S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The RR Journals: Dissecting GM Syncromesh FM

Old 08-12-2004, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The RR Journals: Dissecting GM Syncromesh FM

Well, I got my 6-qt case from GMPARTSDIRECT,COM. Not sure it is the best deal, as they added a $14 "handling" charge and $5 of shipping for cryin' out loud!

The good news is that all the ingredients are listed:

1) "Severely solvent refined, solvent de-waxed, heavy parafinnic petroleum distillates"
RR: This is the "semi-synthetic" base oil. It is likely a GIII hydrocracked mineral oil - I love the use of the word 'severely'. Shows some poetic creativity on some engineer's part. This is a better base oil than Honda's MTF, but not as good as Red Line's. That does not mean it is not a better tranny lube, however.

2) "Benzene, C10-16 alkyl derivatives"
RR: Also known as Benzenesulfonic acid, this is used in, of all things, Clorox bleach! It is a surfactant, here used I would imagine to keep parts clean; it may also act as a carrier for the other ingredients.

3) "Methacrylic acid, copolymer of 'methyl' and 'lauryl' esters"
RR: Here is used as an ester oil. This is the synthetic part of the formulation, and is chemically representative of esters in general; highest resistance to heat degeneration, high detergency. Good stuff. In other forms it is often used to make contact lenses.

4) "Sulfonic acids, petroleum, magnesium salts"
RR: These are the friction modifiers - they may also play a part in friction reduction.

5) "Hydrotreated heavy parafinnic petroleum disitillates"
RR Similar to #1, but not as purified - less 'severe'; could be somewhere between a GII and GIII.

6) "Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate"
RR: The is the famous ZDP you have seen mention frequently - these compounds represent the best anti-wear tyechnology yet developed - the SL engine oils have reduced amounts to save the mfr's having to pay for catalytic converter damage. The oil industry supposedly added other chemistry to make up for the reduced ZDP. Let's hope that they used a lot here, as they do not have to pander to the car mfr's.

I would say this is an excellent formulation - better than Honda's MTF, and very competitive with Red Line. It should have a bit less service life, but if it offers better gear action than RL MTL or MT-90, I think gearheads would gladly give up longevity for shift feel.

Nice job, GM.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice....this is just an analysis of the ingredient lists correct. Or did you actually run it through an oil analysis to? Just curious...
Old 08-12-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review as usual RR.

Will you be performing a VOA on the fluid by chance?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=CrazyPhuD,Aug 12 2004, 05:37 PM] Very nice....this is just an analysis of the ingredient lists correct.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by honda606,Aug 12 2004, 05:41 PM
Great review as usual RR.

Will you be performing a VOA on the fluid by chance?
Probably - but it would likely only tell us how much of the salts and the ZDP are in there, and the fluid is what it is.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on 15k miles on this change and it still feels pretty well for whatever that's worth. I should be changing it soon due to I don't think 20k between changes is good.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:42 PM

damn 15k miles on tranny fluid...i try to switch every 8-10k...lol
Old 08-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to change every 10-15... but I've been busy lately and lots of not-so-hard driving miles on there.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Rage,Aug 12 2004, 06:29 PM
I would say this is an excellent formulation - better than Honda's MTF, and very competitive with Red Line. It should have a bit less service life, but if it offers better gear action than RL MTL or MT-90, I think gearheads would gladly give up longevity for shift feel.
Thx for your insight.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:22 AM

I switched to this tranny fluid on Saturday... so far it's awesome. A little notchy when cold (but not anymore than Honda MTF) but shifts soooo smooth when warmed up. I had the non friction modified in my old accord and it shifted really smooth as well.

Quick Reply: The RR Journals: Dissecting GM Syncromesh FM