I run stock with street tires and Neuspeed springs. I did put on new brake pads that are racing/street pads. I bought them from Docofmind. Great brakes!!!

By afternoon of the first day I was given the option to join the intermediate group and by the mid morning of the 2nd day I was given the option to race in any class. Technical skills are everything. Speed comes as you hit the marks.

A little instruction and lots of practice goes a long way. Any time you have an opportunity to race with one of the racing clubs, take it. Take it easy on the first couple of rounds and see how well the organizers control the drivers. This will tell you how the weekend will turn out. Some clubs have more control and some have less. Some require roll cages and others do not.

The most important rule... leave your ego at home. This is not truly a race, we leave that to the professionals. All events whether redline, speedventures, or Shelby cobra club are all considered driving events. Accidents happen more often when our ego takes over. This weekend we were completely accident free and only a handful of cars came off the track.

I met some of the most remarkable people and had a blast. It helps to be the only girl or one of three in the crowd.

If you have something to say about driving events or racing on the track, let's have a chat.

Elana
Old 09-29-2003, 10:02 AM

Elana, can u post pics of the gram light exhaust????
Old 09-29-2003, 10:04 AM

is mackin making the gram lights custom for the s2000 or is gram lights making it? anyways, wait till 2004 and macking will soon be major US dist. for ARC. wo hooooooooooo
Old 09-29-2003, 10:10 AM

Still no word from Ryan at Mackin. I had hoped to have the new exhaust before racing this past weekend. I have left 2 messages for Ryan and have received no return calls. They fitted my car made adjustments and took the prototype back to Japan to start manufacturing it. They clipped the EO2 sensor so when I get the exhaust, they'll repair that too.

I'll have pics available from racing soon. I'll have a video clip also but I am not sure how to post that here. No exhaust to show you yet.

Elana
Old 09-29-2003, 10:11 AM

Good deal. Keep us posted.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:22 AM

I have received PM's from some of you requesting information on racing events. I know there are several groups that sponsor S2000 club racing such as Redline, Speedventures, and others. Fred told me there is a Redline event coming up at Streets at Willow 10/24/03.

Check the competition forums on the site and you'll get dates. I will be making contact with the Porche club also as they have taken much of the track time at Streets at Willow. Met a few of them over the weekend.

My initial racing experience was with Speedventures at Buttonwillow and it was great there too. It was well organized and I rode with Cthree who let me really feel what high speed and turns were all about. He is an excellent driver. He took the curves so fast I nearly blew my cookies. I would do it again in a minute. Buttonwillow is a much faster track compared to Streets at Willow.

I still await the beautiful exhaust from Mackin. When I get it, everyone will know. I'd like to see what kind of difference it will make and if I'll be able to feel the difference in driving daily and racing.

I am still flying high from this past weekend. It's better than sex!

Elana
Old 10-02-2003, 01:27 PM

Are there any limitations to the work done? Also when are you next planning on going out to one of these events? I would love to tag along and if possible get a caravan up there and fully represent the s2000`s
Old 10-02-2003, 02:34 PM

I will be in on the next event.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:33 PM

There are no limitations to the modifications on the car. My car has little work done, Fsures has lots of modifications. Both run the track and perform well.

I plan to write and submit an article with photos to some of the car magazines about my experience.

Elana