Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

...best trade it in for a Renault.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:00 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Perhaps Emission test is less strict in UK
Old 01-14-2016, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a load of ignorant nonsense.

As the owner of a 2-litre Diesel Golf that's in the firing line here, I firstly resent the assertion that in buying the car my life had taken a turn for the worse. That is a puerile, stupid and ignorant comment. The Golf is an excellent car for everyday use, and the performance of the 2-litre in particular is well suited to today's traffic, and given the amount and spread of torque that the engine possesses, very much better than simply "adequate". I ordered it as my company car before I took early retirement, and when I did so I had the opportunity to buy it, which I was more than happy to do.

I believe that owners such as myself should be compensated, as the car's residual value has been blighted by VW's underhand attempt to bypass the emission regulations which, in themselves, can be seen to be inadequate, as simply programming the Engine Management System to recognise test conditions could defeat the purpose of the test. What is disappointing is that it was VW - traditionally builders of good, honest, reliable, well-specified and trustworthy cars which have, until last September, held their value better than most of the opposition.

If Fiat or Renault (yes, I have seen today's news) had been caught cheating the tests would it have caused as much of a furore? Possibly not. But good old, staid, reliable VW? Now that was a surprise.

VW themselves are having to deal with the fallout, which is much wider and more serious than you can possibly imagine. They have loans totalling billions of Euro with the ECB, which have covenants attached to them, giving the ECB the right to call in the loans if certain ongoing criteria are not met. These will include reputational damage, and share price, the two being largely interdependent. the ECB will have secured the loans against VW shares, hence the problem. VW's Dealers are also shareholders, so their net worth will have taken a hammering.

VW are having to do a lot of high-profile damage limitation, and quickly. Compensating owners is not high on their list of priorities, but it is not an issue that they cannot afford to ignore. In the US and other important markets, Class Action lawsuits are being evolved, and there are plans afoot to start such an action here in the UK.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:27 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
I want a cheap deal.
Nottm might be able to oblige (so to speak)

He has a VW Golf diseasel.

Try him
Old 01-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Can someone provide a link to one of the affected cars being offered at a knock down price?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I own 3 VWs and I haven't yet had a call from the ambulance chasers about getting compensation, has it not
taken off yet? Greed, Greed, Greed why? My VWs have all been totally reliable and so have cost little to run in
comparison to a lot of the cr%p out there. Hitler did get one thing right, the peoples car is everywhere and still
good value. Rant over peace and love.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Can someone provide a link to one of the affected cars being offered at a knock down price?
Don't hold your breath Gad!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As soon as someone finds a knock down diesel vag show me as I feckin want one.

I know that Passats are the same market rate as they were when I sold mine in Jan 15.

The hit on used VW prices appears to be a fallacy as I seriously am after one now and it looks like there's no change in the market at all.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For those talking about 'class action' on here, I'm not sure how legally trained you are as the concept of mass torts in a class action sense ala the US does not have a direct UK equivalent. The UK legal system had no remotely equivalent concept at all until last year and even after this point, this is a very different legal landscape.

There could be a collective pursuit via the CRA but the losers are at risk. I will watch any attempts with interest. If the aggrieved parties on here, waiting their action are that aggrieved, bring a private claim... Or is this going to be a '+1' legal case? You know, the 'me too' Facebook approach.

The way its handled over here is to try and restrict the excesses associated with this sort of claim.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
As soon as someone finds a knock down diesel vag show me as I feckin want one.

I know that Passats are the same market rate as they were when I sold mine in Jan 15.

The hit on used VW prices appears to be a fallacy as I seriously am after one now and it looks like there's no change in the market at all.
I heard there was typical dip in the couple of weeks following the news cming out but since then normal service has resumed.

Last time I heard about collapsing prices was back in the midst of the Greek crisis.

I was told every Greek plumber had a Cayenne GTS they needed to offload at any price, or they faced starvation, etc.

Needless to say, I found plenty for sale, at UK equivalent prices and lhd.

Quick Reply: Got a cheating VW, naff off!