Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

What is it with people on horses?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it with people on horses?

Just got called a "F...ing areshole" by a woman on a horse. I'd already slowed down to 10mph and passed her as wide as possible.

I think she got a shock when I stopped and asked her why. Apparently I should have waited until there was more room half a mile up the road - 2 cars can pass on that bit of road easily.

Note to the dozy bint. If your horse can't cope with being on the road don't ride it there. And if you're going to mutter abuse to other road users, make sure they're not driving a convertible with the roof down. Idiot!

My family has had horses as long as I can remember and I am quite capable of safely and slowing negotiating them on the road.

Rant over!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that you very rarely see men riding horses on the road. It is usually females of varying ages.

Why is that?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 PM

Unfortunately it's one of those situations where there's loads I wished I'd said. But in fact just told her I'd given her plenty of room and not to be so rude to people in future.

She'll get a shock when I VTEC past her tomorrow morning
Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Heinz '57
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that you very rarely see men riding horses on the road. It is usually females of varying ages.

Why is that?
I got flagged down last year on a NSL piece of road by a woman standing on the side of the road. I stopped to check she waa ok and she replied that her kids were on horses half a mile down the road (which I could see) and she thought I was driving too fast - I was doing around 30mph at the time - because they were young and unsteady. Why the f... were they on the NSL road then? I did ask her this (more politely) but got a mouthful of abuse then too.

Grumpy fecking idiots these horse riders.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I remember a thread like this before...

I've no vested interest in horse owners - I don't ride horses and I don't understand them

However, I'm used to encountering them on roads round here

I'm aware that they can be spooked by a noisy car 400yds away, so steaming up to them and then slowing down really doesn't help

And I would never pass a horse with my speed at much more than 5-6mph

You really have to give it a good distance before you speed up again too

It's not something that has ever inconvenienced me

What DOES inconvenience and irritate me is riders wearing low vis clothing in poor light conditions
Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had exactly this last summer, went flying around a corner on full VTEC chat and about 1000yds away was a woman riding a horse. It was plenty of time to slow down, which I did to a crawl, long before passing and she had a go at me telling me I was driving too fast etc. very rudely.

I responded to her by actually stopping my car and giving her my response, which was that firstly I had plenty of time to slow down, was within the national speed limit and if she didn't like it that she should go and ride the horse on the hundreds of bridleways around the area instead of on the road. Seems like a typical attitude of horse riders...and now that it's been mentioned it is always women!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:26 AM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
I remember a thread like this before...

I've no vested interest in horse owners - I don't ride horses and I don't understand them

However, I'm used to encountering them on roads round here

I'm aware that they can be spooked by a noisy car 400yds away, so steaming up to them and then slowing down really doesn't help

And I would never pass a horse with my speed at much more than 5-6mph

You really have to give it a good distance before you speed up again too

It's not something that has ever inconvenienced me

What DOES inconvenience and irritate me is riders wearing low vis clothing in poor light conditions
I also have no interest in horses other than in eating them, and very nice they are too.

Slowing down and giving them a wide berth seems like sense to me,they have been known to kick!

But why is it always women,is there some biological reason why they like to ride horses? You rarely see a man go all soft over horses.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

With regards to the 'blind corner' .. we've a few of those around my house and ALL the riders know my car so i don't do silly speeds around the areas i know there may be a horse and rider. Simons approach of higher gear less VTEC works well.

You shouldn't be going any faster than the safe distance you can see to stop in - all well and good being in the right but if you hit 1ton plus of horse, you'll be dead and right - that's a fail
Old 07-14-2011, 01:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Loads of horses on the roads around where i live. Its quite a rural area and very much hunting territory so you do see horses being ridden on the road a lot.

I always make a point of slowing right down and give them a very wide berth. Without fail, the riders have always put up a hand to say thank you, usually with a smile. I've never seen any sign of rudeness or arrogance from the riders.

Maybe you're just unlucky with the calibre of rider that you have in your area.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:27 AM

Are horses the new cats?

Quick Reply: What is it with people on horses?