S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

What happened to my Odometer????

Old 01-28-2004, 07:46 PM
SaV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to my Odometer????

Sorry for the "cross-posting." I was driving downtown today and noticed that my odometer had completely dissappeared. All the functions of the display work (the buttons, rpm, mph, water temp, etc ...) work, but the odometer mileage as well as the trip mileage are gone. I've done everything I can think of like disconnecting the odometer from the wire harness, disconnecting the battery, and everything else I can think of. Lastly, the bulbs did not burn out because upon start up, the mileage does show up (i.e. 8888888). Does anyone have any thoughts about my problem?

Here is what I am talking about.

A picture to show you that the bulbs didn't burn out (when ignition is turned to "on").

P.S. The reason why the numbers are Red is b/c I have the Randy Gauge Color Kit.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:04 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

This post will be absolutely no help to you, but WOW....

Several years ago, I know a guy who had an MR2 where the instrument cluster died when it was only a year old. He took it to Toyota, and they voided his warranty because the mileage couldn't be determined. Unbelievable, since the breaking odometer WAS a warranty issue in and of itself.

I hope your story ends better than his did...
Old 01-29-2004, 08:08 AM

Hmmmm you modded the color of the gauges, and now they don't work

Any chance your install of the color kit didn't mess something up? You know that's where the dealer's finger will be pointing ...
Old 01-29-2004, 08:14 AM

Who cares? Adds to resale value
2000 Honda S2000... zero miles!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:24 AM

Received 1,274 Likes on 777 Posts

The dealer will surly blame the dash mod, and may rip up your warranty. Find other means to get it fixed.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you keep the original OEM dash insert when you did Randy's mod? If not...lemme know. I still have mine. I would *strongly* suggest that you replace the dash back to OEM before bringing this point to your dealer's attention.

Randy's mod should be completely non-intrusive. However, there is a wired cable/line that, when the front glass face was lifted to gain access to the filter area, you might have disconnected/broken a contact.

Curious...when did you do Randy's mod? Again...this is an academic question at this point because you have a problem that needs investigating. And resale "HELL" is what you'll appreciate if you don't get this resolved.

So again...best advice is get your dash "looking" OEM stock asap.

- Dave
Old 01-29-2004, 09:06 AM
SaV

Thanks for the replies, guys! The Color Filter kit was installed a year and a half with no problems at all. By the way, my warranty is over so I really don't care about it (unless it can be a required out of warranty fix). This really sucks because I can't tell my mileage anymore. I guess it is going to be every 2 months for an oil change now.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:08 AM

[QUOTE]Who cares? Adds to resale value
Old 01-30-2004, 03:20 PM

This is the reason why I dont do odometer mods. If odometer doesnt work, or damaged or tampred the cars wholesale value drops in half. A 2000 S2000 with TMU, (true miles unknown) will worth around $8K-$10K. I am not joking.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:51 PM
MGD

Has this problem been resolved by anyone as I have the exact problem and would like some fedback. Thanks

Quick Reply: What happened to my Odometer????