Health & Fitness A place to discuss health and fitness to help promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

Any S2K Cyclist out there?

Old 09-16-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Strava is such a huge distraction from the primary purpose I ride a bike. Sigh.
I just make sure the time is shorter than the previous time.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Originally Posted by FearlessFife' timestamp='1473766191' post='24060960
Yeah, I think that is a good policy overall. My problem is it detracts from my primary purpose of riding - simply enjoying the ride. Now that I pay attention to Strava, I feel as though I am thinking far too much about segment times as I am out and about versus just having fun as I used to.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:41 PM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it to keep track of my miles for the week/month. The trick with Strava is to have a plan before you go ride, like this is going to be a chill fun ride and I don't give a shit about it. Or I will pick one segment to go balls out and see how I do and then ride the rest. It's also kinda fun for the group I ride with to give each other some shit about KOM in a certain segment.

Don't let it take over the fun.....just use it for what you want!!
Old 09-21-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie' timestamp='1474066480' post='24063622
[quote name='FearlessFife' timestamp='1473766191' post='24060960']
Yeah, I think that is a good policy overall. My problem is it detracts from my primary purpose of riding - simply enjoying the ride. Now that I pay attention to Strava, I feel as though I am thinking far too much about segment times as I am out and about versus just having fun as I used to.
[/quote]
I hear you on getting "segment vision," which on a mountain bike could be useful. However, on my road bike, I don't worry about it: any hills are only going to get better with more way more time (not just doing the last week vs. this week comparo), and the aggregate time is only going to get better over more miles, not focusing on specific miles.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Originally Posted by FearlessFife' timestamp='1474391901' post='24065959
[quote name='UnkieTrunkie' timestamp='1474066480' post='24063622']
[quote name='FearlessFife' timestamp='1473766191' post='24060960']
[/quote]
I hear you on getting "segment vision," which on a mountain bike could be useful. However, on my road bike, I don't worry about it: any hills are only going to get better with more way more time (not just doing the last week vs. this week comparo), and the aggregate time is only going to get better over more miles, not focusing on specific miles.
[/quote]

Yeah I started using Strava when I started mountain biking specifically for this reason. When I raced road we used power and a specific training program to gauge efforts/map progress. On a MTB you can use power, but due to the nature of the efforts it isn't as helpful, plus being good on a MTB isn't just about watts (although it helps).

You want to talk about taking the fun out of riding a bike though, training with power did it for me. There is no getting away from it, the watts don't lie and I would say very few people can do an interval workout remotely as consistent as they can with power. Which is good and bad, you get good workouts, but you can only push through so much before you have had enough. Even Strava allows you to letup without being right in your face. After burning out in 2014 due to being turned into a robot, I gave up all power except for indoors in the winter and only use Strava. It is a good simple way to track my training and I have key segments for given durations that I target for training/to look at progress.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Community Organizer

Just checking in...

Where is everyone at for the year? It has been a good season, but the end is nigh...closing in on my mileage goal for the year, and weather permitting, I will eclipse that goal easily. Recently did the Tour de BBQ here in Kansas City, which I always do the 60-mile route - had a blast being in with the front group of good riders this year.

Happy pedaling...
Old 10-17-2016, 05:15 PM

Finished up my season weekend before this last. Took 3rd/2nd/2nd in the last 3 races of the season to finish 2nd overall Pro Open class in the regional series, so a great way to cap off a season. We took a great family trip on the GAP trail this past weekend and it was totally awesome. I am really not sure where I am mileage wise, I was over 6200 last I checked so maybe around 6500, which is quite a bit considering over 50% was on dirt!

No clue what next season will bring, at the moment I am not really too sure I will race again next season, it was a big commitment to do what I did this season! We will see how I feel in a couple months though. Right now I am doing a bit of running to stay fit.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:30 AM

First race of the year, based on the start list it could be interesting!
Attached Thumbnails Any S2K Cyclist out there?-img_2194.png  
Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 AM
Community Organizer

I'm still 93 days from my first event of the year, but chomping at the bit to get more saddle time outside and not on the trainer.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:58 PM

Shitty day for me, had big time tire issues (like keeping air from escaping from big holes). Did help Hincapie fix his bike when we both stopped at one point, which was sorta neat, but I would have rather beat him. My teammate did beat Lance, which is cool! I got to chat with Lance a little bit, he really seems like a cool guy IMO.
Attached Thumbnails Any S2K Cyclist out there?-img_2205.jpg  

Quick Reply: Any S2K Cyclist out there?