Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Sea change moment ?

Old 11-01-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Not just phones, a Range Rover went past me this morning with 'Mum' driving the daughter to school - except she wasn't watching the road, she was head down reading a kids story book to the daughter.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:09 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
I think it will be completely different.

If I choose to walk, cycle or ride my horse down the middle of the road at the moment it will only be a question of time before someone punches me, runs me/us over or intervenes in some other way to get me out of their fecking way.

I'm not sure there will be an aggression function with autonomous cars - they will simply take a passive approach - and pedestrians et al will quickly work that out and use it to their advantage.

The rest of us in our old classics will just drive straight at the feckers.

It could be like the parting of the Red Sea.

Whatever happened to your "I slow down for horses" policy?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk.../#post20778117

I remember a thread like this before...

I've no vested interest in horse owners - I don't ride horses and I don't understand them

However, I'm used to encountering them on roads round here

I'm aware that they can be spooked by a noisy car 400yds away, so steaming up to them and then slowing down really doesn't help

And I would never pass a horse with my speed at much more than 5-6mph

You really have to give it a good distance before you speed up again too

It's not something that has ever inconvenienced me

What DOES inconvenience and irritate me is riders wearing low vis clothing in poor light conditions

PS I only remembered that comment because I agree entirely.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rest of us in our old classics will just drive straight at the feckers.
That's assuming old classics are 'allowed' to be driven on the roads by the masses; they'll very likely be priced off the road by untenable insurance costs if there's no autonomous functionality in the vehicle...

As for errant cyclists, horse riders and pedestrians upsetting the driverless equilibrium, there'll be a 'Pause' button to halt progress of the vehicle and allow passenger egress en masse for a really good punch-up and slagging fest.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:11 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

T he rich will simply buy a racetrack - those will be available for almost free because they will be seen as massively socially undesirable. If i had one, i'd make urinals out of old Appple II
Old 11-02-2016, 02:31 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist
That's assuming old classics are 'allowed' to be driven on the roads by the masses; they'll very likely be priced off the road by untenable insurance costs if there's no autonomous functionality in the vehicle...

As for errant cyclists, horse riders and pedestrians upsetting the driverless equilibrium, there'll be a 'Pause' button to halt progress of the vehicle and allow passenger egress en masse for a really good punch-up and slagging fest.
This is already beginning to happen in London. there is a proposal that cars registered before 2006 will be subject to an additional emissions charge.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...-emission-zone
Old 11-02-2016, 02:59 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist

Not in your lifetime, or mine. Certainly not our driving lifespans.

Which is frankly all I care about.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovegroova
This is already beginning to happen in London. there is a proposal that cars registered before 2006 will be subject to an additional emissions charge.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...-emission-zone
Since most true classics are a) owned by people with a bit of wedge and b) only used occasionally

I can't see that being much of a problem even if it was rolled out nationally (which it won't be)

Getting ratty old Mondeos and Meganes off the road gets my vote every time

Along with reducing the number of peasants cluttering up the road
Old 11-02-2016, 03:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The Europrats have been doing precisely that for years, now. Blaming city pollution on a handful of classics and not the millions of compression-ignition mobile gas chambers they've encouraged over the past three decades.

The only question these too-thick-for-the-private-sector brigade fail to spot is how does a Youngtimer become a true Klassiker if it's not to be used during the interim period until it's 25 year old?

Fortunately, there are probably far fewer potential classic cars these days, even if (in Germany at least) the interest in classic cars in increasing.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
The Europrats have been doing precisely that for years, now. Blaming city pollution on a handful of classics and not the millions of compression-ignition mobile gas chambers they've encouraged over the past three decades.

The only question these too-thick-for-the-private-sector brigade fail to spot is how does a Youngtimer become a true Klassiker if it's not to be used during the interim period until it's 25 year old?

Fortunately, there are probably far fewer potential classic cars these days, even if (in Germany at least) the interest in classic cars in increasing.
Yes, one diesel bus used for 12 hours a day, 365 days a year versus a 1500cc petrol Triumph Spitfire used twice a month for a couple of hours between March and Sept.

Priorities, eh?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Honda will focus CR-V production in Canada for North America.
Greg Layson
Automotive News Europe
November 1, 2016 19:20 CET
Honda no longer plans to capitalize on a newly signed free-trade agreement between Canada and the European Union to increase the number of vehicles it exports from its factory in Alliston, Ontario.

As recently as 2015 and specifically citing the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), Honda said its Alliston plant would produce the new CR-V model for the European market, marking the first time its Canadian arm would export vehicles to Europe.

"The negotiation of a free trade agreement with Europe by the Government of Canada under CETA was a catalyst for our decision to export CR-Vs," Honda Canada Chief Executive Jerry Chenkin said in a statement at the time.

Honda announced its change in plans just one day after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau traveled to Brussels to sign the historic trade deal, which will allow Canadian automakers to ship up to 100,000 vehicles to the European Union, tariff free.

Honda now tells Automotive News Canada it will instead focus on supplying the North American market through its Ontario operation.

“Due to greater-than-anticipated demand for the current generation CR-V and the 2016 Honda Civic within the North American region, Honda of Canada Mfg. (HCM) is no longer planning to produce and export next generation European-spec CR-V units to that [European] market,” Honda Canada spokeswoman Laura Heasman wrote in a emailed statement.

“Resources previously allocated to European-spec CR-V production will now be allocated to CR-Vs for the North American market.”

Strong demand in N.A.

The CR-V set a new all-time annual U.S. sales record in 2015, selling 345,647 units while it maintained its position as the best-selling SUV in the United States that year. The automaker had sold 263,493 units through Sept. 30, 2016, ahead of last year’s pace by 3,999.

Honda will now increase daily production at its Alliston Plant 2 facility to 850 units per day to help fulfill domestic CR-V demand.

Canadians bought 33,931 units through Sept. 30, 2016, up 4,633 from the same time last year.

The Alliston plant has an annual capacity of 390,000 units and employs about 4,000 people.

“Honda’s global production strategy is to produce and supply vehicles within local markets,” Heasman wrote.

The automaker’s production capabilities are extremely flexible, which allows for prompt global business decisions to be made to meet fluctuating market conditions, Heasman added.

Notes:

That'll help the production bottleneck in the US/CD markets!

Is that an implication that Swindon might get the CR-V as well, or they'll bring is EU ones from Japan.

"Free" trade agreement, or hedging on Brexit?

Interesting...

Quick Reply: Sea change moment ?