Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Motorcycle live

Old 11-29-2016, 03:26 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Aside from the MT09 and the VFR-X i still have this one :

The VFR-X is the least tiring bike of the bunch by a rather wide margin at any speed.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Beauty. Are those early blades collectible?

Like !
Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 AM
jml

Talking

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Beauty. Are those early blades collectible?

Like !
They sure are. Runs like it left the factory.
All i ever had to do to it - apart from maintenance oc - was replace the cam chain tensioner (sounds familiar ? )
Old 11-30-2016, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves

Looks perfect;y normal to me.

Pat's got a point, but I think the idea is you should be going fast enough for the aero to take the weight off your wrists as much as it does your arse and ankles, so that the mass distribution is constant.

With a naked upright, your wrists can ache from trying to hold on at a decent lick. Which does at least have the advantage of making one go slightly less fast and ending up like fig.1 above.

I can sort of see why the fashion has reverted, to smaller, more upright bikes given modern conditions. I's still want one with stabilisers or gravel tyres for our local dust tracks though. At least of there were no tarmac left, enduro tyres would sink in and provide some grip.
It's not your wrists that ache, its you core and neck. You have to keep the weight off your wrists as much as possible because they control the bike.

Having done my time on a naked, I wouldn't get another for commuting because the fairings don't half take the cold and wind blast off you.

Back on topic, there were plenty of nakeds available at the show, but sports tourers seemed a bit thin on the ground.

Obviously the VFR series is a fave, but a slightly bigger sports bike with a 750 inline four would be better. If Suzuki did a version of their GSX-S FA with a 750 engine, it's be ideal. They do a 1000 version, but I think it's needless.

I think nakeds are a bit of a fashion item at the moment. Three of the big Jap four had them in spades, Honda not so much. BMW also in on the act, but not really a surprise.

For a bit of fun, brilliant but I found that cruising above 80mph became tiresome whereas on the GSXR you can do 120 forever and it's effortless.

I might look at a 2011 CBR600F which is my hornet with a fairing. Perfect commuter bike. However, I want a ZX10R...in white
Old 11-30-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Good pic on the fallen race bike So many people taking that massively seriously ..... saw a couple of pissed up folk have a go also.

I guess as far as bikes go, it depends what you want from one / what it needs to do for you and i also suspect ( money being no issue) the answer is ( as it is for cars) more than one bike.

Looks like Nick Graves is right again.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:42 AM
jml

Originally Posted by unclefester
I guess as far as bikes go, it depends what you want from one / what it needs to do for you and i also suspect ( money being no issue) the answer is ( as it is for cars) more than one bike.
Indeed.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
It's not your wrists that ache, its you core and neck. You have to keep the weight off your wrists as much as possible because they control the bike.
everything used to ache on mine. I used to commute from Nottingham to Northants in the summer on a CBR600RR and the wrists were def the first to hurt as soon as i got stuck in traffic. There was one village just off the A45 which used to get rammed and the road was too narrow to filter. it was a fricking mare but the rest of the journey was great, loads of overtaking ops and some cracking roads. without traffic i was quicker in the car they were that twisty but it was never without traffic really

so local commutes for me you want an upright position. Traffic you want a light, agile bike like my CRF. Longer it's not really a starter for me in winter. I went into the city the other day on my bike and just half an hour left me freezing, you'd need to dress like the fecking michelin man!
Old 12-01-2016, 01:20 AM
jml

everything used to ache on mine. I used to commute from Nottingham to Northants in the summer on a CBR600RR and the wrists were def the first to hurt as soon as i got stuck in traffic. There was one village just off the A45 which used to get rammed and the road was too narrow to filter. it was a fricking mare but the rest of the journey was great, loads of overtaking ops and some cracking roads. without traffic i was quicker in the car they were that twisty but it was never without traffic really

so local commutes for me you want an upright position. Traffic you want a light, agile bike like my CRF. Longer it's not really a starter for me in winter. I went into the city the other day on my bike and just half an hour left me freezing, you'd need to dress like the fecking michelin man!
Product | Richa
I know why i use mostly the VFR-X this time of year.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by jml
Product Richa
I know why i use mostly the VFR-X this time of year.
it's warmer where you are?

I have a Dainese jacket with liner but i think i'd need another thick layer below that and then i start to become immobile in terms of the tightness
Old 12-02-2016, 01:13 AM
jml

it's warmer where you are?

I have a Dainese jacket with liner but i think i'd need another thick layer below that and then i start to become immobile in terms of the tightness
In general temps are higher in Bruges than the UK, but oc a lot of the time i'm in the Périgord (hence the naked bike)